Hide
9 Posts

Mombasa» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Winning Scores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pádraic Kudu
msg tools
I've played Mombasa four times now (always, unboldly, with the first-game setup) and managed to come out on top each time, more through luck or opponent mistakes than any meaningful strategy. Of course, one of the elements that makes this game so rich, and replayable, is the overlap between strategic aggression and passive reaction: I'd imagine you'd find it difficult to win against experienced players without a great deal of responsiveness to their play.

Similarly, do we agree that a higher score doesn't necessarily indicate a more accomplished performance? Foiling an opponent's advances (e.g. devaluing a company you may also have some stake in) is an important aspect of emerging the victor, even if it doesn't always raise your final score. Likewise, a group's collective score may go some way towards indicating their skill and understanding of the game's mechanics, but some sessions will naturally be more defensive than others.

If I know my opponent's well, that psychological insight can be just as valuable to my strategy as any experience with this game itself. Would others agree?

If so, improving one's strategic dexterity in sessions with inexperienced opponents or those you know (too) well could be challenging if the final score is an unhelpful indicator.

For reference:

Winning Scores
1st game: 92 points (3 players, average 81 points)
2nd game: 145 points (2 players, average 126 points)
3rd game: 176 points (2 players, average 153 points)
4th game: 163 points (4 players, average 99 points)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games here so far :

3 players : 155-109-87
4 players : 163-145-116-106
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for putting these out there. There's another thread that I never got a reply about scores. I'm glad to know that the higher end of scores is not necessarily common. It all depends on whom you're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pádraic Kudu
msg tools
Thanks for the heads up - I've just added some comments in that thread as well. I agree that, although high scores (above 200 certainly) must indicate a certain understanding of the game (learning how to effectively generate that number of points in seven rounds does take great intuition or experience), there probably isn't such a thing as 'an excellent score', only 'an excellent game' where you effectively outwit your opponent(s) - even if you don't score remarkably well as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have played six times and won all six, though, in fairness, four of the games included at least one player new to the game. Our scores:

147, 131, 114, 92
167, 142, 103
210, 146
122, 117, 112
136, 135, 108
163, 156, 134

As you can see, the scores are not consistently higher. Some games include more defense and counter moves. Also, in some games the players will expand all four companies more evenly, so that no single company offers extremely high points. In that kind of game the scores should be closer together.

In the 2-player game there is more room to expand a company without the other player setting it back. I expect 2-player games to have the potential for higher scores in general.

Experience definitely pays in this game, but that does not mean that each play will have increasingly higher scores. Plays with more back-and-forth interaction on the map may have lower scores. I agree with the OP's premise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are scores to my games...3 and 4P.

159-144-112-101

154-129-112

158-140-104
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my games have been marred by inadvertently failing to remember to clear the right column of cards. Because of this, the game plays much more defensively with lower value cards. And, because of this, we have lower scores.

So annoying to me every time we fail to remember this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Uhr
Sweden
flag msg tools
We played yesterday with 4 players and we had 157/148/147/137 vp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pádraic Kudu
msg tools
Close game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.