8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Battle Elementals Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Thomas
msg tools
new user
Hi everybody my name is John and I am designing a Battle based card game very similar to yugioh or magic. The market I am shooting for is not neccesarily the same as the people who play those games but prople who are looking for good fun with 2-4 players. My idea is for it to be a self contained game that comes with 4 prebuilt ready to play decks and rules that are simple enough to learn how to play within 20-30 minutes. my question is, is there a market for such a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Ayers
msg tools
Hi John,

I am very new here, but based on the other posts in this forum it would probably be a good idea to provide a little bit more information. Do you have any prototypes ready at all? If so, throw up some images. Same goes for some rules.

Just some ideas and advice, hope it helps?

Hapablap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammed Bellafquih
France
flag msg tools
Every game has a market as long as it is fun and interesting to play.

However,you need to think about how many card you can put in each prebuilt deck to make things interesting and strategic for people.
Also how are you going to balance the 4 decks ? will there be some kind of weakness, strenghts relation between each deck ?
Can decks be mixed up ? Etc.

Maybe if you show us more info on the concept and how the game is played, we can try to help a bit further

best wishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomas
msg tools
new user
Thanks for the replies guys I am currently building the first prototypes right now. hopefully they will be done by the end of Next week! as far as the balance of the decks I am basing it on elementals and there is basically a cirle of strengths and weaknesses like fire is week against water but strong against wind where water is strong against fire but weak against earth wind is strong against earth and weak against fire and erth is strong against water but weak against wind each element is also neutral against one other element Fire and earth are neutral and wind and water are nuetral. each deck will have 30 cards for multiple reasons including consistency as well as the game is designed to be quick to play.

Please ask me more questions i will post more about rules and summoning conditions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomas
msg tools
new user
also follow me on instagram @battle_elementals

that is where i will be posting all of the progress pictures of anything pertaining to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Ayers
msg tools
Threw you a follow on Instagram

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomas
msg tools
new user

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomas
msg tools
new user
I thought I would talk about my game a little bit to see if i can drum up a response.

the game is based on elements and I wanted there to be a way for them to interact. so fire is weak vs water, water is weak vs earth, earth is weak vs wind and wind is weak vs fire the same is true in the reverse direction that is fire is strong vs wind, wind is strong vs earth, earth is strong vs water and water is strong vs fire. also fire and earth are neutral and wind and water are neutral. if you are strong vs an element you attack for double if you are weak you attack for half and if you are neutral the attack stays the same.

In the game battle elementals there are 4 types of cards elementals, elements, power-ups and counters.

Elementals are your creatures that you do battle with there are 2 stats that are important on the card the power score which will be between 100-500 and the speed which will be 1-5 you have to pay the cost of the elemental which is summoning tokens equal to the speed of the elemental.

Element cards provide you with summoning tokes and they also allow your elementals to get the element bonuses. if at any time you do not have an element card on the field your elementals power is cut in half and the speed becomes 1. the way you lose your element card is either by using all of the summoning tokes that is attached to it or your opponent plays a counter card to get rid of it.

Power-ups are cards that are attached to your elementals unless it says draw or search they usually give you more power or speed.

Counters are cards that are played to counter what your opponent is doing whether they are attacking you dirrectly and you want them to attack your weaker elemental instead you would play a counter to lower the speed and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.