Subject: Good Things in Small Packages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pruitt
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm looking for recommendations for good games that come in small packages. Card Games, small board games like Zombies!!!, Eight Minute Empires, or the Tiny Epic series, even gimmicky games like Dungeon Roll.

(Note that I don't necessarily consider all of these to be great games, but they exemplify the size I am talking about).

I like strongly thematic games, especially fantasy, space/sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic. And I still enjoy the zombie genre.

So what do you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While not very thematic, Love Letter and Hive Pocket are both excellent games which fit in their own small bags.

And there are, of course White Wizard's excellent, compact card games: the "realms" deckbuilders Star Realms and Hero Realms (as well as the licensed Cthulhu Realms) and Epic Card Game, though the latter seems to be a bit more of a "love-it-or-hate-it" (I love it).

And social deduction games like The Resistance: Avalon, Codenames and Spyfall tend to be quite compact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add Coup to the above list. Sail to India is a lot packed into a tiny box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Western
Condottiere
Parade
Jaipur
Palast Geflüster
Rhino Hero
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Citadels
BANG! The Dice Game
The Castle of the Devil
Android: Netrunner Travels in a zip lock bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sail to India

IOTA

Empire Engine

Cypher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends Untold is deep fantasy and if you hurry, you can get in on the early bird.

Also, Back to the Future: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh My Goods!

Fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Sea Adventure and A Fake Artist Goes to New York are the smallest packages with the biggest rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Roesch
United States
Hutto
Texas
flag msg tools
I second Oh My Goods!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Wishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S.
msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Tiny Epic Western

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Little Prince
Pandemic Contagion
Beyond Baker Street
Traders of Osaka
Blueprints
The Grizzled
Mogul
For Crown & Kingdom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
Terrible Monster
Entropy
Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It turns out I still have the list I was working off of last year when I wanted to bring games with me on a flight. Definitely a lot of 'em were card games. Looking at the list, they were either thematic or had interesting strategy, with very little crossover between those two groups... not what I normally prefer. The games that DID have some crossover have mostly already been mentioned on this list.

For simple push-your-luck dice games, there was Pass the Pigs and Zombie Dice (plus expansions). Abstract card games that are more interesting than the usual trick-taking and rummy games were covered by Linko! and Red7. I enjoy the Fluxx games for fillers and brought a deck.

Then there is the Gloom series. That seems like the best fit that hasn't already been mentioned. Strong on theme, and more so with some players since the format lends itself to telling stories about what is happening to the characters. Maybe a bit high on luck, but that's pretty normal for a pure card game.

Edit: Forgot to mention... Splendor comes in a big box, but with a LOT of wasted space. The theme feels pretty tacked-on, but it's a good game.

2nd Edit: I'm also really looking forward to Mint Works. Worker placement is not something that you normally get in a small game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The Card Game
Sushi Go!
Pickomino

And on the opposite end of the spectrum with a huge box, Mechs vs. Minions. I was going to list this one as a joke, but thought better of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rather large collection of games recently done on this geeklist - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213291/what-your-favorite...? - maybe something there will interest you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mottainai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf (3-8, best with 4+) and Innovation (2-4, best with 3 and 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Port Royal
Bananagrams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't typically recommend a kickstarter game but I did a video on Legends Untold and in fact the first thing I said was that it was a big game in a small box. So I second the rec above. It fits your fantasy theme interest and is a stupendous, immersive play in a small box. You can see just how small in the first 30 seconds of my video. I was surprised! A great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Poole
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I did a Geeklist on this a while ago which may be of use:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/177055/big-things-can-com...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tatman
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Western
Mr Jack Pocket
Mystery Rummy: Jack The Ripper
Pass the Pigs
Any of the Gloom series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mischip wrote:

I did a Geeklist on this a while ago which may be of use:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/177055/big-things-can-com...

Looking at that list, I was shocked that I didn't mention Valley of the Kings (which now also has two sequels/expansions that are compatible). Turns out I didn't own it back when I made my original list of small games.

I'm not a huge fan of deckbuilders because of all the shuffling, but VotK fits my tastes so well in other ways that I'm willing to overlook that drawback. Seems like every single turn you have to make a tough choice about how to use the cards you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McClung
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Valley of the King, I was surprised it had not been mentioned up to the last reply. Another good game, though not big on theme is Collotetto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll add Dark Dealings to the discussion. It's a small package, 108 cards and a wooden token, but there's a lot of game in there, and a lot of fun too.

Gruff comes to mind too. In a package the size of an M:tG fat pack, you get a lot of gaming and content, albeit an extremely nerdy one (mutant goats of doom fight to the death in a very, very interesting twist on the mage vs. mage formula)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.