Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution» Forums » News

Subject: Status Update over on Consimworld rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Borg and Ken Dingley have posted some great news and imagery for the upcoming game over in the Commands & Colors: Tricorne thread in the Pre-Napoleonic folder in the forums over on Consimworld.

Richard reports that the rules and scenario book are ready. Play testing for the first expansion, to feature the French and the battle of Brandywine, is also complete.

Ken posted a pair of pages from the rulebook that shows what the art for the blocks and cards will look like. The blocks will distinguish branch by shape (same as what GMT does with C&C:Napoleonics) but make the labels vari-colored (rather than symbols) to distinguish the various kinds of foot units.

One thing I noticed was that the battle die features two flags rather than one. The remaining faces are one each Sword, Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery. The other is, going by what was posted, all units will have four blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post. I'm excited for the game.

Especially stoked to see:
"In the Tricorne - American Revolution core game, there is a deck of Combat cards for each side, British and Continental. These cards represent a mix of unit training, abilities or unexplainable actions that take place during the course of a battle."

I think these new Combat Cards are the biggest development in the system.

Also, it appears the board is the same dimensions as The Great War - i.e. 13x11 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so a link for those interested
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc0e11/22

every unit has 4 blocks it appears, infantry, cavalry & artillery

dice are a little different to CCN, with Flag replacing one Infantry
• one side has an Infantry symbol - black symbol on blue background
• one side has a Cavalry symbol - black symbol on yellow background
• one side has an Artillery symbol - black symbol on red background
• two sides have a Flag symbol - white symbol on black background
• one side has a Saber symbol - white symbol on black background

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asko Nisula
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting news! Components looks great. Well almost all.

My only nag is the die design, a la GMT Games, with the labeled stickers applied. Really a minor deal but I just don't like those. I hope someone will make wooden engraved dice for sale like Valley Games did for Ancients and Napoleonics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
so a link for those interested
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc0e11/22

every unit has 4 blocks it appears, infantry, cavalry & artillery

dice are a little different to CCN, with Flag replacing one Infantry
• one side has an Infantry symbol - black symbol on blue background
• one side has a Cavalry symbol - black symbol on yellow background
• one side has an Artillery symbol - black symbol on red background
• two sides have a Flag symbol - white symbol on black background
• one side has a Saber symbol - white symbol on black background

...hmmm

I am curious that with 2 flags, how that extra retreat will be worked into the rules. Superficially it suggests that you will spend a lot of time just regaining ground which would not be much fun. Mr Borg is far too canny for that so I wonder whether there are associated mechanics such as the importance of occupying defensible positions or even a rout mechanic where multiple flags remove a unit and a medal is awarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the use of service branch colors on the dice and the use of the same colors for different types of units will cause any confusion.

Dice

Yellow/Cavalry
Red/Artillery
Blue/Infantry

Infantry Units
Yellow/Militia
Red/Elite
Blue/Regular

Looking forward to seeing the full rules and how the two flags are used as a mechanism. I'm thinking moral will have an important roll (pardon the pun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:

I am curious that with 2 flags, how that extra retreat will be worked into the rules. Superficially it suggests that you will spend a lot of time just regaining ground which would not be much fun. Mr Borg is far too canny for that so I wonder whether there are associated mechanics such as the importance of occupying defensible positions or even a rout mechanic where multiple flags remove a unit and a medal is awarded.

My guess is that some units will ignore flags, as Grenadiers and Guard do in CCN, and that different unit types will retreat further per flag. Provincial Infantry I suspect will be similar to Prussian Reserve Infantry (or the German Allied infantry at Waterloo) and retreat 2 hexes per flag, and Militia 3 hexes per flag.

Now Highland Infantry intrigue me. Not even sure where Highland infantry served in America in the 1775-82 war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
I wonder if the use of service branch colors on the dice and the use of the same colors for different types of units will cause any confusion.

Dice

Yellow/Cavalry
Red/Artillery
Blue/Infantry

Infantry Units
Yellow/Militia
Red/Elite
Blue/Regular...

Someone might. That the service branch color is reinforced with the appropriate silhouette for an infantryman, cavalryman, and artillery piece should help to avoid that. But maybe it would be better if all the symbols on the die were white on black (like in both editions of BattleCry) to further reduce possible confusion of that sort. Since it would just be adjusting the art on the dice stickers, that should be a relatively easy fix at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
andsymo wrote:

My guess is that some units will ignore flags, as Grenadiers and Guard do in CCN, and that different unit types will retreat further per flag. Provincial Infantry I suspect will be similar to Prussian Reserve Infantry (or the German Allied infantry at Waterloo) and retreat 2 hexes per flag, and Militia 3 hexes per flag.

Now Highland Infantry intrigue me. Not even sure where Highland infantry served in America in the 1775-82 war.

If what you say is correct the increased probability of flags will serve to magnify the affect of multiple hex retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the product blurb
http://www.compassgames.com/preorders/commands-colors-tricor...

Players, that are familiar with other Commands & Colors games, will soon note that unit combat losses in a Tricorne game are typically not as great as other games covered in the Commands & Colors series. This is a direct result of the linear tactic fighting style of the armies that fought during the American Revolution. Unit morale is the main thematic focus in a Tricorne battle as it was historically. Knowing that an entire unit, that has only taken minimal losses when forced to retreat, may actually break and rout from the battlefield, will definitely keep players on the edge of their command chairs during an entire battle.

So having 2 flag symbols on each die is probably this feature.
Also makes me think that support rules will be included, as per CCN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

Infantry Units
Yellow/Militia
Red/Elite
Blue/Regular

With my Ancients eye I see Red-Blue-Green units..(and Brown & Yellow)

I wonder if there is a number of attack dice coded in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if the British victory counters could have the correct British Union flag, without the St Patrick's saltire (which was only added in 1800/1).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Un...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
From the product blurb
http://www.compassgames.com/preorders/commands-colors-tricor...

Players, that are familiar with other Commands & Colors games, will soon note that unit combat losses in a Tricorne game are typically not as great as other games covered in the Commands & Colors series. This is a direct result of the linear tactic fighting style of the armies that fought during the American Revolution. Unit morale is the main thematic focus in a Tricorne battle as it was historically. Knowing that an entire unit, that has only taken minimal losses when forced to retreat, may actually break and rout from the battlefield, will definitely keep players on the edge of their command chairs during an entire battle.

So having 2 flag symbols on each die is probably this feature.
Also makes me think that support rules will be included, as per CCN.

I find myself agreeing with your thoughts but do wonder if the dice do not assist in destroying units but support isolating low morale units then forcing them off the board to more effectively inflict losses I can't help but feel there must be something more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROUT MECHANISM SPECULATION

Based on:

*The usual C&C Leader Casualty Roll

*Elite/Light units, supported units, or those with Leaders ignoring 1 Flag--for each condition cumulatively

*Different quality units retreating a different number of hexes per Flag, probably 1 hex for Elite/Light/Regular, 2 for Provincial, 3 for Militia

*The publisher blurb text

UNIT MORALE ROLL

When a unit is forced to retreat, reroll three dice. If 1 Flag is rolled, Rout a Militia unit. If 2 Flags are rolled, Rout a Provincial unit. If 3 flags are rolled, Rout any unit.

ROUT EFFECT

Units Routing, regardless of their current block strength, are removed from the game, but do not give a Victory Banner to the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
ROUT MECHANISM SPECULATION

Based on:

*The usual C&C Leader Casualty Roll

*Elite/Light units, supported units, or those with Leaders ignoring 1 Flag--for each condition cumulatively

*Different quality units retreating a different number of hexes per Flag, probably 1 hex for Elite/Light/Regular, 2 for Provincial, 3 for Militia

*The publisher blurb text

UNIT MORALE ROLL

When a unit is forced to retreat, reroll three dice. If 1 Flag is rolled, Rout a Militia unit. If 2 Flags are rolled, Rout a Provincial unit. If 3 flags are rolled, Rout any unit.

ROUT EFFECT

Units Routing, regardless of their current block strength, are removed from the game, but do not give a Victory Banner to the opponent.

This is the kind of speculation I like! I find myself agreeing but I think a unit that routs should still award a medal as it would encourage a different style of play for both attacking and defending routable units. There may also be edge cases where a side could not win because of too few units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Symo,

The problem is, with the lower quality this likely to Rout, it would weigh too heavily on the win. I'm thinking of battles where the Colonial side had tons of such units, but didn't get much use out of them. I'm no statistician, but still...perhaps units other than Provincial or Militia could count as a Banner.

You'd still have to play the P/Ms carefully, and always have them supported! Of course, Mr. Borg is not always cooperative with his scenario set ups. In Napoleonics, I often redeploy quite a bit before advancing--harder to do if he includes the Time Pressure mechanic in TAR, currently adopted from The Great War ("Racing Against Time") to the upcoming CCN Epic!

It would help to see those second Combat Card decks now, wouldn't it? How About Militia Flees!, Regulars Check Morale, and Elites/Lights Pursue (since there will so few cavalry, who can always do it). The first two would be playable on the enemy, of course.

This game does seem to be combining the Battle Lore/Ancients unit class colors of green, blue, and red on the blocks (expanded with brown and yellow for the P/Ms) with the branch of service colors of of light blue, yellow, and red on the dice, as others have noted above. This will allow using new unit stickers but the same dice when expanding unit types, especially in new periods! We'll soon have French, but how about Indians and SYW Heavy Cavalry?

Did anyone ever wonder why C&C uses the US branch colors for other subjects like Napoleonics? Its standardization and familiarity, I guess (speaking as a Civil War minis buff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess, it is the only one that makes sense. Napoleonic and earlier era European armies used so many colors for so many different things and so many different times, it would be hard to develop a useful system, as far as C&C is concerned, from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the expansion will include 12 more scenarios, and Brandywine will be included, what other 11 battles would you like to see? Here is the list of the original TAR game's 12 scenarios:

Bunker Hill -17 June 1775
Long Island (Grant's Attack) - 27 August 1776
Long Island (British Flank March) - 27 August 1776
Freeman's Farm - 19 September 1777
Bemis Heights - 7 October 1777
Bemis Heights (British Redoubts) - 7 October 1777
Monmouth - 28 June 1778
Camden - 16 August 1780
Cowpens - 17 January 1781
Guilford Courthouse - 15 March 1781
Hobkirk's Hill - 25 April 1781
Eutaw Springs - 8 September 1781

Here for comparison and consideration are the other 10 ARW battles included in the old Clash For A Continent and Hold the Line games:

Harlem Heights 6/17/75
White Plains 10/28/76
Trenton 12/26/76
Princeton 1/3/77
Oriskany 8/16/77
Germantown 10/4/77
King's Mountain 10/7/80
Weitzel's Mill 3/6/81
Green Springs 7/6/81
Yorktown 10/14-15/81

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark McG.,

A pal informs me that two regiments of Highlanders served in the ARW: The Black Watch and Frazier's Highlanders, although he wasn't sure where. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Mark McG.,

A pal informs me that two regiments of Highlanders served in the ARW: The Black Watch and Frazier's Highlanders, although he wasn't sure where. Anyone know?

There is a list of British units that fought in the conflicts of 1775-82
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_units_in_the_A...

there are a number of Highlander units, though most served elsewhere like the West Indies or India.

The main unit engaged seems to be Fraser's Highlanders
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_(Highland)_Regiment_of_Fo...
( I presume that to be the Fraser of Lovat clan)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Fraser_of_Lovat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.