The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43» Forums » Rules

Subject: Following After Depth Charges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Palmer
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
From what I can gather, a U-boat may automatically follow a damaged boat whether the U-boat has been depth charged or not. If this is true, might it be a bit unrealistic because my understanding is that depth charging could go on for hours. This would also apply to attempting to follow a convoy. I would think the convoy might get well past the U-boat while it is being depth charged. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a damaged and slowed convoy ship would not be on fire/give a lot of smoke and not be a lot easier to find from a normal undamaged normal speed convoy ship?

I think Yes and hence why the game allows you to re-engage the damaged ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Palmer
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I definitely agree, in principle, with what you are saying, but it just seems like depth charging could go on for so long that even a damaged ship would be too far away to find. Maybe if there are cases where the ship couldn't be followed, such cases would be too rare to be included in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the period covered by the game, ships didn't carry too many depth charges and detection methods were not very good. Hours-long depth charge attacks were a feature of the late war. In the early war, if a U-boat survived the initial attacks and got deep, it was relatively safe. Any long-term depth charging was almost always ineffective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott,

I understand your point. I am sure it sometimes occurred that a damaged ship got away after a depth-charging held the boat down for awhile. However, certain abstractions have to take place in order to make the game playable. I felt that in most cases a U-boat would be able to re-engage a damaged ship (which might even be dead in the water...) and hence the rule. Undamaged ship, different story. They probably usually got away (although the reverse situation probably ALSO occurred....that an undamaged ship was re-acquired.) And so, in the grand scheme of things...well, "it all comes out in the wash.) They balance out IMO within the limitations of the game.

Now, at the risk of additional complexity, you could house-rule that a damaged ship gets away on a 1d6 4-6, with a -1 for each point of damage it has taken. And you could equally house rule an undamaged ship can be reacquired on, say, a 6 only. Something like that.

However, as I've mentioned, I think the system works reasonably well as is, without additional complexity. Your point is taken, but I think it's really accounted for "more or less."

Take care, and I hope at least you're enjoying it,

Greg
Game Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey Scott,

I understand your point. I am sure it sometimes occurred that a damaged ship got away after a depth-charging held the boat down for awhile. However, certain abstractions have to take place in order to make the game playable. I felt that in most cases a U-boat would be able to re-engage a damaged ship (which might even be dead in the water...) and hence the rule. Undamaged ship, different story. They probably usually got away (although the reverse situation probably ALSO occurred....that an undamaged ship was re-acquired.) And so, in the grand scheme of things...well, "it all comes out in the wash.) They balance out IMO within the limitations of the game.

Now, at the risk of additional complexity, you could house-rule that a damaged ship gets away on a 1d6 4-6, with a -1 for each point of damage it has taken. And you could equally house rule an undamaged ship can be reacquired on, say, a 6 only. Something like that.

However, as I've mentioned, I think the system works reasonably well as is, without additional complexity. Your point is taken, but I think it's really accounted for "more or less."

Take care, and I hope at least you're enjoying it,

Greg
Game Designer

Greg (or anyone else reading this),
Is there any thread or a file that lists optional rules like this? I understand they are "on the fly", were not playtested for, etc. but it would be cool to have a list of optional rules like this for those of us who may want to try them out. I for one wouldn't mind adding a bit of complexity sometimes to this game at times. Would be fun to spice things up a bit at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt,
Well, good point! I do not know of such a list, but it's a pretty good idea. I have a habit of tossing out "house rules" from time to time like that. Most have merit, but as I said, they come with a complexity cost which is why I mention them post facto (usually because the system functions just fine without them.

HOWEVER...good idea! That would be a hell of a job though, going through the thousands of posts here, to find them.

So start a list, if I can come up with some old ones, I'll pass them on to you

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey Matt,
Well, good point! I do not know of such a list, but it's a pretty good idea. I have a habit of tossing out "house rules" from time to time like that. Most have merit, but as I said, they come with a complexity cost which is why I mention them post facto (usually because the system functions just fine without them.

HOWEVER...good idea! That would be a hell of a job though, going through the thousands of posts here, to find them.

So start a list, if I can come up with some old ones, I'll pass them on to you

Greg

I make no promises but I will see what I can do. Will take a while as you said...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.