Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

How do I use the upper part of the following Mindthief card (and the other Augments he/she can use)...?

I believe when using the card the Mindthief gets a counter-attack of 2 against melee-based attackers.

Furthermore, the Mindthief can attack a enemy at melee-range for 1 and gets a experience point when activating the card?

When playing another Augment, the old Augment gets discarded.

EDIT: Bonus question: does the Mindthief get the experience point every time he/she plays the Augment or only if the melee attack 1 hits an enemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A counter attack is called retaliate. Sort of.

The wording on this card isn't great, it should be worded like the other MIndthief cards, it is whenever you perform a melee attack, you get +2.
Therefore, the card itself gives you attack 3 in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
I think the augment is "when you do a melee attack you have +2"

then you can make a melee attack 1+2 and you have 1 shield

then no XP ... why XP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you use augments you do not discard them as normal, instead they remain in play (i.e they continue to give a bonus to future turns) at the side of your board.

All the augments I've seen discard when a new aug is played, so you only have 1 in play at a time.

The one shown adds +2 to all future melee (sword icon) attacks. So when you play the top half of that card you would place it to the side of you board, and attack an enemy adjacent to you for 3 (attack 1 + 2 aug) and get an experience point. Until you play a new augment every melee attack you play will gain a +2 bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
I think the augment is "when you do a melee attack you have +2"

then you can make a melee attack 1+2 and you have 1 shield

then no XP ... why XP?

That is the symbol for xp, the shield icon is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
the XP symbol is something like a star (page 27 of the rules)

ok I see that in the PDF with ability cards there is a star, but in the picture in the first post there is something like the shield symbol

The XP is just for the attack and not for each time you use the augmentation bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sua
msg tools
mbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:

ok I see that in the PDF with ability cards there is a star, but in the picture in the first post there is something like the shield symbol

The XP is just for the attack and not for each time you use the augmentation bonus

Hey Antonio, The Symbol shown on the card that looks like a shield is the symbol for gaining XP. It's not a shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
killblue2 wrote:
Antonio8080 wrote:

Hey Antonio, The Symbol shown on the card that looks like a shield is the symbol for gaining XP. It's not a shield.

looking at the manual "Gloomhaven Rules - Final - LowRes.pdf" that I think is the final version the XP symbol is a star and also in the pdf version of the ability card the one posted in this thread is now different (with a star instead of that strange shield)

Unless I am looking in a wrong manual (maybe yes but give me the newest one) we are looking at a old version of that card

by the way I think the correct answer is still

the bonus is +2 to every melee attack the character play unless you play another augmentation
this bonus affect also the melee 1 attack on the card itself
if you make that attack you gain 1 XP (just for that one and not for melee attack in the next rounds)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stk mx
United States
Elburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Antonio. My understanding is the card action for the round the card is played is: A Melee Attack of 1 and earn an experience point. In addition this attack is augmented by +2. This card is not discarded as normal; however remains face up along side the Mind Thief's board as a reminder that all future melee attack's are augmented by +2. This card is persistent, meaning that the card remains face up providing this augment until another card with an augment replaces. At that time the previous augment card is now discarded to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
For clarity's sake, that card has the original XP symbol, which has since been changed to a star design because people were confusing it with the Shield symbol.

So yes, the top half of the card means you get an Augment (that is, a static bonus) of +2 for melee attacks. You then make a melee attack of 3 (base 1, +2 for the augmentation), +/- any other modifiers then active. You get 1XP, and you keep the card in front of you to represent the continuous +2 bonus for all future melee attacks (which is represented by the icon of the card with a red arrow and black lemniscate). When you play another Augment, you put this in your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex has got it exactly right. Sorry for the confusion, but you were using a very old version of the card. You can find updated cards for the starting classes here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8ppELln5Z0rLXdWYnh3...

In regards to the experience, the general rule is that if you can do some part of the action, you gain experience for it, so just by playing the augment, even if you were unable to attack because no monsters are in range, you still get the experience.

For reference, this is what the card looks like now:

And Paul is also right that the card has a typo and the augment should have the same syntax as other augments. Namely, "on your melee attacks." I know in the files I just linked to, all the augments say "on melee attack," but they have since been changed, except The Mind's Weakness for some reason.

Edit: Just in case it's unclear, don't go into the second folder in the Google drive link unless you want to spoil yourself on the advanced classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.