Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Tessier
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been over two years! Love your design notes Rachel. Looking forward to more. Especially the reveal of your "mystery" designs hinted at in your Notebook section.

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You may instead be thinking, "Why is there a Bonaparte at Marengo 2nd Edition playtest map at all? I thought it was all wrapped up."

Actually, I was thinking, "Ohmyword! OHMYWORD! It's a Bonaparte at Marengo playtest map! That can only mean one thing. THE BALL'S ROLLING AGAIN!"

Can't wait to see whatever you eventually design and release. (Hopefully all five designs.) I will buy every one of them, no questions asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is terrific as I've always enjoyed your blog entries. Back in 2005 or so, they really pulled me into Bonaparte at Marengo, the design process, the 'look', its outcomes, etc.

Without being involved in play test, may I offer this one suggestion...please make the approaches and modifiers a bit more prominent than in the original since my eyes have another 11 years on them It would help play-ability in less than perfect lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
More.

http://www.simmonsgames.com/news/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Glad to see your post on the wide body printer. Being able to pursue a large print project idea without the creative interruption of getting a bunch of letter size pages printed and taped together is such a joy. I am fortunate to have access to a 36" inkjet. I hope yours will assist you in your creative flow.

I use two weights of paper. 24# coated for things that are mostly line art and will have not have large swaths of ink that could soak and wrinkle the paper. I use a 36# coated paper for anything with large areas of solid ink like satellite images and maps Some of the HP wide body printers come with tools on the administrative side that can be accessed through a web browser page. From their you can input the cost of paper and ink and it will report the cost of each map that you print. I won't say it is cheap but it is cheaper than I thought it would be. I just did a 36" x 48" print job with full ink coverage on about 40% of the area on heavy paper and the cost was $2.70. Printing at draft quality would cut the ink usage down quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blair
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! I've been looking forward to the new edition for years. Nice to see that it's progressing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great being able to read your blog again!

GamePlayer wrote:
Without being involved in play test, may I offer this one suggestion...please make the approaches and modifiers a bit more prominent than in the original since my eyes have another 11 years on them It would help play-ability in less than perfect lighting.

Very important point. The look of the game (as well as the gameplay) makes it very elegant, but I also think that the approaches and modifiers should pop out at first sight, over a more dim background. The game is very good but somehow 'weird' on a first approach, and the background dominating the board does not make things easier for beginners...

Once the game is ready rules wise, you may consider asking here (or on your blog) the opinion of players about the final art? I don't know if darker/thicker approaches would be better than lighter ones on a darker landscape...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bounder wrote:
Glad to see your post on the wide body printer. Being able to pursue a large print project idea without the creative interruption of getting a bunch of letter size pages printed and taped together is such a joy. I am fortunate to have access to a 36" inkjet. I hope yours will assist you in your creative flow.

I use two weights of paper. 24# coated for things that are mostly line art and will have not have large swaths of ink that could soak and wrinkle the paper. I use a 36# coated paper for anything with large areas of solid ink like satellite images and maps Some of the HP wide body printers come with tools on the administrative side that can be accessed through a web browser page. From their you can input the cost of paper and ink and it will report the cost of each map that you print. I won't say it is cheap but it is cheaper than I thought it would be. I just did a 36" x 48" print job with full ink coverage on about 40% of the area on heavy paper and the cost was $2.70. Printing at draft quality would cut the ink usage down quite a lot.

Thanks so much for the useful advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've been posting blog update notices here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1674981/new-design-blog...

NT's forums are more active. No other reason. Not everything in the blog is going to be about BaM in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The First Turn of Play examples are a great addition. Even if you want players to discover strategies while playing, showing them different ways to start the game will settle down the rules they have just read in their minds. And from there on they are free to try and discover!

Even if the art on the examples is not final, I still think that those approaches should be more prominent, for an easier play. For the beauty of the background, you could also provide a pdf to buyers of the game without approaches at all, that they could frame and put on the wall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
DANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelion
badge
DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion
mb
so generous of you to write these entries, a delight to read your thought process. Can't wait to get my hands and mind on the 3rd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.