Alien Artifacts» Forums » General

Subject: Impressions of BGG.Con? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that played it in BGG.Con can post some impressions?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some pictures as well? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The research path has a nice ramp up to it. Exploration is fun and opens up one-time use planets (and points). The war path gives good points, too, but opportunities to actunlly attack are limited by card draw, so increasing card draws is a good idea. The game plays over three or four 'years" determined by exhausting and reshuffling the main deck. Later yehrs move much faster than earlier ones because there are more cards in front of people and fewer in the deck. Also, players are drawing twice as many cards per turn. (This aspect reminds me slightly of Bohnanza.)

The game is still in prototype with some tinkering still occurring in card abilities. My brief explanation is probably poor and typo ridden from this portable device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How do they handle player elimination, given that it is a 4x game?

Is there a peaceful path that is other than turtling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When attacked, you just lose a point. No elemination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other games that you would compare it to in feel/scope/mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
The game is still in prototype with some tinkering still occurring in card abilities.

I played 2 different times at the con (once with Kayvon), once with the Portal demo team in the main hall (not the booth). It was fun both times. Kayvon is right with the great ramp-up and the increase in speed. It does need some tweaking or there will be combos, cards, and styles of play that will be overpowered. But it does seem that a lot of things are intentionally overpowered to provide more of a race-feel for it. All in all, given the work that I know Portal and Ignacy will put in before next year, I am sure the kinks will be worked out and we'll have an amazing game next year. I'm likely to purchase, just on having played the pre-production copy this year.

I loved the multi-use cards, the 4x feel (even though it is a little light in a couple of ex's), and the nice narrative arc. It feels like there is a real winner in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which "Xs" are light?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them, to varying degrees. Not trying to start a flame war, so this is just one person's opinion:

Explore: there is no map. There is a new planet that you could colonize, but it doesn't feel like exploring. You draw a card or pick from two face up ones. While 4x doesn't require a map, this just doesn't feel as developed in this aspect, as say, eclipse.

Expand: I get an ok feel for this, but again, there is more conceptually than expand normally provides. For example, you expand your planet count, your tech count (and abilities), and your player board capabilities (draw size, build size, bank size, and military power.

Exploit: this feels most developed as you can increase player abilities with wickedly powered techs and minor (one-time) planet abilities.

Exterminate: This also seems almost underpowered, as you can steal a victory point by attacking someone for your turn (if you have the card). While it is a victory point, it is only ONE victory point. Other card abilities provide the chance to get more in a turn, if you've got a good engine.

So there you go, my thoughts as to why it is light in the 4x area.

However, that being said, it was still fun and had some nice card/hand-building that I enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.