Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious if anyone has any good ideas on how this could be played solo? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
Also curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I did a simple solo version a while ago. I know some people are working on more complex ones.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1627229/one-player-variant-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core of this game is player interaction. I don't see how it would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Actually, it works quite well, and probably better than playing with just two players. Trade is more obvious than it might appear, e.g. first to make contact generally does better. I adopted the idea from another thread that the Romulans want to trade 2 for 3 initially, and promise to equalize later (which they may or may not do, depending on the situation). I also randomize player order on every turn. Beyond that, the game just takes over: Klingons need to be aggressive, but only after building up some production; Feds need to colonize rapidly, and trade well; and Romulans need stability at first to set up their late-game advantage. You can try out different strategies with different civs, but, in the end, the dice rule.
I have noticed, though, that the Klingons never win, although they are great spoilers. This doesn't seem to be the case with multi-player games, although I have tweaked the rules to favor the Klingons.
Anyway, try playing solo; you may be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is. And house rules are really easy to establish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
I had worked up a complicated set of rules for solo play, but after play testing it a few times I scrapped it. Even though I tried to simplify it, it just seemed too complicated. I kept skipping/forgetting steps.

Here are some of the basic ideas I tried to incorporate:

1. Only the solo player explored planets, the other 2 "AI Players" did not explore, but did other things.

2. I shuffled the 6 Starbase tokens from the AI Player's to form an "AI stack". Each Initiative stage I revealed the top Starbase. This AI player was considered the active AI Player for this round (received any rewards). the number of ascension symbols on the Starbase dictated how big each reward was (1-3).

3. I used Command Tokens for AI Players to track how hostile they were. Each AI Player stared with 5, then each time the Solo player colonized a system, the AI Player(s) flip a command token over. When all 5 are flipped, the become very aggressive, and reject any trade agreements.

4. When you rolled the lane die, if it matched the max lanes of the system you were placing it on, then I placed a lone Active AI Ship at the end of the lane. You could move adjacent and initiate first contact and trade with that AI Player, or attack it. Without a trade agreement, or combat, you could not pass, and would have to go another way.

5. When the Solo player draws an Exploration card, the color triggers an event. If the color of the card matches an AI Player (Red=Klingon/Green=Romulan/Blue=Feds), that AI player gets a culture token bonus. In addition, the color also grants the active AI Player a Resource bonus (Red=Production/Blue=Research/Yellow=Culture).

6. Each Initiative Stage, the Solo Player places an Ascendancy token on top of the System Stack. If the Solo Player fails to explore a new system this round, the active AI Player gets a free Ascendancy token (big penalty for not exploring).

7. At the end of the round, before replenishing Research tokens on Phenomena, the Active AI player gets the Research tokens left on any phenomena.

8. Whenever a Phenomenon is discovered, the Active AI player gets a randomly drawn technology advancement completed. AI players only spend research on shields/weapons.

9. The AI Players spend their Production on Ships, Research on Weapons/Shields, and Culture on Ascension. You are racing against them to 5 tokens.

10. When the AI Players become aggressive (all their command tokens flipped), they begin forming fleets with the ships they purchased, and send them toward your home world attacking everything on the way. Each AI fleet moves exactly 1 system (+1 per warp icon) on their turn until they encounter a target. Each AI Fleet also only attacks once per round. AI Players don't use command tokens, they move, then attack once each fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Wow, that's complicated! I just move from chair to chair and play each faction with the goal of that faction winning. All the rules as written, mostly. What amazes me is that sometimes you invent a tactic that your other selves never saw coming. Admittedly, a mildly dissociative drug might be a benefit in this endeavor. Or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.