Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This card seems nearly worthless as an event. The stipulations are so high, it seems to never take effect. The occasion when it scores is only when:

1. It is played for the event.
2. The US controls Taiwan.
3. The US has not played the China Card after FR is in effect.

But the very act of trying to score the Asia Scoring card will nearly always involve using the China Card.

The card text even talks about FR scoring during final scoring. That seems impossible.

All of the above tells me, as USA, always use FR for ops. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right that US almost never should play Formosan as event. The same is true for many cards, especially for US - NATO and US/Japan are the first to come to mind, or Flower Power for USSR. You are wrong if you think something is wrong with it.
Theory wrote:
not every event can, or should, be Red Scare/Purge or Grain Sales to Soviets

(I would, however, take Taiwan as US if Formosan is in effect and Korean War is in deck, if I'll have OPs for it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with your point. However, in the examples you use, i.e., Japan, NATO, Flower, when played for the event, by either side, there is at least some payoff/benefit. My point about Formosan is it almost never seems to have a payoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has paid off for me twice before. Generally as a rule the Soviets never play the China Card in the first turn and sometimes the second turn. I never play Formosan Resolution for the event as the US but if the Soviets have it the event kicks off and I control Taiwan. The Asia Scoring card came up later in the game and I was pleasantly surprised to get some extra points until realized that I got them from the Formosan Resolution.

Controlling Taiwan also helps with the Korean War event and country count in general. But FR as an event itself seems improbable to score in a final scoring situation.

So twice in all my plays does agree with your theory of it being rather useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth pointing out that there are normally 6 Battleground Countries in Asia. I've noticed that they tend to get split pretty evenly between the two powers, depending on how the Iran Coup and Korean War go. Having a 7th to break the tie in favor of the US for Domination can be worth a not-insubstantial number of VP's, especially since the US has an easier time racking up a good country count in Asia.

Is it enough to make the event worth playing? Not usually as the US, but a lot of the game is about exploiting opportunities. The better you are at seeing them, the better your games will go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right, the value of taking Formosa to diminish the odds of Korean War paying off for the Soviet, is true. But taking it to score FR seems to be a waste.

BTW, regarding KW, controlling Korea itself does not help diminish odds of KW, whereas controlling Israel diminishes the odds of Arab-Israeli war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.