Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 questions:

Is the cost of a troop tile also its income? i.e. do you earn from a troop tile directly?

If you have strength of 0 in a battle from troops, do you receive a die roll as an addition anyway?

My assumption is no to the first question, but yes to the second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The money is the cost of the troop to buy. No troop makes you gain money (but some troop gives you influence).

Some troops have an attack/defense symbol with 0 and some have no symbol.
The difference is that to be the defender/attacker you must have at least one troop with defense/attack symbol. So, if you have only one troop end that troop is with no attack symbol you cannot participate in attacking condottiere auctions, if you have only one troop end that troop is with attack symbol of zero value you can participate in attacking condottiere auctions and if you win your force is zero+dice value. If you win the auction to be a condottiere, you always add dice to the value of your forces (that may be zero).

In the new edition the difference between troops without icon and troops with icon on zero value is not clear, I've found details searching on Bgg (in the faq maybe, but I don't precisely remember where)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the German rules we state that you can participate in a condottiere auction if you got at least 1 troop tile regardless of the numbers it shows.

The difference between 0 and no symbol is that tiles which give a bonus of +1 to a troop tile only give this bonus if at least a 0 is printed in the necessary property.

In the German rules you find also a big example for a war we took from the first edition.

And yes Mike your assumptions are correct and even with no symbol a dice is rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your point about only actually having a 0 icon if there is something else which could add to give you an effective strength is correct... but only so far as the tiles/card effects from the basic game goes.

If you have the extra tiles from the Kickstarter some of them modify the 0 strengths of troop tiles that don't actually have a 0 icon on them. I can see why they did this - not all people will have the extra tiles, and purists may not wish to use them - and in practice its not confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the german rules here on Bgg and tried to translate with Google Translator... wow, much better rules than english and italian ones! many examples, fringe cases perfectly explained... I wonder why only German rules are so complete...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are actually pretty crystal-clear and come from the "mean exactly what they say" school. Therefore, if you trust them enough to take them at their word you don't actually need examples!

However, I think a worked example of a battle would have been useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the english rules there is no mention of the pope usable one time for decade (only on the tile itself) and understanding from them the difference between no symbol on tile or symbol with zero on tile it's not clear.
Apart from this it's like you say, also if I prefer a manual like the german one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.