Carson City: Big Box» Forums » General

Subject: What a huge disappointment, no player aids.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello,

Yesterday I sat out to play my big box for the first time with 5 players, 3 new to the game.
I had the original Carson City and played it quite a few times.

After explaining all the rules, besides how the buildings work and what they do, I noticed that the Big Box edition does not have a players aid that explains all the buildings, road placement and house placement like the original did. (And the CCBB has much more buildings).

This made the game unplayable and is a huge letdown for a game that costs 100$!

The prerequisites for every building are explained in the rulebook of course, but it is not laid down in a comfortable manner and can be hard even for someone who has played the game a few times to consult this during the game.

For new player,it is almost impossible to play without having to ask how each building works all the time, and for this reason only we had to put down the game and not play it.

What the hell did they think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are player aids in my Kickstarter version of the big box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has players' aids, but then mine is the Kickstarter version so maybe the retail doesn't have them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Making the player aids KS exclusive?
Maybe next time they can also make the dice and exclusive thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your box is just missing them. I'm pretty sure they're standard in the big box. Have you researched to find out?

My bad - they were a KS exclusive. Lame. There are some options in the file section at least

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1511663/player-aids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Yeah, very lame.

The files section only has 1 player aid file and it does not include all the buildings.

I just can't imagine what went through their heads to not include the player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I supported Kickstarter and received my player aids. If they are a KS exclusive, I'm okay with that. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Dr Brian wrote:
I'm glad I supported Kickstarter and received my player aids. If they are a KS exclusive, I'm okay with that. thumbsup

As it seems you are a game designer. If you think it's OK for a company to make a basic game component, which was previously included in the regular edition of the game, a kickstarter exclusive, I think your judgment is quite off.

You would think that a designer's true wish was for people who bought the game to be able to enjoy it fully and not make the game a pain /chore to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:

I'm a KS supporter who finds this decision poorly thought out, and can't even imagine why someone would both be okay with the decision and feel the need to post in this thread how happy they are they have something others don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance someone could scan the player aide and post it to the files section? I'd love to add a printed version to my non-KS cooy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.uplay.it/en/boardgame-Carson-City--New-Player-Ai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
dstair2002 wrote:

Thanks, but 7.5 euros (including shipping) for a player's aid for a game that costs 100$. Yeah right.

If someone is willing to scan and send it to players in need that would be a great gesture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is the kind of crap that gives Kickstarter a bad name and just generates ill feeling. Campaign exclusives, if you must include them, should be completely optional extras, not key game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quined Games
Netherlands
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Send me a message on preorder.masterprint@gmail.com, I might have a solution for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
I'm glad I supported Kickstarter and received my player aids. If they are a KS exclusive, I'm okay with that. :thumbsup:

As it seems you are a game designer. If you think it's OK for a company to make a basic game component, which was previously included in the regular edition of the game, a kickstarter exclusive, I think your judgment is quite off.

You would think that a designer's true wish was for people who bought the game to be able to enjoy it fully and not make the game a pain /chore to play.

It was all out there for everyone to be a KS supporter. There were no "hidden" items. People that support KS are taking the RISK ... you are not. If they take the financial risk that you were not willing to take, they should get the reward.

The game publisher did nothing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

It was all out there for everyone to be a KS supporter. There were no "hidden" items. People that support KS are taking the RISK ... you are not. If they take the financial risk that you were not willing to take, they should get the reward.

In addition to the "got mine, fuck you" mentality you've expressed, if you think a kickstarter of an already well establish, critically acclaimed game with a modest goal of 40k euros was a risk, then you might be a little out of touch.

Of course the publisher did nothing wrong, but it's still shitty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

In addition to the "got mine, fuck you" mentality you've expressed, if you think a kickstarter of an already well establish, critically acclaimed game with a modest goal of 40k euros was a risk, then you might be a little out of touch.

Yeah. I wasn't at all aware of the Kickstarter when it happened. One significant issue with KS is the limited timeframe of fund collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
I'm glad I supported Kickstarter and received my player aids. If they are a KS exclusive, I'm okay with that. :thumbsup:

LOL. Look, if I was a Communist like you are expressing, I would agree with your position. But I'm not a Communist, so I'm okay with "got mine,FU." It took no work to know Carson City was on KS (they had a banner on BGG for months), so I clicked on it, I invested, and I was rewarded for taking the risk.

I also understand that you have sour grapes and are disappointed in your poor decision not to support the project, but if you don't like how KS is run, then my recommendation is for YOU to establish a new company, and make it happen the way you want. Show us all your better way to do it, instead of just sitting behind your keyboard and complaining and typing trash. In the end, it shows you're a bit out of touch with how business investing and venture capital / crowd source funding works.

Quined Games has gone a long way to support people that have complained after publication, going the extra mile (or 1.6 kilometers) getting people like you that are whining, some of the extra components off-line, so it is unfair that you disparage these fine people that put effort and risk into what in the end, is just a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

LOL. Look, if I was a Communist like you are expressing, I would agree with your position. But I'm not a Communist, so I'm okay with "got mine,FU." It took no work to know Carson City was on KS (they had a banner on BGG for months), so I clicked on it, I invested, and I was rewarded for taking the risk.

I also understand that you have sour grapes and are disappointed in your poor decision not to support the project, but if you don't like how KS is run, then my recommendation is for YOU to establish a new company, and make it happen the way you want. Show us all your better way to do it, instead of just sitting behind your keyboard and complaining and typing trash. In the end, it shows you're a bit out of touch with how business investing and venture capital / crowd source funding works.

Quined Games has gone a long way to support people that have complained after publication, going the extra mile (or 1.6 kilometers) getting people like you that are whining, some of the extra components off-line, so it is unfair that you disparage these fine people that put effort and risk into what in the end, is just a game.

I thought "Strange, someone thumbed that post". Who would that be? Of course, the author of the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a suggestion: I'd happily pay a reasonable price for a print & play version of the game including components like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Dr Brian wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

Brian, your reasoning is a bit twisted, sorry to say.

What about people who only heard of Carson City after the campaign ended. People who bought the normal Big Box that costs 100$ whereas the KS edition was priced at 75 euros.

And what about the fact that the player aids were never stated to be KS exclusives?

P.S. I'll just add that Paul from Quined Games was nice enough to offer player aids for me (and I guess other people) who bought the standard box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the complaint about KS exclusives if they change gameplay but I'm a little less sympathetic when it comes to extras. The game can be played without the Player aids and with the round by round roll out it is easy to explain what the new buildings do as they are drawn. There are many games without player aids that I create or find aids for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
I can understand the complaint about KS exclusives if they change gameplay but I'm a little less sympathetic when it comes to extras. The game can be played without the Player aids and with the round by round roll out it is easy to explain what the new buildings do as they are drawn. There are many games without player aids that I create or find aids for.

I agree although I find it strange that the player aid is available in the base game. In a big box I would assume the same components as in the base game (yes it may not be listed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
jhaimowitz wrote:

I don't agree. Yes the game can be played, but it is far from optimal. Explaining 5 buildings to new players is not easy, the iconography is hard to grasp for first timers and using the player aid is much much easier.
Plus, players can consult the aid throughout the round without having to ask or check up close the icons on the building, which really ruins the fun and hinders the quality of the game, since when a players asks about a certain building, you can read his intention and anticipate a move.
Plus, it is a game component that was available since the first itineration of the game. Sure, KS exclusives is ok (sometimes), but removing a component in order to make it exclusive is not right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.