Subject: Do you ever (maybe want to) play on a non-table environment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi!

As title says,
Do you ever want to/would like to play on an environment without a table?

As in a car/plane travel, a line or even in a place with a table but you don't want to use it**

So as I started developing a game to play in such occasions and I wondered, is anyone else that would like that? Either Solo or not!

I know there are a handful of games that does this already, but I'm just wondering
Sorry for the longer than needed threat! and thanks for any input!

** As weird as that sounds, whenever I go to a cafe with either a notebook or a card game, I end up using my cellphone because either, I'm apprehensive to a curious/critical eye or I feel like the table is small/dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Hive at the beach on the sand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
AvidHunter wrote:
I've played Hive at the beach on the sand.

Having a 'sand-table'doesn't really count as no table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
I'd love if more games would be playable on a soft surface, like a bed, as I hugely prefer beds over chairs and often play games in bed (especially when playing solo) - in most cases I have to use the top of an IKEA Lack table to create an even, hard surface to play my games on. Would love if there were games (that I enjoy) that you can play "out of the box" as in using the box as the table space you do your stuff on etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't wanted to while standing in line or anything, but I have wanted a physical game for camping/going to the park that's more gamey than something like bocci ball or frisbee. So far, the closest I've come up with is giant zendo, played with multicolored traffic cones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019DXVCGU?tag=article-boardgamege...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Any games like Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series, Lost Worlds, Star Wars: Starfighter Battle Books, Warhammer Warriors Battle Books or the zillions of variants of those have no boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I play Rhino Hero and Junk Art on the assess of prostitutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.

I've mounted games on tin and put magnets on the counters and hung them on the back of the bedroom door or on the wall.

I have since changed to using plexiglass and poster tack but the idea is the same. Mounting the game on a vertical surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
As much as the answers here have actually been useful, i think i haven't been clear about what i wanted

Playing on a place where you can't have cards laid out, just your hands..or maybe 1-3 cards down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schootle S
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I once played Dark Stories in car travel with a cousin. It's nice to have those kind of games that are easy to carry and can be played in such occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
As much as the answers here have actually been useful, i think i haven't been clear about what i wanted

Playing on a place where you can't have cards laid out, just your hands..or maybe 1-3 cards down.

Gnomi
is designed to be played in your hands.

I remember reading about another game like this a year or so ago but I don't recall the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Love Letter in queues quite a bit. We were at Universal Studios Japan, which involved quite a bit of waiting around.

The deck goes in a pocket, the removed card in another pocket, and each turn you draw a card, then choose one card to slide around the other to face your opponent(s). It works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam ko
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oddball Äeronauts is a card game made to play without a surface to place the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samko wrote:
oddball Äeronauts is a card game made to play without a surface to place the cards.

Yeah, I've played oddball Äeronauts while standing in a queue at the airport and also a few four player games on the bus (using the expansion). It is really good that it doesn't need a table.

I've also played Catan Card Game with my GF on the floor of a tiny two man tent with just a torch for lighting!

Thinking of it, Cubulus is another game that doesn't require a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I have played Love Letter in queues quite a bit. We were at Universal Studios Japan, which involved quite a bit of waiting around.

The deck goes in a pocket, the removed card in another pocket, and each turn you draw a card, then choose one card to slide around the other to face your opponent(s). It works pretty well.

Played Love Letter quite a bit on the floor in airports, as well as on a coach bus using a saxophone case as a playing surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure that there is a Decktet game which can be played without a table.

tecocohen wrote:
As weird as that sounds, whenever I go to a cafe with either a notebook or a card game, I end up using my cellphone because either, I'm apprehensive to a curious/critical eye or I feel like the table is small/dirty.

I know what you mean about tables not being clean - I tend to play game that can be played with standard playing cards (The Resistance, Clubs, Cribbage) or games with wipe clean components (Hive Pocket, Pentago, Push It) if I'm in a cafe/bar/pub. I'm not bothered what other people think (if anyone has said anything then they have always been friendly & interested).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great appeals of Spyfall is that you can play it pretty much anywhere, especially sitting down in comfortable chairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.