BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game suggestions for retiring father rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My dad is retiring this January at the age of 70. In thinking of things to get my folks for Christmas, I made a passing comment to my mom the other day about getting them a board game and she said they thought about asking for one. So, here is my dilemma...what plays well for 2 players, that is good for folks that have about as much board game experience as Uno and Yahtzee? Nothing too geeky or abstract. I thought about Patchwork but the theme will bore my dad to tears I'm sure. And Sushi Go would have the same effect on my mom. Ticket to Ride or Dominion are all I've thought of so far.

Any suggestions? Oh and before someone tries to be funny I've already considered Twilight Imperium 3, Kanban, Food Chain Magnate and The Gallerist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur would be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
7 wonders duel
What about 7 Wonders Duel? Pure 2p but shouldn't be too complicated if Dominion is an option.
+1 Jaipur

More players:
Istanbul (Kennerspiel des Jahres) is fantastic but maybe a bit too heavy? Maybe start with a family-heavy-game like Carcassonne, Takenoko, Splendor or Kingdom Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago de Cuba could be appealing to him. It is easy to learn (rated 2.18 on BGG - Istanbul has 2.62), has a nice looking board which is set up differently in each game, is quite strategic and has a nice theme.

I would prefer it over Istanbul because of the lighter weight. I think it's more accessible for a non-gamer or a casual gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My retired parents enjoy Cacao. They also like cooperative games, so if that's an option, you might try Pandemic or Hanabi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Seconded. I picked this up recently and it's a fantastic game. Easy to get in to with plenty of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents are retired and they enjoy both Jaipur and Ticket to Ride as two player games. They have also introduced to TTR to a lot of their friends.
The other game they enjoy playing together is The Game. My Mom wishes that it had a different "theme"(she hates skulls), but over looks it because of how much she enjoys the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride

It has a set collection mechanism that should be familiar to them from Rummy. On the USA map there is plenty of room to play without conflict and an opportunity to add friends. If you think they would prefer something that has a little more getting in each other's way you can look at Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (which has the advantage of a wintery theme, perfect for Christmas)

Another one you might want to look at is New York 1901. It has similar difficulty as TtR, looks fantastic, has a puzzle, building aspect and it's one with enough depth that they can grow into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
+1 Ticket to Ride

It has a set collection mechanism that should be familiar to them from Rummy. On the USA map there is plenty of room to play without conflict and an opportunity to add friends. If you think they would prefer something that has a little more getting in each other's way you can look at Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (which has the advantage of a wintery theme, perfect for Christmas)

Another one you might want to look at is New York 1901. It has similar difficulty as TtR, looks fantastic, has a puzzle, building aspect and it's one with enough depth that they can grow into.

Great suggestions! thumbsup

Some other games suggested already aren't as appropriate imo. If the plan is for them to play alone, then Pandemic and Istanbul have a certain amount of fiddliness to their setup and rules that I think would not be fun for them, nor easy to get past. Even 7 Wonders Duel is fiddly in its card layouts. Though they're good options for a more complicated game down the road maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends what interests them. My parents are mid 60s and really enjoyed Dominion. The good thing with that is tons of expansions.

Stone Age is another great game that plays well with 2, 3, or 4 players.

Recent days of wonder games may also be of interest: Five Tribes or Quadropolis

A 2 player classic like Lost Cities could be a fun card game.

And finally, one from left field. If they like spy craft theme with a puzzly accomplish 5 secret missions first, have a look at Covert (although you wouod need to teach them, as it is not really a gateway game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead with Ticket to Ride, but will keep the other recommendations in mind if they take to it. I didn't want to get them more than one game to start with (in case they do not take to the hobby).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Sheung
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
publisher
Melencolia is designed for kids, elderly and any age in between. It comes with 14 different (2-4 player) strategy games, and 10 more games are coming soon in 2017 (owners' manuals are free for download). All games are designed to improve memory, mental arithmetics, pattern recognition, logical reasoning and strategy planning. You will never be bored with these games. Each game has over a trillion possible outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.