$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.64

6,555 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Trump: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Are you kidding me??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got Trump: The Game about two years ago for around $2, looked to be mint.

I actually never got around to playing it, wasn't too interested in it.

So I log in today to find that it's listed as #1 in the hotness.

I go check the marketplace...someone's selling it for $50.

I'm like...that can't be right...this game is just about worthless. I saw another one at a goodwill for like $1 a few months ago.

Then I check other sites...it's going for over $50 to over $100 at some.

Are people serious?

Mind boggling how a game goes from next to worthless to people can't seem to get enough of it.

So, seeing I've never actually played this game, comes the dilemma...do I sell or hold?

I'm not much for selling my boardgames, but if I could sell it for over $100, that's like 5000% profit.

If the game is Trump, that's like winning it over and over again...right?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is though....

are people actually buying?

It seems like a bunch of people are just like ooooo now it's a novelty let's list it for a high price.

Garbage is still garbage.

I would say if you aren't going to play it, just sell it. If you manage to get $100 then more power to you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People have wanted to hate it, but it isn't a terrible game, and rated by most who have played it, a 5 or higher. It isn't a monopoly clone, does have elements of a light auction game with secret values on items on auction. I believe For Sale is more fun, but with a group who like take that amidst an auction, there you go.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say sell now while the market is hot....if there is a buying market.

Related story to illustrate. Today I threw out tons of old VHS movies. It tore me up to throw out good Disney Classics. So I looked up EBay to see what the market for Disney VHS movies. First item...Beauty and the Beast...$12,000. What? I looked at more. Prices ranging from $3000 to over $15,000 for a single Beauty and the Beast VHS tape. One guy had a lot size of about 12 Disney VHS movies for $60,000. What the hey??

I looked further down, finally I saw someone with same movie, looking for bids starting at $3.99. A more realistic pricing level. No bidders. No market. None at all. Zero. You can put Beaty and the Beast out there for $9000, but with no market, the only person you are impressing is yourself.

So if you can get rid of The Trump Game for $100, and there is a short window of opportunity market, sell now while you can. Next summer it will be thrift store junk you can find again for $2.00.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDadGamer wrote:
I would say sell now while the market is hot....if there is a buying market.

Related story to illustrate. Today I threw out tons of old VHS movies. It tore me up to throw out good Disney Classics. So I looked up EBay to see what the market for Disney VHS movies. First item...Beauty and the Beast...$12,000. What? I looked at more. Prices ranging from $3000 to over $15,000 for a single Beauty and the Beast VHS tape. One guy had a lot size of about 12 Disney VHS movies for $60,000. What the hey??

I looked further down, finally I saw someone with same movie, looking for bids starting at $3.99. A more realistic pricing level. No bidders. No market. None at all. Zero. You can put Beaty and the Beast out there for $9000, but with no market, the only person you are impressing is yourself.

So if you can get rid of The Trump Game for $100, and there is a short window of opportunity market, sell now while you can. Next summer it will be thrift store junk you can find again for $2.00.


While I completely agree with you on everything, it is worth noting that when it comes to Disney original movies, there are several versions of each. Collectors wil pay top notch prices for good condition versions of original prints. Later versions mask look identical to some, but have small differences like the "masterpiece collection" logo and even different efforts to the film. It is very possible for the rare collectors ones to really be worth and actually sell for those amounts.

That said, the name of this game is what's driving the sudden surge in popularity right now. If you have a copy, by all means, try to sell it if you can. The game itself I'd terrible so you aren't missing out on anything and if you can make a quick buck on selling it to someone who wants it for the novelty value, go for it. The real thing to check is the price that they are actually selling for though, not the price that people are asking. As with any collectors item, they are only worth what the people out there looking for them are willing to spend at any given time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
GeekDadGamer wrote:
I would say sell now while the market is hot....if there is a buying market.

Related story to illustrate. Today I threw out tons of old VHS movies. It tore me up to throw out good Disney Classics. So I looked up EBay to see what the market for Disney VHS movies. First item...Beauty and the Beast...$12,000. What? I looked at more. Prices ranging from $3000 to over $15,000 for a single Beauty and the Beast VHS tape. One guy had a lot size of about 12 Disney VHS movies for $60,000. What the hey??

I looked further down, finally I saw someone with same movie, looking for bids starting at $3.99. A more realistic pricing level. No bidders. No market. None at all. Zero. You can put Beaty and the Beast out there for $9000, but with no market, the only person you are impressing is yourself.

So if you can get rid of The Trump Game for $100, and there is a short window of opportunity market, sell now while you can. Next summer it will be thrift store junk you can find again for $2.00.


While I completely agree with you on everything, it is worth noting that when it comes to Disney original movies, there are several versions of each. Collectors wil pay top notch prices for good condition versions of original prints. Later versions mask look identical to some, but have small differences like the "masterpiece collection" logo and even different efforts to the film. It is very possible for the rare collectors ones to really be worth and actually sell for those amounts.

That said, the name of this game is what's driving the sudden surge in popularity right now. If you have a copy, by all means, try to sell it if you can. The game itself I'd terrible so you aren't missing out on anything and if you can make a quick buck on selling it to someone who wants it for the novelty value, go for it. The real thing to check is the price that they are actually selling for though, not the price that people are asking. As with any collectors item, they are only worth what the people out there looking for them are willing to spend at any given time.


Lots of money transfer and laundering on eBay now. The items rotate quite frequently. If you accept bids, I think you can choose not to display the sold price, so the "sold items" stats don't reflect these sales.

Same thing happens in MMORPGS where people will list a 25 silver crafting item for 12 million. They are laundering stolen gold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDadGamer wrote:

So if you can get rid of The Trump Game for $100, and there is a short window of opportunity market, sell now while you can. Next summer it will be thrift store junk you can find again for $2.00.


That's just not possible for Americans as you all are now IN the trump game.soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Long
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The BoardGameGeek market price history for this game, up to the most recent sale recorded in October 2016, shows an average price of $5-$10. It would appear that recent increases in selling prices are being driven by demand from non-gamer collectors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always click completed listings on anything on Ebay. This will tell you how much it sold or didn't sell. Thus you can see if there is a market. Currently Trump is actually selling for $80-$120 + shipping for a very good copy of the 2004 version. The older version is going for $20-$30.

So I would sell the game. Its a terrible game, and then you can use the money to buy games you actually want to sell. By thrifting boardgames (or selling games I bought that are now out of print) its the way I can spend $100's on boardgames a year, without my wife asking ,"why are you buying so many boardgames!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassoon201 wrote:
I can spend $100's on boardgames a year, without my wife asking ,"why are you buying so many boardgames!"



Oh! you've got one of those aswell have you...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.