Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a Schotten Totten fan, I'd been curious if the new iello version will finally work with colorblind players.

My colorblind husband gave it a thumbs down when we saw a demo version.

First, like the original game, the yellow and green are impossible for him to tell apart. Ah, iello says. This version of Schotten Totten also has symbols! Unfortunately, the symbols are printed on the top and bottom center of the card instead of the corners, so when cards are fanned out in your hand, you can't see the symbols.

Yes, the cards can be held so the symbols could be seen; but there's a reason decks of cards have numbers in the corners. Nobody would buy a deck with numbers only in the centers because when we fan our decks in our hands we'd see nothing.

How awkward.

I was hoping this deck would work but my husband saw immediately how wrong this deck is for colorblind players. He lamented how colorblind people understandably don't become graphic design artists. And how graphic design artists don't understand what's needed for a game to be colorblind friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm sorry the game design isn't comfortable for your husband Moving the symbols to the corners should be an easy fix, so I've left a comment in our errata document to fix for future reprints of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm sorry the game design isn't comfortable for your husband Moving the symbols to the corners should be an easy fix, so I've left a comment in our errata document to fix for future reprints of the game.

My husband thanks you and wants you to know he appreciates that iello will be changing the game in the future for colorblind players. Many publishers wouldn't bother and it takes an extraordinary company to be responsive to this issue.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yolandavi wrote:
daloester wrote:

My husband thanks you and wants you to know he appreciates that iello will be changing the game in the future for colorblind players. Many publishers wouldn't bother and it takes an extraordinary company to be responsive to this issue.

Thanks!

This doesn't affect me or any of my loved ones, however I wanted to jump in and say the same thing. I think it's pretty awesome of Iello.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain games being configured for Colorblind players is often an overlooked and easy fix.

Seven7s is one that I have had, and love for that reason. Red7 claims the backsplash helps, but from our experience, it does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:

I am optimistically assuming this means IELLO is committed to keeping this great game in print. If so, consider me an IELLO fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.