Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Wanting to buy: questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello, I'd like to get into this one but have some questions:

1. How does the campaign work? Does it start with the first Core Set scenario and go on forever and ever until the end of time? Or is it cycle based? (like, you start over again in the Dunwich Legacy cycle)

2. How does deckbuilding work? I really hate deckbuilding, and rather just want to sit and immediately play. For LOTR, I mostly use some internet decks and just play. How does that work here with the campaign system and all? In LOTR the manual gives you 30-card prebuilt decks from one core set, but these weren't fun to use at all

3. How many core sets do I need to buy? I read there are like 4 investigators, so I can pick Roland, and the other player can pick another one right? So different cards? Should I buy one or two core sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

1) So in the base box, there's a campaign that's essentially 3 scenarios in one. In between completing these, based on things that happen and minor choices you make, there's a different path/results that modify your decks you started with. In campaign play you get "experience" that lets you upgrade/buy new cards from the card pool. Going forward the cycles will be a continuing campaign (think chapters) that can also be played as one-shot adventures.

2) There are sample decks online and in the manual already. It being an LCG, deckbuilding is one of the main draws and appeals of the game. That being said, I know it's not for everyone and so do they, so there are prebuilt starters and ones online as you described. Whether they're fun is up to you, I suppose.

3) There are 5 investigators in the box. There are several threads on this subject. It depends a lot on how much deckbuilding you want to do and how many players. I'd recommend reading those threads, but based on your hate toward deckbuilding, I'd assume 1 core set is sufficient (assuming 1-2 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Hello, I'd like to get into this one but have some questions:

1. How does the campaign work? Does it start with the first Core Set scenario and go on forever and ever until the end of time? Or is it cycle based? (like, you start over again in the Dunwich Legacy cycle)

Each cycle is its own campaign. The core contains an "introductory" 3-mission campaign, and upcoming cycles will consist of 8-mission campaigns (2 in the deluxe, and 1 in each of the 6 mythos packs).

Quote:
2. How does deckbuilding work? I really hate deckbuilding, and rather just want to sit and immediately play. For LOTR, I mostly use some internet decks and just play. How does that work here with the campaign system and all? In LOTR the manual gives you 30-card prebuilt decks from one core set, but these weren't fun to use at all

You build one deck at the beginning of the campaign and play with it through the entire thing. You do not rebuild your entire deck between missions like in LOTR. Each mission will give you XP and you can use that XP to upgrade and modify your deck, but that's in small doses (probably one or two cards each time).

Quote:
3. How many core sets do I need to buy? I read there are like 4 investigators, so I can pick Roland, and the other player can pick another one right? So different cards? Should I buy one or two core sets

There's a bazillion threads about this already, but the gist of it is - one core will allow you to play with 2 investigators that don't overlap classes (each of the 5 investigators in the core has one primary class and one secondary). 2 cores will allow you to run any combo you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jospanther wrote:
Hi there.

1) So in the base box, there's a campaign that's essentially 3 scenarios in one. In between completing these, based on things that happen and minor choices you make, there's a different path/results that modify your decks you started with. In campaign play you get "experience" that lets you upgrade/buy new cards from the card pool. Going forward the cycles will be a continuing campaign (think chapters) that can also be played as one-shot adventures.

2) There are sample decks online and in the manual already. It being an LCG, deckbuilding is one of the main draws and appeals of the game. That being said, I know it's not for everyone and so do they, so there are prebuilt starters and ones online as you described. Whether they're fun is up to you, I suppose.

3) There are 5 investigators in the box. There are several threads on this subject. It depends a lot on how much deckbuilding you want to do and how many players. I'd recommend reading those threads, but based on your hate toward deckbuilding, I'd assume 1 core set is sufficient (assuming 1-2 players).

Thank you. I understand why people like deckbuilding, but I don't have the patience for it, nor am I good at it. I'm in for the experience, just like reading a book, watching a movie, playing a videogame.

So the upgrades you buy between scenarios, can that be any card, or is there a select pool for the scenario (I vaguely remember something about upgrading your spellsa or something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are specific rules for each investigator and scenario, but in general it's the whole pool with those minor restrictions (certain colors of cards, basically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for asking a question not found in the rulebook!!

Arkham Horror is very much like reading a book. There is plenty of story for you to experience and deckbuilding is easy out of the box. Literally no decisions to make on your first play.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the core investigators deck building is actually pretty easy. You don't have many cards in the box, and you'll want to focus on the primary type of cards (since they can be upgraded to the strongest versions), plus a few essential neutral cards (never leave home without a flashlight, bug spray, whatever).

This is an LCG though, which means new and cooler cards appear all the time, so building decks is part of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.