25.2% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten a glimpse of many of the units and can clearly see there is a tier structure.

Gods are obviously at the top due to their high stats and abilities, and the troops are at the bottom based on their weak stats.

But monsters and heroes seem to fit in the middle with wide ranging abilities and stats without a clear dilineation of class.
Like, if you just showed me the stats without a name or picture, should I be able to tell if it is a hero or a monster?

So my question is, besides monsters being "monsters" what makes them different than heroes as far as game stats go? Or are they not intended to be vastly different?

I know monsters are harder to be thrown, and several heroes seem to have the leadership ability, and some abilities reference one type specifically but besides that, I do not see any actual difference in the dividing of the classes?
Like, are monsters generally better in combat, and heroes more tactical?
Do monsters on average cost more?

Does anyone have any insight into how they are different?
Would an all monster team play vastly different than an all hero team?

As of right now, if asked to explain the 4 base types of unit to a new player, I would say, monsters and heroes are basically the same thing as far as power. They range in cost and have a wide range of abilities.

Any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
You touch on the mechinical differences, which is that other things interact with them differently. That creates a noticeable difference within game. You'll also find monsters don't tend bring AoW cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
You touch on the mechinical differences, which is that other things interact with them differently. That creates a noticeable difference within game. You'll also find monsters don't tend bring AoW cards.

OK so I am not missing something obvious.
It seems like in general, heroes have troup synergy, give AoW cards and have more tactical abilities.
While monsters are more brute force.

So if you want an army that hits hard and shreads foes, draft a lot of monsters.
And if you want finess and cunning, then go the hero rout.

Does that sum it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
redben wrote:

OK so I am not missing something obvious.
It seems like in general, heroes have troup synergy, give AoW cards and have more tactical abilities.
While monsters are more brute force.

So if you want an army that hits hard and shreads foes, draft a lot of monsters.
And if you want finess and cunning, then go the hero rout.

Does that sum it up?

In broad strokes that seems correct, but there are some nuances to this of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
had the same question, from explanations I basically got 2 infos

first, the classification is more thematic (and perhaps balance based) which has game mechanic consequences in form of stuff that works (differently) on one or the other, e.g., the monster slayer boni.

second, otherwise they are mostly the same - used the same way and roughly in the same RP area, just that their skills tend to be on the brutish side for the Monsters and on the tactical side for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we have seen, heroes like Achilles and Heracles are very combat oriented and could easily feel like a monster as far as stats go.

It seems like heroes are more versatile as they can be just as powerful as monsters. Anything a monster can do, as far as talents and traits, a hero can do as well. But there are things heroes can do that monsters cant.

Monsters seem to be a more brutish "subset" of heroes.
And as a trade off for the lack of versatile potential, they are harder to throw around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Biggio
msg tools
There are some Special Abilities, that are based on the Type, like the Monster Hunter ability of Bellerophon, or the God Killer ability of Diomedes, which makes these Heroes more efficient against their favourite Type.
I don't know, if there is the corresponding ability to make you more efficient against Heroes, but as I understand it, Heroes are the central linchpin of your army, since they tend to give you the most versatile tactics.
On the other hand this is a game in which you draft your army, so you may want a specific hero or monster for your tactics, but it is drafted away from you, so you have to adapt and improvise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I have gotten a glimpse of many of the units and can clearly see there is a tier structure.

Gods are obviously at the top due to their high stats and abilities, and the troops are at the bottom based on their weak stats.

But monsters and heroes seem to fit in the middle with wide ranging abilities and stats without a clear dilineation of class.
Like, if you just showed me the stats without a name or picture, should I be able to tell if it is a hero or a monster?

So my question is, besides monsters being "monsters" what makes them different than heroes as far as game stats go? Or are they not intended to be vastly different?

I know monsters are harder to be thrown, and several heroes seem to have the leadership ability, and some abilities reference one type specifically but besides that, I do not see any actual difference in the dividing of the classes?
Like, are monsters generally better in combat, and heroes more tactical?
Do monsters on average cost more?

Does anyone have any insight into how they are different?
Would an all monster team play vastly different than an all hero team?

As of right now, if asked to explain the 4 base types of unit to a new player, I would say, monsters and heroes are basically the same thing as far as power. They range in cost and have a wide range of abilities.

Any insight?

As a general rule, you can indeed say that Monsters are big (so more HP) and that they hit hard. On the other hand, heroes offset their lower physical strength with Art of war cards as they are able to build strategies.

But I did not want to make it a general rule in the game. So there are some exceptions. What mattered to me when I was preparing the stats for the different characters, was to be faithful to their Myths.

For example, Antaeus is a Hero of the Poseidon expansion. He used to be a wrestler. He is not known as a strategist and he is a bully in the game. So he does not come with an art of war card.
In the other hand, Orion is a Monster. He used to be a giant hunter. As he is a hunter, it implies that he is able to use hunting strategies. So he comes with an art of war card.

Also some game effects only apply to a category or work better with a category (The Talent Mighty Throw as an example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
Like people said above monsters bring low amount of art of war cards which are also called Strategy value. Oedipus the hero has an ability which limits characters with low strategy value when they attack him. It's possible we'll see more abilities that use strategy values and the scenarios propably will too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
svrs wrote:
Like people said above monsters bring low amount of art of war cards which are also called Strategy value. Oedipus the hero has an ability which limits characters with low strategy value when they attack him. It's possible we'll see more abilities that use strategy values and the scenarios propably will too.

This would be sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
The Graeae sisters protect monsters. So, that's another subtle way the heroes and monsters differ.

I'm fine with the border between heroes and monsters being a bit muddled. Individual abilities matter more than rough classification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svrs wrote:

Let's not forget that there is now an increasing number of units that disable your units somehow - unless you pay an AoW card to undo it. Monster only armies would be severely crippled against these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made an excell spread sheet and averaged it out, and as is expected, on average, monsters have superior stats to heroes. Better attack, defense and vitality. They average out about 1 point higher in these catagories.

I think it would be interesting to see an all hero team vs an all monster team to see how often brains wins over brawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.