10 Posts

Forbidden Desert» Forums » General

Subject: Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pádraic Kudu
msg tools
Objective

My parents will be visiting for Christmas and I'm looking for a good game for the three of us to enjoy.

They're not proficient gamers but my mother is a fast thinker and my father a natural strategist. To avoid (major) family arguments over a board game, I thought a cooperative game could be a good choice.

Background

My mother and I, years ago, enjoyed Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - so she does have a little experience of gaming slightly more complex than Monopoly or Cluedo, but has probably suffered somewhat from my Alpha Gamer Syndrome. Recently, she played our first Mombasa session with me and my girlfriend - but reading through the rules, setting up the game, and playing through all seven rounds took us over six hours. My father hasn't played Lord of the Rings for over a decade.

So, within that context, I'm looking for a game that won't take forever to learn or explain, and that allows us to get into the finer points of collaborative strategising as easily as possible. A game, indeed, that won't be so heavy that we would groan at the thought of attempting a post-Christmas Lunch session. But also a game that could, ideally, hold some decent replay value for my girlfriend and me, increasingly avid if not advanced gamers.

Recommendation

My first question, then, is: do you think Forbidden Desert would be a good choice? A game that will challenge us (and I'll watch out for my Alpha Player tendencies), but that won't be so complex that I essentially end up playing it solitaire with my folks' roles limited to bewildered onlookers.

Alternative

My second query regards the differences between Forbidden Desert and its predecessor Forbidden Island.

• Which game provides more exciting gameplay?

• Which game would better suit first-time or casual gamers, but also (if it's ever possible!) entertain enthusiasts?

• Is there a reason to play Forbidden Island before Forbidden Desert?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rule wise: Island is much more strait forward, Desert is not too bad in the rules dept, but there are still more 'things' to remember.

Feel wise: I very much enjoy the claustrophobic feel Island offers. As the island starts to visibly sink the game naturally becomes much more tense. Desert is more efficiency engine feel.

Play wise: Island is once again strait forward, there is some strategy and some co-operativeness, but generally you will be doing your own thing.
Desert is unforgiving and requires co-operation. There are also more chances for combos, and everyone generally has to be on the same page.

Desert is more puzzly and I like that style game. Island has a fantastic feel to the game, and I like that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
I'll throw in my vote for Desert. For one thing, it sounds like Island would be a little too straight-forward for your gaming group. I find that it's often obvious what each player's moves should be during a game of Island, so it doesn't really foster discussion or argument about what people should be doing. Whereas with Desert, there are more elements (hidden tiles, sand blockages, the possibility of dying of thirst) that need to be taken into consideration, and that ups the level of interesting decision making without skyrocketing the complexity.

It also could mitigate Alpha Gamer syndrome, since the hidden tile mechanic means no one can be 100% sure that their suggestion is the right one.

Finally, I can speak to Desert being a very good intro game (it was the second designer board game I played, and the first co-op), as well as having staying power due to modular board, different adventurers, and the capriciousness of the sun deck. It's just a dang good puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, "Desert or Island" that's one of those hot button issues that causes fistfights.

Here's my interpretation:

For gateway level gamers, Island is probably the game of choice, its a bit easier to win (In my opinion) and the rules are easier.

If people work well in concert, and they like puzzles, I just adore desert. However, it is subject to "alpha gamer" syndrome.

Either one is a great start for a gateway coop game.

Scott

kudupadraic wrote:
Objective

My parents will be visiting for Christmas and I'm looking for a good game for the three of us to enjoy.

They're not proficient gamers but my mother is a fast thinker and my father a natural strategist. To avoid (major) family arguments over a board game, I thought a cooperative game could be a good choice.

Background

My mother and I, years ago, enjoyed Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - so she does have a little experience of gaming slightly more complex than Monopoly or Cluedo, but has probably suffered somewhat from my Alpha Gamer Syndrome. Recently, she played our first Mombasa session with me and my girlfriend - but reading through the rules, setting up the game, and playing through all seven rounds took us over six hours. My father hasn't played Lord of the Rings for over a decade.

So, within that context, I'm looking for a game that won't take forever to learn or explain, and that allows us to get into the finer points of collaborative strategising as easily as possible. A game, indeed, that won't be so heavy that we would groan at the thought of attempting a post-Christmas Lunch session. But also a game that could, ideally, hold some decent replay value for my girlfriend and me, increasingly avid if not advanced gamers.

Recommendation

My first question, then, is: do you think Forbidden Desert would be a good choice? A game that will challenge us (and I'll watch out for my Alpha Player tendencies), but that won't be so complex that I essentially end up playing it solitaire with my folks' roles limited to bewildered onlookers.

Alternative

My second query regards the differences between Forbidden Desert and its predecessor Forbidden Island.

• Which game provides more exciting gameplay?

• Which game would better suit first-time or casual gamers, but also (if it's ever possible!) entertain enthusiasts?

• Is there a reason to play Forbidden Island before Forbidden Desert?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
Oh my, "Desert or Island" that's one of those hot button issues that causes fistfights.

Let the fistfights begin!

mohnkern wrote:
If people work well in concert, and they like puzzles, I just adore desert. However, it is subject to "alpha gamer" syndrome.

Forbidden Desert is far less subject to Alpha Gamer syndrome than it's predecessor for the reasons already mentioned. It also forces cooperation rather than each player doing their own thing, since thirst forces players to stick closer together.

Given that they've played the wonderful Lord of the Rings, I think your family would find Forbidden Island far, far too light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

Let the fistfights begin!

mohnkern wrote:

Forbidden Desert is far less subject to Alpha Gamer syndrome than it's predecessor for the reasons already mentioned. It also forces cooperation rather than each player doing their own thing, since thirst forces players to stick closer together.

I feel the exact opposite. Because Desert requires co-ordination someone needs to start the discussion and that can cause a 'leader' to emerge. Whereas Island is so light, mistakes can be made and no one really takes it as seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Desert a lot more challenging, but also less fun to play. The mechanic of piling sand every turn is just too much work. Because of that, I play Island more often; and I'd vote for Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert all the way. The shifting sandstorm tiles is a brilliant mechanism and keeps the game fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbinjer wrote:
Pandemic.

A wild Curveball appears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.