Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: will torpedos aver have a new ruleing so they are good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navy 2001
msg tools
torpedos do not seem that good atm..or am i missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a High Yield Photon Torpedo (sp) resource card which boosts the existing cards a bit if you're into them.

Here are 2 house rules for home games which I feel either seperately used or combined make them worth the points:

It is a missed opportunity that Torpedoes don't have an "area of effect" like all ships within range 1 radius from the target ship get Dice -2 rolled againat them.

The Wandering Inn used an "exploding crits" rule with their torpedoes where upon rolling a natural Critical you keep that result and roll an additional die (if another Critical is rolled it repeats) which made them more exciting.

Either house rule doesn't require a single change to the cards as printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:

The quick answer is no. They already changed them to use the time token mechanic instead of disabling on the newer versions, but they are still pretty weak. There are a couple of playable torpedoes on specific ships if you build specifically for them, but other than that, they are pretty terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
In my experience, Torpedo cards are more value on ships with lower PAV. Going from a 2 or 3 to 5 is a substantial jump. Going from 4 or 5 to 5 usually isn't worth it. The ships with single point increase specialty Torpedoes are, in my opinion, the worst value for the points because you typically loose whatever quality or effect is built-in to the standard version of those Torpedoes.

That being said, I did a build with High Yield Photon Torpedoes from the Cairo prize on the Pegasus that is pretty fun.

Secondary weapons are also the only way to utilize your rear fire arc, which on some ships can be a big reason for torps.

I'd say most of the time you can run without torpedoes unless you can work an angle or ability to make them worth it, but they aren't completely worthless as a lot of people seem to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:

As a house rule, I always liked the idea that a ship could re-enable one torpedo card in the action phase for free if it did a green maneuver during the maneuver phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I have wondered recently about changing the text from spending the Target Lock to simply having one. It provides some relief to the two major complaints: action economy and dice modification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pantner
Australia
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

There is a High Yield Photon Torpedo (sp) resource card which boosts the existing cards a bit if you're into them.

Though, if you're playing in an OP, that resource is expired so might not be legal.

I've had some fun with torps as burst damage.

ie, Ent-E with the new Khan. Fire At Will, High Yield Torps (from the Cairo) and Remata'klan. That sits at 49-49 SPs.

If it works right, you get an alpha strike at CS9 of 13 Dice (split into a 6 and a 7).

You'll need to take an Aux for the torps, but that leaves you with either a TL or BS. If you have protocol you can have double BS. If you have someone light Martok 8 on another ship you can have double BS and a single Target Lock.

I also ran the Dominion Battlecruiser with Volley of Torps, that ships torpedoes and secondary torpedo launcher. That gave me (from memory) a 5 attack, a 6 attack and then a 3 attack. Also had protocol so have 2 BS tokens to spend. Had to use Thot Gor and Saakona for that build, would probably also work with Khan (and give people a surprise!) Would be nice to work Remata'Klan in there, but i don't think i have the points

EDIT-
Just checked, with Remeata'Klan (but no secondary torps) you'll get a 7 + an 8 attack.

Also looking at using Retaliatory Strike to trigger a Torp, probably both on Khan aswell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check these forums, especially variants, you will see this question litigated countless times. Torpedoes are terrible and everyone knows it (but WK apparently). There are lots of ways to fix them but WK doesn't want to fix them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, they aren't much better on the X-Wing side. But it seems like a Torpedo should work—even at some cost—on the Attack Wing side. This is, after all, the level of play (ship vs. ship) where a torpedo should work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.