Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Marathon against Minions #2 (Mission 4-6) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week end, my son and I took Mechs vs Minion to our table and carried on with our noble efforts in stomping minions. Comfortable with playing 2 mechs each, we continued using all 4 mechs. As the week before, we run a marathon, few hours in Saturday and another few in Sunday.

We completed Mission 4 quite fast. Zigg rushed to the second tile and unknowingly triggered the escalation (we deliberately had not read the escalation part to give some surprise and "Oh, drat!" moments for us). Undeterred by the incoming horde of minions, Zigg continued his rushing forward and reached the end of the map a few turns later, which triggered another escalation (sigh).

Tristana and Corki were moving more carefully. They tried to intercept and blast minions coming to tile 2. Heimerdinger played the rear guard, stayed in tile 1 to kill any minions managed to escape Tristana and Corki's assaults.

Zigg's presence in the end of the map helped us in the end. He stomped, electrocuted and blasted rows and rows of minions, right after they had spawned, making it easier for the other three to move forward. That made Zigg's mech full of damage, but who cares? As long as Zigg could shoot, we were happy. I had to say that my son was so into Zigg during this mission. He laughed maniacally while executing Zigg's program and sent the poor minions to the pile.

We decided to play Mission 5 right after finishing Mission 4. I thought Mission 5 would be easy but I was wrong. While Mission 4 allowed us to play recklessly, Mission 5 required us to play carefully, meticulously programming our mechs to protect and move the bomb to the repair pads.

As always, we played with the EZ mode but the tension was still there. During several first turns, our mechs moved inefficiently. Zigg moved to tile 2 and blasted minions there, clearing path toward the repair pad. Heimerdinger and Tristana tried to tow/bump the bomb but somehow they managed to move sideways instead of forward. Corki played as the rear guard, watching minions spawning from our back.

As soon as we arrived at the second repair pad, the lava wall started to move. Corki's position as rear guard was no longer necessary. He hastily joined Zigg in opening the way but the real struggle was on moving the bomb. Rather than pushing the bomb like our previous strategy, Heimerdinger utilised Omnistomp and Speed to carefully tow the bomb. Tristana upgraded her Hexmatic Aimbot to level 3 and sniped any wandering minions. Slowly we moved forward and finally managed to win the game.

Mission 6 was played in Sunday evening. I had not been so sure whether my son could grasp the rune gate mechanic and its connection to the boss' rune shield but thankfully he could! He was so determined in passing the gate using Speed, thus he started to collect Speed cards. Tristana was more flexible, using Omnistomp and Speed. Heimerdinger was collecting turn cards, spending few turns facing here and there without moving; until a minion came and attacked him, giving him the "move 3 and turn 180" damage card!

Corki, Zigg and Tristana carefully moved toward the gate while occassionally sniping at the boss, just to make sure he did not activate his GG-101. Heimerdinger decided to utilise his malfunctioning rocket, blasting toward the lava tiles, took several more damages before finally landed in the other side of the map (apparently, there had to be some crazy Yordle in our team!). While waiting for his companions, Heimerdinger shot minions on the last row of the map. While this did not help us winning the map, indirectly, Heimerdinger's trigger happy attitude helped us in levelling up and unlocked various schematics.

As usual, my son wanted to play another mission but I declined. We played Mission 6 leisurely and it took us approximately 2 hours to complete it, and I was hungry So, I promised him to play again on the next week end. He grudgingly accepted and to appease him, I let him played with the mechs and minions by himself before tidying up. He loves the shield minions for unknown reason and insisted to put these in the topmost tray. So, while I had my delicious dinner, he meticulously selected the shield minions and put them one by one inside the tray!

After playing the six missions, I am very pleased with the different feel that each mission gives. As I have stated, our strategy for Mission 4 was all about rushing forward but this strategy is not feasible for Mission 5. The cards also give different feel and usage. Omnistomp is directionally flexible but Speed is excellent for towing because it gives both fast movement and flexibility. Hexmatic Aimbot might be weak but on Level 3, it is very useful for sniping minions and boss from afar. I am really looking forward to play the next missions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Looks like your Mission 4 went similarly to ours, with the main difference that you sent Ziggs to the frontline instead of Tristana. Your choice probably was the smarter one, since Ziggs doesn't have to worry as much about getting damaged ... and there surely is a lot of damage when you're on map tile 3.
All in all, it's really a fun mission. It reminded me of video games like the Dynasty Warriors series, where you're plowing through hordes of enemies with gleeful abandon.

Can't comment on the other two missions, since we didn't play them yet. But if everything goes as planned, next weekend will be our marathon weekend.

Esvath wrote:
He loves the shield minions for unknown reason and insisted to put these in the topmost tray.

It's the same with my wife - those are by far her favourite minions! She also insists that the minion we use for the Kill Tracker has to be one of those timid shield guys ...

Esvath wrote:
Hexmatic Aimbot might be weak but on Level 3, it is very useful for sniping minions and boss from afar.

Exactly our experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Looks like your Mission 4 went similarly to ours, with the main difference that you sent Ziggs to the frontline instead of Tristana. Your choice probably was the smarter one, since Ziggs doesn't have to worry as much about getting damaged ... and there surely is a lot of damage when you're on map tile 3.
All in all, it's really a fun mission. It reminded me of video games like the Dynasty Warriors series, where you're plowing through hordes of enemies with gleeful abandon.

Yes, I think my favourite mission is Mission 4, precisely because it allows us me to embrace our my inner Zigg. Destruction! Explosion! Madness everywhere! whistle

While on this, I think one aspect which could be done better is actually on mechs' schematics. At this moment, I feel their flavour are not unique enough for each mechs. It's as if the developers tried to spread all functions to all mechs. For me, it would be wonderful if Zigg is focused on destruction and wanton destruction, Tristana is focused on rocketry (jump, move, occasional blast), Heimerdinger as the expert on repair and reprogram, while Corki is about piloting and movement. Those are only for example but will make each mech more unique, imho. Balance? Who cares with balance!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.