Hide
9 Posts

Conan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Key of Kuthchemes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Nordwall
msg tools
so, this one seems very hard for the OL to win if the players are very smart at all. relatively easy for conan to just grab the chest, do a pass off, then shevatas to hustle out the door.

In my own game, I think I'm going to require both heroes to make it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean E.
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just experienced this 20 minutes ago. Worse yet, Shevatas found the key in the first chest in the room next door! The lack of blockers really hurts the Overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Nordwall
msg tools
Greyee wrote:
Just experienced this 20 minutes ago. Worse yet, Shevatas found the key in the first chest in the room next door! The lack of blockers really hurts the Overlord.

Blockers only affects Conan. Shevatas laughs at your silly blockers!

In all seriousness, requiring both of them to leave would make the division of labor better. Shevatas moves through trying to find the key and conan thins the herd. Shevatas can get the big chest and take it out but he's a long ways away and more fragile.

In my own game, Conan got the chest and ran up away from the guards, blocking their ability to get to him fully. Shevatas killed guards and moved to pick up the chest. Wham, bam, done in 3-4 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am trying to do minimal 'fixes' to scenarios and, for this one, when building the asset deck shuffle the key and 2 asset cards together then put 2 asset cards on top of this; it means the key is in chest 3-5 and cannot be found right away.

At least the 'pick up chest' tactic is slightly easier for the OL to do something about (only slightly though); Shevatas with key in chest 1 means scenario is over.

I feel this scenario is poorly designed (the evade skill can make running scenarios trivial) but I will play it a few more times before making my final decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To easy for the heroes this one, Shevi can easily search a chest a turn with his free move of 3. Once opened a 7 move turn clears him of the board that the OL can do nothing about.

How does using the key on the chest when it's surrounded by guards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Nordwall
msg tools
Major Mishap wrote:
To easy for the heroes this one, Shevi can easily search a chest a turn with his free move of 3. Once opened a 7 move turn clears him of the board that the OL can do nothing about.

How does using the key on the chest when it's surrounded by guards?

By default I don't think anything stops that. Might not even be hindered.

That might be an interesting and logical add - you can't use the key on the chest while there are guards in the room.

Or... key usage is a complex manipulation, but the key gives 2 successes out of the gate on picking the lock. That way it is affected by hindering rules.

I think the chest probably needs to be randomized at that point though. Still very easy for Conan to run off with the chest he knows has the spellbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this one. Shevatas found the key in the first chest, while Conan descended the stairs and began the slaughter, then grabbed the red chest. Pirates started attacking Conan but couldn't hurt him much, and he cut them down, while Shevatas came down the other stairs throwing knives to kill more minions. In the end, Zaporavo and the archers did some damage to Conan, but I had him rest for one turn, and he recovered enough energy to crash through the wall into the back room with the small door leading to the street and out he went to victory.

It does seem like the Overlord needs some more help on this one. Maybe put the key in one of the final 3 chests, as someone else mentioned. And put a couple of guards in that back room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shevatas ability downright breaks some scenarios. I read in another thread that the game should have been called Shevatas and it is right. He can blitz, escape and, with a bit of luck, kill or maim most objectives.

I think the ability should not work with block (which is really he only thing the overlord can do in most cases) and only allow him to ignore hindrance penalties for movement (which would still be incredibly strong).

In any case, balance is really not there for some scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had Shevatas next to the chest, Conan with the key bogged down with guards. I spent all my OL gems, dealing as much damage as I could to Shevatas, but he still had three gems left. He used those to lift up the chest, and walk out of the bar (two spaces free move, one gem to lift up the chest, two to walk out the last two spaces).

On replaying this, I think I need to try and attack Shevatas as hard as possible early on, whilst relying on numbers / block actions to block Conan down for as long as I can. In a "get the thing and escape" mission, his ghost like powers are amazing - and given picking up the chest only knocks a single movement point off him, I can't see why you'd muck about looking for the key!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.