Bloodborne: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question - taking upgrade cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I think this is unclear in the rules. When you are in the dream/death and are allowed to take an upgrade card, are you REQUIRED to take an upgrade card? In the rulebook the phrase "gets to take a card" is used sometimes, but other times it just says "take a card". And it's never specified that it's optional.

I know you could just take an upgrade and then discard that same card if you don't want it, but in some cases if there are no good options on the table, it might be more strategic *NOT* to take a card, with the idea being that you avoid turning up a strong card that other players could take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe taking an upgrade card is optional. So if you went to the Hunter's Dream you are taking an upgrade.

Upgrades are not replenished until the end of the Hunter's Dream step so there is no chance of a better card being available to other players in this particular round. In the event that a really good comes up, then you'll still have a shot to get it next round depending on what other players do and who the starting player is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply! I tend to agree with you that it is not optional and we will play that way from now on.

Regarding the replenishment of available cards - yes we are aware that nothing is replenished until the end of the round. But this is still potentially an issue (albeit minor one) because it's not likely you would want to use Hunter's Dream twice in a row to just to pick up the new gear. This would be a suboptimal play in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.