Support:

Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I had some Navajos game knowledge (I started reading the rules but finally I decided to not purchase it) and now I'm again interested in this one, but looking at both maps those coloured and numbered areas remember me the States of Siege game series (which I do not like).

So my question is: have this two games any relationship in the mechanics with SoS games?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Erwin wrote:
Hi, I had some Navajos game knowledge (I started reading the rules but finally I decided to not purchase it) and now I'm again interested in this one, but looking at both maps those coloured and numbered areas remember me the States of Siege game series (which I do not like).

So my question is: have this two games any relationship in the mechanics with SoS games?

Thanks.

None whatsoever.

That being said, I have to say that I really enjoy many of the SoS games... but Navajo Wars may very well be my favorite solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not a huge fan of SoS games. I find NW to be a much richer experience. There are some similarities in that you have multiple linear "paths of conflict" to manage, but the differences are far greater.

So I wouldn't dismiss these games just from your feelings about SoS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy SoS games, but they play nothing like Navajo Wars. This is much deeper, and does not use the same engine. You don't flip a card and move armies up one of the arms as they attempt to breach home base.

You have to play a few times to even begin to wrap your head around strategies. Much more immersive, open-ended, and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested to play Commancheria as it should feel different than Navajo Wars, given the differences between the Commanche and the Navajo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
I'm interested to play Commancheria as it should feel different than Navajo Wars, given the differences between the Commanche and the Navajo.

I've played both. The definitely feel different. In NW you are on the defensive right away and are trying to just survive. In Commancheria, you start the game expanding and taking territory--there is more of a sense of movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet (forgot about it until GMT charged me for it!), but I've played a bit of Navajo Wars and it's nothing like the SoS games at all. In fact, I don't really care for the SoS games. You could redraw the map on this as areas and it wouldn't really change anything (the different "tracks" don't really work the same way as they do in the SoS games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
States of Siege is nothing more than an appetizer, Navajo Wars/Comancheria are a full banquet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only talk about Navajo Wars. One thing that annoys me a bit is that bad luck can really screw you in both NW and SoS. But there is still far more strategy in NW, and the metagame is always interesting. I always think about what I could do better next time. In SoS-games I never feel that my choices matter all that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.