Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there

If a game uses the TOP LID of the box as a board... how does that make you feel? The box is small, the game is abstract puzzle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Hey there

If a game uses the TOP LID of the box as a board... how does that make you feel? The box is small, the game is abstract puzzle game.

Efficient.

For a small abstract game, I think this is perfectly fine, and would appreciate the efficiency in terms of cost, space, and weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would not like. Boxes are not sturdy. I want a sturdy play surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make me feel like I am doing the board game equivalent of camping. Making do with limited facilities on hand.

Also, playing on a raised surface would make the setup easier to being accidentally knocked by players hands. When we are used to the playing surface being at the same level as the rest of the table, this would probably happen more frequently than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Hey there

It makes me feel like the producer cheaped out on providing a proper board.

Kind of like old monopoly sets where the rules were printed inside the box lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Depends on the size of the box...

If it's about 6-8" square (and no more than 2" tall), then no problem at all, but any larger and I would prefer a separate board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Would not like. Boxes are not sturdy. I want a sturdy play surface.

thumbsup Thanks for all your replies.

A few things to mention:
1 The box is 2"tall and 5.5" x 5.5".
2 The top lid would need to be pressed fairly hard to make it bend downwards.
3 The game I'm considering is KIKA ([WIP] KIKA - 972 Colour Matching Games for 2-4 Players) a 10-20min game with tiles you place.
4 The board is optional to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

Seems too small to be a useful board. The gameplay in the link you sent look like the game requires more then 5.5" x 5.5".

ex1st wrote:

It's not just a matter of pushing down on the box. It's bumping the box, and simple the feeling of placing and picking up pieces on the box.

ex1st wrote:

Then I'm not sure why this discussion matters. If it works for some people, ok. If not for others, ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it upside-down, like in Rattle, Battle, Grab the Loot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
ex1st wrote:
Hey there

Sadly, this is exactly how it comes across, as I've found out the hard way

I wanted to go for "efficient" as well and printed the not really crucial "these are the 6 regions you can go to" board for my game "Das Katastrophenspiel" http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211274/das-katastrophensp... on the back of the box. It was not well received, so I would urge you to provide a game board, if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan The Dwarf
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Seems too small to be a useful board. The gameplay in the link you sent look like the game requires more then 5.5" x 5.5".

I would be concerned that the box would limit where the players could place their tiles. Your tile placement options drastically decrease when you get to the edge of the box top and there'e a 2" drop off.

I'm also interested in what the box/board would look like. I imagine a grid of diamonds and wonder if it would have shelf appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xabier P
Spain
Donostia
Gipuzkoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:

When the box is upside-down putting the hands in and out to reach game bits can feel uncomfortable, specially for big hands.

2 inches is not that high, but you have the risk of an earthquake, grabbing the box with you by accident when putting the hand out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
seasnan wrote:
I'm also interested in what the box/board would look like. I imagine a grid of diamonds and wonder if it would have shelf appeal.

I posted an image on the WIP thread to take the "design" discussion over to that forum: [WIP] KIKA - 972 Colour Matching Games for 2-4 Players

Orophin wrote:
jbrecken wrote:

When the box is upside-down putting the hands in and out to reach game bits can feel uncomfortable, specially for big hands.

2 inches is not that high, but you have the risk of an earthquake, grabbing the box with you by accident when putting the hand out of it.

It is different. Not upside down. You take the lid off the box and place it on the table (showing the top of the box).

seasnan wrote:
curtc wrote:
ex1st wrote:

I would be concerned that the box would limit where the players could place their tiles. Your tile placement options drastically decrease when you get to the edge of the box top and there'e a 2" drop off.

That is exactly the point. The board provides limitations.

curtc wrote:
ex1st wrote:

It's not just a matter of pushing down on the box. It's bumping the box, and simple the feeling of placing and picking up pieces on the box.

Yeah, bumping is an issue. The tiles are 3mm thick, so they have some weight. But I know what you mean.

curtc wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Then I'm not sure why this discussion matters. If it works for some people, ok. If not for others, ok.

Right now there are 2916 variants... 972 if we do away with the box/board.

KaiHerbertz wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Sadly, this is exactly how it comes across, as I've found out the hard way

I wanted to go for "efficient" as well and printed the not really crucial "these are the 6 regions you can go to" board for my game "Das Katastrophenspiel" http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211274/das-katastrophensp... on the back of the box. It was not well received, so I would urge you to provide a game board, if you can.

Thanks for your comment. It is purely a price thing. The easiest thing would be to take it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule #1: Have Fun
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the main drawback, especially with KIKA, is that when the board is on the box, the game becomes less travel-ready. We take lots of games on holiday with us - and the very first thing to be left behind is the box. (Of course, Kika has 500+ variations that don't need a board at all - so the easy response is - forego those variations).

Games that travel really well (in the same sort of genre) that I can think of- Hive, Tantrix (super durable games), dice games such as Pandemic: The Cure, card games such as Odin's Ravens, Bohnanza, . Boardgames where the board is superfluous (St. Petersburg, Lost Cities).

Tile-laying games need a flat surface - so that is at a premium when travelling - it's got to deal with everything else on that table.

Games where the box as a board have worked (other than the two obvious ones: chess and backgammon) - includes one of the Animal-on-Animal games (but it's very 3D and dynamic) and Cleopatra (but the entire temple build is a bit weird in that game, and the box itself is not used much).

We have lent games where the box came back crushed (sat on is the usual) or soaked through (oh, sorry- it's just a box, right?) or even covered in mould...

I agree with previous posts - the card used to make boxes is (typically) way too weak.

OTOH, if you were to make the box slim and travel-ready and plastic, so that it becomes part of the 'solution' rather than just another 'problem', then I would be all for having the box as the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
westbrookgamer wrote:
IMO the main drawback, especially with KIKA, is that when the board is on the box, the game becomes less travel-ready. We take lots of games on holiday with us - and the very first thing to be left behind is the box. (Of course, Kika has 500+ variations that don't need a board at all - so the easy response is - forego those variations).

Games that travel really well (in the same sort of genre) that I can think of- Hive, Tantrix (super durable games), dice games such as Pandemic: The Cure, card games such as Odin's Ravens, Bohnanza, . Boardgames where the board is superfluous (St. Petersburg, Lost Cities).

Tile-laying games need a flat surface - so that is at a premium when travelling - it's got to deal with everything else on that table.

Games where the box as a board have worked (other than the two obvious ones: chess and backgammon) - includes one of the Animal-on-Animal games (but it's very 3D and dynamic) and Cleopatra (but the entire temple build is a bit weird in that game, and the box itself is not used much).

We have lent games where the box came back crushed (sat on is the usual) or soaked through (oh, sorry- it's just a box, right?) or even covered in mould...

I agree with previous posts - the card used to make boxes is (typically) way too weak.

OTOH, if you were to make the box slim and travel-ready and plastic, so that it becomes part of the 'solution' rather than just another 'problem', then I would be all for having the box as the board.

Hey there Yeah, the box is the first thing to go, and get damaged. Yes. I would not say this game as a travel game unless you bagged the tiles and used the RANDOM rule card drawing from the bag (you are allowed to see how many tiles are left). Then you could play on about 8"x8" or less.

Quote:
mould
gulpshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.