Axis & Allies: 1942» Forums » General

Subject: Which version of Axis and Allies should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools

I am looking to buy Axis and Allies. I played the 1981 version as a kid numerous times however I am not familiar with the latest versions.

I am looking for a version that is all in one (self contained game), has the best set of updated rules and units, and preferably is close in quality to the original version (plastic factories, paper money, IPC tracker, full battle board, etc).

I realize this is subjective. I've ruled out 1941 because I am not interested in the streamlined rules. I am also not that interested in combining Pacific and Europe versions as my wife has her limits. :-)

I can't afford an anniversary edition.

I believe this leaves 1942 correct? Sure seems like there is a lot of low quality or missing parts though.

Should I just go with the 1942 version? Is this the best all round version available now?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
BTW, I need someone to play this with. Any players in the Southern Utah/Vegas area? What's the best way to find some local players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you have wittled it down pretty well. 1942 2nd ed. is what I would recommend. Self contained, latest rules and imho very nice quality to cost perspective. You should be able to find one in the $50-75 range easily enough. There will be differences to the classic versions(more units, territories, and a few new rules), but it is still the core A&A experience.

Great version in my opinion, esoecially since I am not able to break the monstrous Europe & Pacific 40 out to play that global version all that often.

The campaign games(D-Day, Guadalcanal, and Battle of the Bulge) are self contained games, but not global and are usually only 2 or 3 player.
1941 is sreamlined, yes, but a lot more affordable and plays quicker.

So for closest to original versions by Milton Bradley go with 1942 2nd ed(this updates and replaces Spring 1942)-the box cover is identical excepte for the name, so make sure it is 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I picked the following for $41:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080NQ878/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Sound like a good price and the correct version?

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
This does NOT include paper money, correct? If so, how does money work in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencil and pad of paper is what they recommend. I always just use poker chips in games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
I have 1942 second edition and use Monopoly money. There is also no full sized battle board, just a small piece of cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Cubsnextyear17 wrote:
I have 1942 second edition and use Monopoly money. There is also no full sized battle board, just a small piece of cardboard.

How cheap can you get? I would have paid $5 for money, IPC tracker, and battle board. I don't see the cost of those items exceeding $5.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
I got it on Amazon for about 42 dollars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to historicalboardgaming.com. You can buy some pretty awesome paper IPCs there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1942 Second Edition is the closest thing to the original 1984 (not 1981) edition. Only it'a much better in terms of game play and quality of components. Yes they cheaped out by not including paper money or plastic factory minis but you can always print your own money or find some from other games so not that big a deal. The minis and map are actually much better than the original so you should be happy with your purchase.

Edit: Welcome home to the hobby. Too bad you are too far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wound up using paper money from some of my other A&A games, but if one doesnt have those, then peruse the file sections of the different A&A games, there is IPC's, and boards and charts that are ready for download and printing. Ebay has lots of sellers offering parts like boards, pieces and money, one can add on to their game for whatever they need. At first I thought I wouldn't like the combat strip as opposed to the old battle board, but I found the strip takes up less space, and I wound up not even needing the strips or boards after a couple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm telling you guys, HBG battle bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Second the HBG Battle Bucks. The only problem I have with them is they are out of stock so much of the time or at least back when I was looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
Second the HBG Battle Bucks. The only problem I have with them is they are out of stock so much of the time or at least back when I was looking.

They just announced that they are back in stock, via email alert sent last week. So's you know.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Axis and Allies fan already has tons of the IPC's laying around to use.
Entry level, go to the dollar store in your town, they always have play money in the kids/toy section really cheap and works just fine if you need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoma Mattox
msg tools
Well, which version is a fun question (especially considering that with ebay you can buy any of them).

Classic was released in 1984. Not many people play this version. It had rules about Commander in Chief and multiple force attacks that were subsequently changed in the Classic 2nd Edition.

Classic 2nd Edition, released around 1986 , if you want the "original" game most of us grew up playing. Still well supported at conventions like GenCon (they have a classic tournament).

"Revised" came out around 2004 and has an odd colored board. Personally, I love the way it plays and it seems more "balanced". The largest issue is that it is no longer played at conventions that I have attended.

1942 came out in 2009. There ended up being issues with the map that gave a bias to the allies (I believe it has been a while since I have played that version). Like Revised, this one is not played in any conventions that I have seen.

1942 2nd Edition came out in 2012. This game is the "current release" of the game. It is still well supported at conventions. The one thing you should know is that there is a pretty good bias to the axis. As in it is very difficult for the allies to win.

1941 is a "starter" game. Considerably fewer pieces, considerably cheaper cost, and has a much shorter play time. This game is played at conventions; but, not as a tournament. More like an introduction to the game mechanics of the "cooler more fun real" versions of the game.

Now, those are the more easily attainable versions more like the "original". In addition, there are:

Global; released as Pacific and Europe (you need to buy both games) in 2009 with 2nd Edition in 2012. This game will take you around 10+hours to play! Is supported in conventions and rather fun/cool...but is a considerably more in-depth game.

Anniversary was released in 2008. It is VERY VERY expensive. As in I have seen it sell for nearly $500. Personally, I enjoy the game play. It seems well balanced. It is supported at conventions. But, it is just too much $$$ for me I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoma Mattox
msg tools
As far as things like money. Anniversary was the last version that used paper money. They found out (at tournaments I believe) that most people tracked money, expenses, etc on paper and the money was just getting lost / confusing people. Many of us still prefer to use it. However, everyone I have played with in the last 10-years ALL track it on paper too. And, if you ever have a question, the paper is "gospel". Every turn ends with, "ok, I am at my starting point, minus these territories I have lost, plus these territories I have won, plus the amount I have written down that I didn't spend, so I get $xxx to start my turn"

The battle board. Yes, the last full one I remember came with Revised. Honestly, it rarely gets pulled out. We generally leave the pieces on the map, unless it is a large battle and someone requests the board. The cardboard strip is just fine (and takes up less room on the table). I do miss the silhouette of the pieces on the full board though. Made it easier for some to play.

A couple other things about the pieces you may want to know. Starting with Revised, they began to make the pieces more specific to each country. This means that Russia's bomber looks different than the US. This is kind of cool; but, to some it makes it difficult. Especially when you start adding things like cruisers (that can be mistaken for battleships) and destroyers (that can be confused for cruisers). I believe that Global (and possibly Anniversary) add in light bombers too (that can be confused for both fighters and bombers).

Finally, if you are colorblind, there can be a HUGE hurdle with the newer versions. I am colorblind...and I have NEVER had an issue playing Classic. With all the other versions, I have a very hard time distinguishing Japan/America and Russia/Germany. I have to look closely at the pieces (not the color). It is not impossible; rather, just adds another level of difficulty. Also, the board from Anniversary on blends together. I can't see the country boarders clearly. Add pieces to the game and I get lost in Europe. I had to use a silver sharpie to draw boarders that I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Pencil and pad of paper is what they recommend.

In another thread there is disagreement as to how commonplace the practice of pencil/paper for keeping track of money is. My crew used to do that all the time back in the day. More recent and frequent players dismiss me as saying they've NEVER seen players NOT use the physical money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, as for players...you can just to a search for utah players ( or a trade for utah players works too) and wittle it down from there.

There are several gaming groups that meet at either Game Haven or Comics Plus, and both have gamers that love to hang out here on BGG. No idea if they would be interested in A&A, but i know some of them are old timer war game players.

I have 1941 and really enjoy it. Yes, it's not the 'full flavor' version we know and love, but it CAN be played in a few hours and it scratches that A&A itch. you can also usually get it for less then $20. So...why not get both? :)

Personally, i live in the area but don't have time to play a full A&A game, but check around...there might be others who would love too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Let me know if you are looking for an extra player for this, or any other type of game.

I'm sorry but where do I search for Utah A&A players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Andersen
Denmark
Odense SV
flag msg tools
Hi,

We mostly play the A&A 1940 Europe, Pacific and Global versions (2nd Edition).

Also, we combine the game with historical inspiration (see below):

Expansion 1:
1. Russian Guard Infantry 2. German Waffen-ss Infantry- and Waffen-ss Panzer 3. British Commando Infantry 4. American US Marine Infantry 5. Japanese Banzai attack 6. Paratrooper 7. US Fighter Ace & German Luftwaffe Ace 8. Underground factory 9. Heavy Industry Production 10. Strategic Bombing 11. Historical Wartime Table & National Production Chart 12. Bidding

Expansion 2:
1. The Enlarged Pacific Ocean 2. Increased ship building 3. German King Tiger 4. Patrol Zone 5. Weapons Development 6. US National Guard 7. Advanced Production Capacity 8. Carrier-based fighter aircraft 9. Japanese defensive fortifications 10. Aircraft Carriers & Battleships taking damage 11. Japanese Destroyers 12. Super Heavy Battleship

Expansion 3:
1. US Armoured Infantry 2. German Panzer Grenadiers 3. US Heavy Transporter 4. Elite Infantry 5. Motorized Infantry 6. British Seafire Planes 7. German Me-109T Fighter Planes 8. D-Day 9. German Atlantic Wall 10. German U-Boots 11. German Waffen-ss Paratroopers 12. German Waffen-ss Artillery

Expansion 4:
1. Soviet T-34/85 Tank 2. Landmine 3. Red Army Conscription 4. Waffen-ss Panzer Grenadiers 5. Waffen-ss Obersturmbannführer 6. Soviet Commissar 7. Panzer General 8. Heavy Bombers 9. Landing Craft 10. Waffen-ss Heavy Tank 11. Rockets 12. Japanese Kamikaze

Kind regards

Axis & Allies Klub Danmark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Guys, what exactly are the differences between 1942 2nd Edition and the Anniversary Edition?

Specifically:

1. Are the rules the same? Is one version considered better than the other as far as gameplay?
2. Is the map the same?
3. Are there any new units in one version vs. the other? Or do they have the same units?

I tried searching for an answer but could not find a direct comparison. If you guys could help that would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I could of picked up a used Anniversary Edition for $250. Excellent shape except for the box and 3 or 4 missing items (a marker, IPC, single infantry).

I hope I didn't miss out and a screaming deal or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
I could of picked up a used Anniversary Edition for $250. Excellent shape except for the box and 3 or 4 missing items (a marker, IPC, single infantry).

I hope I didn't miss out and a screaming deal or anything.

250?
THIS is what makes me think of leaving this forum. I would think anything related to boardgames over $100 would be for middle aged divorced men living in their mom's basement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.