Hide
6 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Terrible and Awesome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
Pandemic is awesome, because it brought to life a watershed combination of mechanisms that made for a clear, simple way to make a cooperative game endlessly variable and unpredictable in a way that is fair to the players and reliably presents new challenges.

It's one of those games where, once you see its mechanisms at work they seem so obvious that you wonder why no one thought of them years and years ago. After you play it, you will think that you could design a cooperative game, too, because the way to make one is now obvious.

Yet Pandemic is terrible. I can't play it ever again, because it's just too easy to play the game nearly perfectly. Individual players really don't have much to do each turn, and the absolute best combination (or one that is so close that the difference is statistically irrelevant) is obvious. If I'm playing with incompetent players, watching them faff about is painful, and if I play with competent players we win with ease. (Or perhaps we could due to a truly awful shuffle -- honestly don't care to play enough to find out.)

I'm glad that I played Pandemic three times. First, seeing how it ticks made me happy. Second, figuring out to play well was instructive, and... Third, it taught me a lesson about how to better navigate a game that is new to me.

I'm really not glad that I played it seven more times or so after that. It's boring. Watching someone else figure out how to play well (or worse, NOT figure out how to play well) was dreary.

Pandemic: I highly recommend you try it a time or two to see its slick deck recycling mechanism, and it's probably perfect for kids. Keep a hammer on hand to hit anyone who tells someone else what to do on their turn. I watched a four-player solo-by-proxies game of this once and I still carry the emotional scars.

There are player powers that clearly work well together, yet you don't want to tell someone else what to do one their turn. Playing with people who didn't work together, yet not playing their game for them, has led to some of the worst gaming moments ever for me.

I'm rambling. Review over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YourHighnessness wrote:
I can't play it ever again, because it's just too easy to play the game nearly perfectly.

It is often overlooked in this day and age but humility can be a virtue.

YourHighnessness wrote:

Rambling online does not equal a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colossos colossos
msg tools
Runcible Spoon wrote:
YourHighnessness wrote:
I can't play it ever again, because it's just too easy to play the game nearly perfectly.

It is often overlooked in this day and age but humility can be a virtue.

YourHighnessness wrote:

Rambling online does not equal a review.

Sorry but the guy is right ! This game is too easy. I just played it with my wife twice now and both times won. I don't want to play it again since we beat the game 2 out of 2 and it was quite obvious to us what steps we had to take each turn. It's just a mathematical exercise which is easily solved. The game has a very interesting mechanic and theme but after two plays I've seen it and beaten it.

Two adults with a decent rational mindset can play this game once or twice maximum. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more in reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colossos wrote:

Sorry but the guy is right ! This game is too easy. I just played it with my wife twice now and both times won. I don't want to play it again since we beat the game 2 out of 2 and it was quite obvious to us what steps we had to take each turn. It's just a mathematical exercise which is easily solved. The game has a very interesting mechanic and theme but after two plays I've seen it and beaten it.

Two adults with a decent rational mindset can play this game once or twice maximum. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more in reviews.

Poppycock! It's a random card draw game, with variable difficulty levels. Try using different workers, add 6 epidemics and hiding the cards from each other. Your statement reflects more about your attitude than it does about the game. It's not highly strategic but it can definitely be played and be entertaining more than 2 times, even for "two adults with a decent rational mindset".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colossos wrote:

2 games is such a small data set that it would be closer to a data point. No other details are given (Roles, number of epidemics, initial setup, etc.) so it's impossible to judge how you performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_Hansen wrote:
colossos wrote:

2 games is such a small data set that it would be closer to a data point. No other details are given (Roles, number of epidemics, initial setup, etc.) so it's impossible to judge how you performed.

my wife and I won twice in row playing 2 player base game 4 epidemics. then with a bad combo of roles, we lost 1 then tried a 4 player, open hand 4 epidemic and lost, then won 2 more 2 player games. winning 2 in a row says nothing about the game being "too easy" and instead comes across like someone attempting to brag about how smart they are because they "beat" such a popular game that others claim is challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.