$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 101.35

6,404 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

On The Cards» Forums » General

Subject: Similar game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
123123 123123
msg tools
Does this

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175878/504

follow a similar game construction approach?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Ish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
XXX123XXX wrote:
Does this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175878/504 follow a similar game construction approach?

On The Cards forms card games out of four parts (the deal, the aim, the card play and trick taking), with each aspect requiring the other three to make sense - if you don't have all four parts, you don't really have anything.

504 has an overall turn structure which the modules slot into to fill out various details. You can miss out the third module without really causing any impact on the game, and mechanically you can miss out the first or second module while still leaving something which is technically playable (if you don't mind stalling due to lack of money or playing indefinitely due to no end condition).

As a result, my view is that these approaches are different. However, this is a personal view, and I can see how people approaching the question from a different angle might see similarities.

Sebastian Bleasdale
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123123 123123
msg tools
Sebastian Bleasdale wrote:
XXX123XXX wrote:
Does this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175878/504 follow a similar game construction approach?

On The Cards forms card games out of four parts (the deal, the aim, the card play and trick taking), with each aspect requiring the other three to make sense - if you don't have all four parts, you don't really have anything.

504 has an overall turn structure which the modules slot into to fill out various details. You can miss out the third module without really causing any impact on the game, and mechanically you can miss out the first or second module while still leaving something which is technically playable (if you don't mind stalling due to lack of money or playing indefinitely due to no end condition).

As a result, my view is that these approaches are different. However, this is a personal view, and I can see how people approaching the question from a different angle might see similarities.

Sebastian Bleasdale


.....but doesn't a possible resemblance lie in the assembling of interchangeable mechanics?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XXX123XXX wrote:
.....but doesn't a possible resemblance lie in the assembling of interchangeable mechanics?

Sure, but there are evidently significant differences too.

E.g. one could argue that Dominion and Kingdom Builder also have a possible resemblance in the assembling of interchangeable mechanics, but they too are also significantly different from 504.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.