36% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO's BFF has a little girl (5y next spring). We'd like to give her a present for Xmas and I'd like it to be a game (one of the suggestions of her mother).

But I have no idea what would be suitable for her. I know that she currently likes Memory (I'd like to take this opportunity to preempt all Busen Memo suggestions: No thanks) and Cthulhu Virtual Pet. She's quite a whirlwind and very hungry for attention.

I attribute this to the fact that her father doesn't do much with his daughter. He's more invested in gaming than his daugher (or her mother for that). He declines playing Memory with her "because he already has to play Memory with all the folks at the retirement home".

So my thinkig is:
1 Either something that feeds into her activeness and allow her to "vent" it or something that helps her to focus her attention (She does like memory after all)
2 Something that works with as few as 2 people (maybe even a solo option)
3 Something that she can enjoy with her friends (from what I know she's really close to a pair of brothers)
4 But ideally also something that's not completely facemeltingly boring for her parents
(5 Needs to be in German. But don't hold back. I can check this myself)

So, some of my ideas:
Bohnanza something that captures her drive to communicate but the page says 8+. Perhaps My First Bohnanza?
Bling Bling Gemstone easy and I've liked it myself.
Loopin' Louie / Chewie - dowside is that IMO it suffers with less than 4 players

Or as an alternative (ie. copout) we could gift them a year's membership with the local toy library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coconuts is very simple, but a lot of fun. The base game plays 2-4 and you can get 2-6 if you get Coconuts Duo as well. The instructions are in English, but a single explanation would be all she would need to play. The setup is accomplished using pictures, the arrangement varies for each player count.

My daughter has enjoyed this game since she was 3 (not very good at it at that age). It's a simple dexterity game of monkey catapults flinging coconuts into cups. It's worked very well as a family game for us with everyone from her cousins (around age 5) to my mom and step dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Enchanted Forest?

I would recommend though looking at Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo, my daughter (now 15) has loved this game since I first got it when she was about 8. And loved that with her small hands she could beat us 'gamers' on game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Das Magische Labyrinth or Geistertreppe? Kids have to focus when playing these.

And +1 for Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo. We had the original Gulo Gulo and my son only grew out of it when he was 10 (and discovered Zombicide!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Whoowasit? was my daughters favourite and can be played solo too with memory aspects - is a german game too although don't know the german name for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so far!

I believe the local toy library has Whoowasit, Enchanted Forest and Das Magische Labyrinth. I'll try to take a look at them there. Also I think I saw Gulo Gulo too but the rating looks like she's still a tad too young.

Coconuts sounds fun as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schnappt Hubi!
It's german, it's great, it's playable solo, she can enjoy it with her friends... and it's everything but boring.

...and it's so much better than Whoowasit (which not really is suitable for most 5 years old anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes memory, Pengoloo is a great memory game that might attract people who normally do not like those games, but at age 5 she may be approaching the end of the window where she would like that game.

My kids love Loopin' Chewie, so i think a dextrerity game may be a good idea, since they are more active.
Perhaps PitchCar would be a good game? We have the mini version and it is a hit, and the kids can play by themselves.

+1 to Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo

I also recommend looking into Drei Magier Spiele games. You may find something that would work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rhino Hero is worth considering. I bought this for my Nephew's 5th birthday recently and it managed to capture his 'excitable' attention!

There's layers to the rules as well, so it can be as simple as 'Let's see how high a tower we can make together' to following the special card rules and creating a more competitive experience.

Fun for adults as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lowpass wrote:
Schnappt Hubi!
It's german, it's great, it's playable solo, she can enjoy it with her friends... and it's everything but boring.

...and it's so much better than Whoowasit (which not really is suitable for most 5 years old anyway).

My daughter liked it when she was five and not sure why this wouldn't work for most five year olds as long as parents played it a few times with her first. Most people have voted it's suitable for 5 yr olds?

Anyway, her favourite now she is six and would also work is Bugs in the Kitchen which is really simple for her to play with a friend plus she's plays with the bug seperately and i think the german one is called Kakerlakak??

She did really love some of the drei magier games especially enchanted tower which has memory aspect but she has grown out of that one now so might not last long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Perhaps Leo? It's a memory-type game, but it's a co-op game, so she can also play it solo if she likes (and hopefully it's different enough that her parents would be willing to play) I think it was nominated for in the Kinderspiel category for SdJ, so it should be readily available in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Mein erster Lernspielzoo for my daughter (then four, now five) and she loved it. It's made by HABA - Habermaaß GmbH and the quality is top notch. She especially loved that she had a game that was just like one of mine, with wooden pieces and discs and what not. It really does look like a grown up designer game.

It teaches math skills, memory, a bunch of things -- really, it's like 10 games in one.

There are a number of Haba games in the same age range. If you're keen on the German language you are super in luck. I have a hard time finding these games here in the US, so jump on them when I see them at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
My little girl learned counting and basic math thanks to Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. Including complex things like "remember to add one to all food rolls" and such. She needed help with a lot of the reading at first, but the game sequence encourages parents being able to help the kids make decisions on their turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchanted Forest is a game that requires memory and can be played solo. My 5 year old does all the time.

Enchanted Labyrinth hits the same spot, but with a fun "talking wizard."
Monza is great fun at that age.
My 5 year old loves Castle Panic but that might be a bit much for some 5 year olds.
Outfoxed is a memory and deduction game that is a hit at that age. It can also be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are some of the top-ranked games for 5 and under:

Blokus
Loopin' Louie
Rhino Hero
Animal Upon Animal
My First Carcassonne
Ribbit
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Click Clack Lumberjack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Fischer
Switzerland
flag msg tools
new user
Two easy, active games my kids like are
Twister and Splish Splash Catapult (in German it is named "Plitsch Platsch Katapult").
Both of them you can play solo.
Twister is a classic, and Splish Splash Catapult is a fairly new, nice little game (also pretty cheap, around 5 Euro)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
+1 to Enchanted Forest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dexterity game like PitchCar or Ice Cool could be fun.

Cardline: Animals could also be good, and as a plus, it can be played solo and different levels of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.