Subject: Is it worth getting into this game now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gosselin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
new user
I want to play an LCG, but the Arkham Horror game seems to be a lot slicker and stream-lined. I can only afford one. I like both themes equally. I've read everything by both Tolkien and Lovecraft, as well as a lot by other "Lovecraftian" authors.

I like how this game has more content and deck building options.

People tell me this game feels a lot more mathematical than Arkahm.

Any advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a co-op/solo game then LotR is it.

If you want pvp then Android: Netrunner is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AarontheGamer wrote:
I want to play an LCG, but the Arkham Horror game seems to be a lot slicker and stream-lined. I can only afford one. I like both themes equally. I've read everything by both Tolkien and Lovecraft, as well as a lot by other "Lovecraftian" authors.

I like how this game has more content and deck building options.

People tell me this game feels a lot more mathematical than Arkahm.

Any advice?

Perhaps wait a few weeks and see how people review Cardham Horror. LotR is an excellent game, and well worth your time, but early reports on the new one are really positive too...I haven't played Arkham yet, but hope to this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're really looking for deck building, LotR is the choice simply because the card pool is so much larger. In any LCG, there is very little deck building you can do with just a core set. But, within the next year I'm sure there will be some good deck building in Arkham. Although building around 1 investigator is inevitably going to give you fewer options than building around 3 heroes.

I haven't actually played Arkham yet, but I suspect it has a lot of advantages over LotR - like cleaner rules - because they are building on the experience of LotR. The campaign system seems like the main attraction, if that is what you are looking for.

From what I've seen, LotR looks more mathematical and Arkham has a better story. I like the math, so that will be up to your preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW, my thoughts come with no experience with AH. I have only followed the forums and FFG news.

My advice (assuming theme doesn't matter) would be based on:
How much do you like deckbuilding?
How important is the consistent campaign?

LotR has a lot more deckbuilding that needs to be done. There are some decks that can handle several different quests, but those decks tend to not be very thematic.

The deckbuilding in AH is only done at the beginning of the campaign, and then you tweak your deck using the experience you have gained. This tweaking is done similar to that in the Pathfinder Card Game --- minus the random element.

For the 2nd point, AH is built with the campaign in mind from the get-go. It will have much more of an RPG feel to it. It appears that each mission is not so much of a black/white victory/loss --- more a "degrees of success" (or not) type thing.

LotR shoe-horned in a "campaign mode" with the Saga expansions - the stories of the novels - by having Treasures and Boons/Burdens which could only be included in a deck if you earned that particular card in an earlier quest. It works very well --- but the game was not built with it in mind and so there are limitations.

One final point - which may or may not matter to you - is this: LotR was the first co-op LCG. Lessons were learned. These have all been incorporated into AH from the start.

Also, the content and deck-building options for AH are coming.

For myself, I've been with LotR from the start and love it. I don't have time to do both, so am sticking with LotR. That being said, I do have a small hope that LotR will wind down this next year (final Saga will come out; maybe this next cycle will be the last) so that I can get into AH, because I am very interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to look at it is, how much do you feel like collecting and spending now or later? How much do you pay attention to hype?

LOTR has a huge back catalog now. There is the standard game that has it's own non-canon narrative and the saga editions that follow the books hobbit and LOTR, the latter of which is more campaign based, btw. With the first of two parts of ROTK coming out, the community is speculating whether or not the game will be ending soon (of course, to be fair, they are always worried about that). Speaking of the community there is a huge wealth of resources and you can find pretty much any answer and there are great websites and articles about the game.

Arkham is just starting and if you want to splurge and get more stuff up front, well, you can't. You will have to wait, but that can be fun too, right? Checking FFG everyday, reading spoilers, pondering strategies, etc. Growing up with the game and the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Arkham at all, but yes in my opinion LOTR is still worth getting into.

The game is solo or co-op, so you don't have to drawback at all that you are 'behind', you know there is lot's and lot's to go for and expand your Tolkien universe, and even if the game dies in a couple of years (the speculation is always there, I don't bother with it anymore) you can play for centuries with what is out right now.

And if you start from scratch, you can always ask here if you are stuck or have doubt about a ruling, this game has a very active and nice community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH LCG has fixed so many issues with LOTR LCG. I have everything (including playmats and art cards) for LOTR LCG cause it was a long lived favorite game of mine. Now that I have AH LCG and have seen Matt and Nate talk about what they did with it...well...LOTR LCG is going to sit on the back shelf now. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
AH LCG has fixed so many issues with LOTR LCG. I have everything (including playmats and art cards) for LOTR LCG cause it was a long lived favorite game of mine. Now that I have AH LCG and have seen Matt and Nate talk about what they did with it...well...LOTR LCG is going to sit on the back shelf now. Sigh.

For thematic reasons I have no real interest in the AH LCG, but I'm curious what AH LCG does that would make LOTR not worth playing to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
happycatmachine wrote:

For thematic reasons I have no real interest in the AH LCG, but I'm curious what AH LCG does that would make LOTR not worth playing to you.

Well, it would take a while to explain everything. Locations are now quite amazing in AH LCG while in LOTR LCG it took a while to explain (or understand) why locations required progress.

Engagement is handled much more smoothly in AH LCG compared to LOTR LCG. It's easier to grok and easier to handle and the stats balance it out in a big way.

With the Rougarou scenario we got a taste of what a real challenge will be like in AH LCG. With LOTR LCG a real challenge meant much more um...randomness (swingy!) than AH LCG has.

Matt and Nate took all that they saw that was (I hate to say it) wrong with LOTR LCG and fixed it. It would take a while to explain but I'll leave you with a link to a video where they talk about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMc062I6Io

The narrative is amazing and so on. I hope you enjoy it.

Edit: Story was what I hoped out of LOTR LCG and despite playing it for years it became more about mechanics. With Arkham, it truly is about the story and that allows it to excel.

LOTR in later scenarios allowed a bit of story to creep in but nothing like AH LCG. There the story is in the forefront while the game carries the narrative.

Despite the tradeoff between narrative and game play I still want to play AH LCG again and again. Even with knowing what will come, it does blend into mechanics I still enjoy the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zachary johnston
Australia
Northcote
victoria
flag msg tools
Dumdidumdidumdum...
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played, and kept up with, LoTR since launch day I was looking forward to seeing other coop LCG turn up after 6 years.
Arkham is REALLY good, and they really have learned a LOT from the years of LoTR. Particularly how they represent the story, locations, continuity, and how a deck grows over time.
I have questioned my faith... (but i'm sticking with LoTR)

Some points to consider (and mention in above comments):

*LoTR has a wonderful pool of cards and adventures to draw from. The most recent adventure packs are fantastic.
*You do need to build specific decks for certain scenarios, and the depending on how you want to play, the 'theme' (making a deck that is 'The Fellowship', or hobbits, or Gondor, or...) of your deck might appear to be at odds with the adventure. On the flip side, you might not care about theme and you bust out the mechanics to create some truely awesome interactions. Either way, get ready to be deck building much more than AH.
*LoTR has been learning as it grows, so if you aren't planning to buy into everything you will need to do some homework in order to get specific cards from 6 years of product.
*LoTR has the Saga expansions (the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books) which often appeal at entry and is a nice neat 'i can have it all' package.
*The LoTR community is AWESOME.

*AH is brand new and you can join at ground level.
*AH has taken locations and almost made it boardgame like (which strongly appeals to my own visual aesthetic).
*AH has a strong campaign mechanic but can also be played as stand alone adventures
*the decks are smaller (30ish) and will be sold 2 copies per card. Unsure how deep card interactions will go with that deck size over time for 1 investigator (vs 50 for LoTR and 3 copies per card for 3 unique heroes).

*the art in both is GORGEOUS
*LoTR feels sweeping and more epic to me, AH feels more menacing and close.

I'm still sticking with LoTR and a friend of mine is going to go all in on Arkham (although I've got the core set) so if you can do both...

Either way you will have really good games on your hands and lots of folks to chat to about.
Win win really!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pros/cons

LotR has been out for a while which is a pro in that there's immediate access to a lot more content, but dread of needing to buy a lot to catch up // Arkham has the opposite
the theme for each are pro/con depending on what you like more
Arkham will apparently build upon some of the things they've learned with LotR LCG. it's almost what A Game of Thrones 2.0 is to A Game of Thrones, but we get to keep both
that said, they still have different mechanics, and LotR is still adding new stuff to make it fresh and interesting

imo, theme and how you feel about the release difference should be the biggest concerns, but buy both if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old toast "To our mistresses and wives - may they never meet!" sums up how I feel about the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There has never been a better time to get into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
For myself, I've been with LotR from the start and love it. I don't have time to do both, so am sticking with LotR. That being said, I do have a small hope that LotR will wind down this next year (final Saga will come out; maybe this next cycle will be the last) so that I can get into AH, because I am very interested in it.

As someone who only recently got the core set, am loving it, and would like some more, the thought of them winding it down is perversely appealing. Looking at the range of options for new content leads to a kind of analysis paralysis. I wouldn't be interested in the theme for Arkham Horror so it's a moot point for me, but being able to take aim at one thing at a time rather than chasing multiple targets with more targets being added all the time sounds great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Ive been playing lotr for 3 years and own everything. But I can't afford both gameS. Arkham's theme appeals more to me and I'm not interested in the dream chaser and harad expansions so I'm planning on switching over to arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disregarding the fun factor of either (LotR has more to buy and play, AHLCG is more streamlined to play), AHLCG will be cheaper for you at the moment. I feel a strong urge to get a second core, but after that it's just a monthly purchase (on months where the boat shows up, of course).

The game starts off with a deluxe before the first cycle though, which is unusual. But after that it's more or less the same as any LCG: Six small packs, an excruciating delay, a new deluxe and repeat. Start now and your wallet can keep up.

What LotR has going for it is that it's really darn popular. Reprints are issued monthly or so, and there's always *something* to get. Even if you buy a random pack in a cycle whose deluxe set you lack there are still player cards and new heroes of use in there.

It seems Arkham will be focusing the new investigators around the deluxe sets, and add a few player cards in the small packs, making those mostly encounter cards. But that also means you can retire your core investigator to a nice, cozy asylum and start over with a new one, picking up new quirks as the cycle evolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.