Subject: Scythe fanmade box organizer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hei, here is a little fanmade addition!
I wanted the game to be well organized and easy to set up. But it was not enough: It was also very important to experience the atmosphere right when i open the box. That is why the little characters are occupying the central stage.
Organization meant i wanted a system allowing the cards to be together ready to be played, all the tokens and mechs of each one color to be united in a same package, and all the coins and ressources together in a box which could easily be set on the board. First i made the coin/ressources box: it is very handy and can be just set on the table. While playing we have naturally made so that the player whose turn it is has the box and passes it to the next player when his turn is over. It has worked nicely. Then i made individual boxes for each color. I wanted to make sure the mechs are visible at first glance. Inside the box are all the color's wooden tokens and on top are exhibited the mechs. I had this idea of giving every box a different design of a steampunk fortress but i don't have the time yet, maybe later. the cards are gathered together in a long organizer which can be set along the table. But it actually is better to just set the cards in the indicated spaces on the board.
Then there was this last issue: i wanted to make sure the backside of the player's boards are visible. I mean they are beautifully made and are almost never seen. So i had to juggle a bit with the sizes and measurements to reach this goal, but i'm glad I did the extra effort.
Oh yes... and i wanted to make sure the box can accept the expansion invaders from afar... and there came more millimeter juggling, but it works! Just need to get myself an expansion now...
Anyways, the whole thing is made of birch wood. I will treat the wood in a darker mahogany shade, and was thinking about decorating the box with clock wheels to give it a real steampunk style... except i don't have any clock wheels... i'll send the picts when it is finished on BGG!
Thanks for reading!
Olofe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Wow! Beautiful!

It is a very well thought-out organizer & I love your solution for each faction's pieces. I just wonder where the two new characters will live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is an impression homemade insert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! The two new characters will find their place on the central stage with the five others. I made sure there is room to dig their slots on each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Beautiful.

Building a wooden insert for Scythe is on my to-do list but I was waiting until I had the expansion before I started thinking about the design. You've shown what's possible and set a very high standard for me to aim for - inspiring stuff.

Thanks for sharing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Klure
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well done sir. well done indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lane
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow! Nicely done. You have some skills. I can barely glue a premade box together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super impressive! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Simkins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's an amazing frame you've built for the game!

I look forward to what the finished and stained set up looks like.

Also, the containers you've crafted kinda remind me of an amphibious landing craft or an amphibious air craft carrier, or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all! It's always so encouraging to have nice feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
This looks really great. I hope my copy of Scythe will come in the next weeks and I would love to make something like this.
Could you give the measurements of what you have made? I'm especially curious about the boxes containing the player pieces.
Could you maybe place the measurements in one of the overhead pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome and I feel compelled to copy it! I doubt my woodworking skills are up to it, but I wonder if I could get something laser-cut.

I feel like you missed an opportunity with the mech holders; you could have pinned an extra piece of wood with those riser/handle nails so you could rotate it 45 degrees and lock down the mech bases - then you could store/carry the box vertically. Everything else already looks secure.

I'm almost certainly not explaining that well. Start with a circle just large enough to overlap each mech base by 1-2mm centred on the pin. Cut into the edges so you can place the mechs in, then rotate it so the uncut section holds the bases down. Almost certainly wouldn't withstand vigorous shaking, but should hold up to regular transport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Sjoerd! I made it without plans really, just took the main measurements (those i can send) and while building i worked out the details. However i'll try to make you something to get started, sure. I'll post it a bit later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Troy! You are right, the mech system can be improved: while most of the mech keep nicely in place because the wood is cut slightly smaller than the base of the miniatures, I found out that the miniatures do not all have a base of the exact same diameter. Therefore a few of them are tempted to party during transportation. I could indeed have used the plastic original holder but it was not compatible with the wooden design. The system you ingeniously describe is quite clever too, I can indeed picture a nice "twist and lock" mechanism. However I am too advanced in the design to make such a change.
While i expected some of the mechs to roam free of their holders, i decided at the time upon two other discreet possibilities: the first one is to fix a neodyme magnet under the mech and another on the holder. Those magnets are 2 or 3 mm diameter and only 1 mm thick and extremly powerful. Efficient and discreet. Another even more simple system is to drill a small hole in the center of the base of the miniature, and fix a small stick in the center of the holder. Then the hole goes in the stick and... well you know.
let see what i end up doing!
Oh, and thank you for the nice feedback!! Feel free to make your own improved copy of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almost ready! I put some nice mahogany color, added some golden decoration Steampunk style, and made the handle of the mech boxes out of tea spoons I bought in the red cross. The spoons had this nice used golden pattern, very fitting. I still need to finalize the holders of the mechs. Also where i painted circles of the colors of the faction, I will print the logo of the faction itself. I was kind of wondering how cool it would be to make a mould of the miniatures and melt some tin miniatures... oh the feeling of weight and cold metal while moving your units on the board... who knows, maybe Jamey will make a super deluxe collector edition someday?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Here are the picts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Johnson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is pretty slick man! I was excited about finishing my insert now that the expansion is coming (today hopefully) but now feel like I could have been more efficient with space and am jealous that mine is only foamcore. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
They look awesome! Great work, Philippe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well Thank you Jamey!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for sharing Philippe. I'm not sure if my skills are good enough to make a version this neat, but we'll see! laugh
Looking forward to more information. Don't need to know all, just a measurment of a playerbox might be enough to calculate the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Hey Sjoerd! here are the basic measurements with which i got this project started, you'll find the missing ones while building. have fun and send me picts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks so much, that's more than enough!
Will see what I can do with this. I'm not planning to do this on short term (Christmas holiday might be a good time), but i will come back to you if it's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.