Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the stretchgoals, expansions and miniature packs available in this kickstarter, I'm wondering how the drafting phase should be approached with such a selection available.

For new players, I imagine it would be quite overwhelming to just put everything on the table and let them try to choose a workable team. So, do we know if there are any instructions to be considered when preparing for the drafting phase?

Perhaps a workable limit set on each category, so some are left in the box from the start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Practically speaking, you're probably right. But it does seem like there's a risk that you choose a subset that is imbalanced with itself. If you choose a god/unit/whatever that is strong when not countered in a specific way, if you neglected to include that counter one player might run away with the game. And to avoid this presumes you know all the good/bad matchups, where it would be better to let players respond to each others' picks.

Probably the best way is to start with the base game only for new players, and introduce new units several at a time in subsequent plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that too. Core box does seem to be the best place to start, but, as you rightly put it, you risk introducing strong picks with no available counters as you add more to that base set.

I guess my underlying concern is that the drafting phase requires such an intimate knowledge of the game, that I'm not sure any new players will be able to digest all the choices before the game technically even starts.

My hope would naturally be that they still have fun, but if there's anything I can do to at least give them a chance of picking well, I'd be up for it. Sure I could go about explaining why this or that is a good/bad pick each time, but I think that would sour the experience somewhat.

Not to mention I'm not likely to ever be a strategic guru of this game, so my advice may be misplaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game arrives (and probably before that) I am going to make a pre-selection of 6 Gods and 10 of each {troops, heroes, monsters}. These can come from the core box, SGs and expansions. With these units we are going to play until we have the feeling we are ready to add more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
cinos wrote:
With all the stretchgoals, expansions and miniature packs available in this kickstarter, I'm wondering how the drafting phase should be approached with such a selection available.

For new players, I imagine it would be quite overwhelming to just put everything on the table and let them try to choose a workable team. So, do we know if there are any instructions to be considered when preparing for the drafting phase?

Perhaps a workable limit set on each category, so some are left in the box from the start?

We are fully aware that drafting will not be easy if you put the full KS content on the table

Do not worry, we are coming up soon with something which will make drafting more comfortable if you own a lot of miniatures. This will not require to install 100 miniatures on a table. This will be very fast and handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Benoit.

I was quietly hoping you had something in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isn't that completely alleviated by the inclusion of scenario/campaign modes? I mean, from what I've heard so far, there are scenarios with pre-planned armies and campaigns that allow players to build up their forces step by step. Wouldn't that make them perfect for introducting new players to the game without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available options?

You know, kind of like the single player missions in online RTS games... you play them to get to know the story and learn about the individual units, and then, when you're ready, you can go online and get your ass kicked in multiplayer by some 15-year old Korean boy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Isn't that completely alleviated by the inclusion of scenario/campaign modes? I mean, from what I've heard so far, there are scenarios with pre-planned armies and campaigns that allow players to build up their forces step by step. Wouldn't that make them perfect for introducting new players to the game without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available options?...

I agree, for a new player(s) going with a scenario as a starter seems like the obvious choice. It takes the game before the game aka draft out of the equation and teaches you how to play and how abilities interact, which you then can use for making wiser choices in the drafting.

In the end it's still a list building game, just that you can't be sure your list will get through; and for that you always need pre-existing knowledge how stuff works and interacts.
Of course random draft is always an option and goes more into the direction of "make the best of what you get" which also can be fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:

Of course random draft is always an option and goes more into the direction of "make the best of what you get" which also can be fun

Yes i can imagine making piles with 1- 2- 3- 4- and 5-point units and a pile with Gods and just picking them from the piles until you have 12 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Randombias wrote:
Isn't that completely alleviated by the inclusion of scenario/campaign modes? I mean, from what I've heard so far, there are scenarios with pre-planned armies and campaigns that allow players to build up their forces step by step. Wouldn't that make them perfect for introducting new players to the game without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available options?

You know, kind of like the single player missions in online RTS games... you play them to get to know the story and learn about the individual units, and then, when you're ready, you can go online and get your ass kicked in multiplayer by some 15-year old Korean boy?

Well, Skirmish mode and scenario modes are two different things. The rule book will include a quick start through a scenario. There will also be scenarios for beginners (we had a demo game KS live with one of them a few days ago).

The skirmish mode implies drafting. If you are a beginner, the best thing to start for a draft is to play with the core box only and then including progressively more units with next games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I planned on randomly selecting 4 gods/titans, 5 heroes, 4 monsters, and 6 troops to be available for drafting. That way you can use all the minis at some point or another. Of course, the first few times will be with the core set alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unlike a lot of minature wargames 2-player starters (such as the ones GW do for their Warhammer games), the MB core box is a full game in and of itself. You don't need anything more to play full size games and you'll get a lot of games out of it before you feel like you've exhausted the options. So I would definitely recommend starting with just the core, and then adding new content when you feel comfortable doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:

You can also check here for some ideas on that:

Variants for Army Drafting -- Secret Draft -- Random Draft

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Heh well considering all the cool extra stuff that comes with the kickstarter and possible add ons as well, I'd want to use some of that straight away..

I think I would put the base game stuff on the table first, and then I would add just a little more to that right away.
Like one extra god, two extra beasts, two extra heroes and two extra troops. That would allow me to put some favorites on there that arent in the main box.

Then again I always tend to play a new game I buy against myself first before playing it against my friends, so that I get a good understanding of how it works, before explaining it to my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.