Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent analysis article from Yahoo News of all places:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-democrats-2016-mistake-100053...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
They 'fixed' the "Cable-holdings" in LIEU of the 'election'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Hate to give it up to myself, but I said the same thing two days after the election concerning demographics. And Democrats forgot one more important thing: almost all liberals are Democrats, but not all Democrats are liberals. There's a lot of moderates and more than a few conservative Democrats, and they're the ones who were marginalized by the party.

Finally, it appeared that the Democrats worried too much about putting down people who kept calling Cait "Bruce Jenner" instead of remembering:

It's the economy, stupid, and that affects EVERYONE.

They deserved to lose.

So did the Republicans, but that's for another thread. The Republicans won by default, and only because Trump headed the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Hate to give it up to myself, but I said the same thing two days after the election concerning demographics. And Democrats forgot one more important thing: almost all liberals are Democrats, but not all Democrats are liberals. There's a lot of moderates and more than a few conservative Democrats, and they're the ones who were marginalized by the party.

Finally, it appeared that the Democrats worried too much about putting down people who kept calling Cait "Bruce Jenner" instead of remembering:

They deserved to lose.

So did the Republicans, but that's for another thread. The Republicans won by default, and only because Trump headed the ticket.

Funny because I remember democrats rallying around Elizabeth Warren and Bernie because they spoke of things like regulating Wall St greed and reducing student debt. Then again those are also the exact reasons why Hillary lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
brkmrtn wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

They deserved to lose.

Funny because I remember democrats rallying around Elizabeth Warren and Bernie because they spoke of things like regulating Wall St greed and reducing student debt. Then again those are also the exact reasons why Hillary lost.

But Clinton didn't make a forceful case for either of those, and especially did not make a forceful case for her own economic program, which I noted in a previous thread I thought was superior to Trump's, but Trump sold his better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
My pet theory is that in the back of a TON of working class Americans' minds is that most people's health insurance has shot up during the Obama years either in spite of or due to Obamacare depending on who you believe and I have got to think that for the broad swath of working class Americans who have less in their paycheck every month, that's gotta be a factor.

The failure to prevent it or really even mention the fact that the average employee co-pay is shooting up at an astronomical rate is a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our company just renewed our health insurance and I'm going to have to pay an additional $20/month for the exact same insurance. Even worse, this is $20/month more than I paid for my insurance two years ago, as well. This is getting out of hand.

rylfrazier wrote:
My pet theory is that in the back of a TON of working class Americans is that most people's health insurance has shot up during the Obama years either in spite of or due to Obamacare depending on who you believe and I have got to think that for the broad swath of working class Americans who have less in their paycheck every month, that's gotta be a factor.

The failure to prevent it or really even mention the fact that the average employee co-pay is shooting up at an astronomical rate is a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
My pet theory is that in the back of a TON of working class Americans' minds is that most people's health insurance has shot up during the Obama years either in spite of or due to Obamacare depending on who you believe and I have got to think that for the broad swath of working class Americans who have less in their paycheck every month, that's gotta be a factor.

Fair point. Mine shot up 4-6k per year depending on how much I take out for my new HSA.Our insurance was great, but (from what our HR newletters said) it did not provide coverage for adults that live in their parents basement. So our company had to move to a new plan. which is very limited in our state.

There was no $2500 cheaper savings, there was no keep your doctor. It was all a lie to get it passed. And now any time the costs go up, Obamacare gets blamed. It will be the gift that keeps on giving because insurance premiums never go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Obamacare is almost certainly a factor that has turned working Americans against the Democratic Party over the last 6 years. And it's why Democrats have been steadily losing elections at all levels of government.

The Republicans have an opportunity to deliver a better program. They've no longer got the excuses. If they don't deliver, they will find themselves losing ground as well.

Certainly there were more factors than just that. But I think that was the big elephant in the room that no Democrat wanted to address. (Except Bill Clinton, but it appears that Hillary's campaign ignored almost all of Bill's advice.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other big mistake for Democrats was turning on the working class; making the underclass the enemy of all that is good and holy. They ran a campaign aimed at upper class elites and smeared the working class with their usual litany of racist/sexist/xenophobe nonsense.

The Democrats simply could not look at the issues that concerned the flyover country voters without reducing it to "You're just racist/sexist/xenophobic."

And insulting your potential voters and then asking them to vote for you . . . well, that doesn't work. Democrats were more concerned with thought-purity than creating the Big Tent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.