$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 103.83

6,518 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Any reason this can't be played 5 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Bobson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got or played the game but am a big fan of Rosenberg games. Disappointed that this is only a max of 4 players. Player mats aside, is there a reason that 5p wouldn't work? It feels like there's plenty of action spaces to hold that players, but would be interested to know people's opinions. Can't justify a £90 expense when we're 5p 95% of the time.

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Mangoose wrote:
Haven't got or played the game but am a big fan of Rosenberg games. Disappointed that this is only a max of 4 players. Player mats aside, is there a reason that 5p wouldn't work? It feels like there's plenty of action spaces to hold that players, but would be interested to know people's opinions. Can't justify a £90 expense when we're 5p 95% of the time.

Thanks


Only 4 or so years of development and number of components.

But serously, with five the current action board would leave last player with rather limited options - many of the action spaces are situaionally useful, and would most likely lead to fifth player being corralled into actions that aren't of use to them.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wondered whether it would play 8 With two sets with a rule that wouldn't allow a player to play an identical space on any given turn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Platonick wrote:
I actually wondered whether it would play 8 With two sets with a rule that wouldn't allow a player to play an identical space on any given turn


It could probably work, but why not just play two separate games, then?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any reason this can't be played 5 player?
Downtime.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limited number of islands
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
flag msg tools
Hallo, my name is Gernot. I am testplayer (more than 100 games), wrote the almanc and still create the first expansion upon consultation with Uwe and Feuerland/Frank (and even the fans of the game as good as possible ;-).

Maybe there will come later an expansion-set for five players. We know that it is possible. If the players know the game quite good, the downtime than would be acceptable.

In the first expansion new islands are planned (their balancing is in progress), so this would be also not a problem. Meanwhile, i think, it is possible to copy for example bear island and use it (double) as an extra-island which is gettable at the beginning. Please try it out

The "vikingplacement"-board will be developped a bit (still in work) and frontside and backside will be useable in different ways, because it's planned to be cut in 4 or 5 parts. The idea is to give new pieces and some little fine new ideas a way to come into the game and also give a stronger challenge in a game for 1-3 players by reducing the number of fields a bit, while offering a new column/slot for the last viking to place. This will be also helpful for using it in a higher number of players. Meanwhile, i think, it is helpful to use an extra copy-stripe for all slots to copy, so that two columns can be copied two times! You should try to find out, if this will be helpful enough. A feedback would be great :-)

Extra-houses can also be simply copied. Maybe in a second expansion there will come some new ideas with new houses (which I still created and tested some one year ago until now).

There are much more ideas in the pipeline, but only the best ones will be published sooner or later after intensive testing-rounds ;-)
23 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
Hallo, my name is Gernot. I am testplayer (more than 100 games), wrote the almanc and still create the first expansion upon consultation with Uwe and Feuerland/Frank (and even the fans of the game as good as possible ;-).

Maybe there will come later an expansion-set for five players. We know that it is possible. If the players know the game quite good, the downtime than would be acceptable.

In the first expansion new islands are planned (their balancing is in progress), so this would be also not a problem. Meanwhile, i think, it is possible to copy for example bear island and use it (double) as an extra-island which is gettable at the beginning. Please try it out

The "vikingplacement"-board will be developped a bit (still in work) and frontside and backside will be useable in different ways, because it's planned to be cut in 4 or 5 parts. The idea is to give new pieces and some little fine new ideas a way to come into the game and also give a stronger challenge in a game for 1-3 players by reducing the number of fields a bit, while offering a new column/slot for the last viking to place. This will be also helpful for using it in a higher number of players. Meanwhile, i think, it is helpful to use an extra copy-stripe for all slots to copy, so that two columns can be copied two times! You should try to find out, if this will be helpful enough. A feedback would be great :-)

Extra-houses can also be simply copied. Maybe in a second expansion there will come some new ideas with new houses (which I still created and tested some one year ago until now).

There are much more ideas in the pipeline, but only the best ones will be published sooner or later after intensive testing-rounds ;-)

Wait. What?? surprise
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting news, thanks! I'm excited about a possible expansion. More Odin sounds great to me. My group had been speculating about the possibility of an expansion with more strangely-shaped special tiles and additional islands. The Isle of Man might be a nice one to add.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An expansion might be interesting, but I hope a lot of copies get reprinted so the original version gets played more too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
Hallo, my name is Gernot. I am testplayer (more than 100 games), wrote the almanc and still create the first expansion upon consultation with Uwe and Feuerland/Frank (and even the fans of the game as good as possible ;-).

Maybe there will come later an expansion-set for five players. We know that it is possible. If the players know the game quite good, the downtime than would be acceptable.

In the first expansion new islands are planned (their balancing is in progress), so this would be also not a problem. Meanwhile, i think, it is possible to copy for example bear island and use it (double) as an extra-island which is gettable at the beginning. Please try it out

The "vikingplacement"-board will be developped a bit (still in work) and frontside and backside will be useable in different ways, because it's planned to be cut in 4 or 5 parts. The idea is to give new pieces and some little fine new ideas a way to come into the game and also give a stronger challenge in a game for 1-3 players by reducing the number of fields a bit, while offering a new column/slot for the last viking to place. This will be also helpful for using it in a higher number of players. Meanwhile, i think, it is helpful to use an extra copy-stripe for all slots to copy, so that two columns can be copied two times! You should try to find out, if this will be helpful enough. A feedback would be great :-)

Extra-houses can also be simply copied. Maybe in a second expansion there will come some new ideas with new houses (which I still created and tested some one year ago until now).

There are much more ideas in the pipeline, but only the best ones will be published sooner or later after intensive testing-rounds ;-)


An expansion? Hmmm well now I'm sure there are many that are waiting to have this available. I was fortunate enough to get one from Miniature Market when it was briefly available. It's on it's way but won't get it till after thanksgiving here in the states.

I'm still surprised there is talk or ideas of an expansion. Ewe Rosenberg doesn't do many expansion for his games other than Agricola. (Which I personally don't care for)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
Hallo, my name is Gernot. I am testplayer (more than 100 games), wrote the almanc and still create the first expansion upon consultation with Uwe and Feuerland/Frank (and even the fans of the game as good as possible ;-).

Maybe there will come later an expansion-set for five players. We know that it is possible. If the players know the game quite good, the downtime than would be acceptable.

In the first expansion new islands are planned (their balancing is in progress), so this would be also not a problem. Meanwhile, i think, it is possible to copy for example bear island and use it (double) as an extra-island which is gettable at the beginning. Please try it out

The "vikingplacement"-board will be developped a bit (still in work) and frontside and backside will be useable in different ways, because it's planned to be cut in 4 or 5 parts. The idea is to give new pieces and some little fine new ideas a way to come into the game and also give a stronger challenge in a game for 1-3 players by reducing the number of fields a bit, while offering a new column/slot for the last viking to place. This will be also helpful for using it in a higher number of players. Meanwhile, i think, it is helpful to use an extra copy-stripe for all slots to copy, so that two columns can be copied two times! You should try to find out, if this will be helpful enough. A feedback would be great :-)

Extra-houses can also be simply copied. Maybe in a second expansion there will come some new ideas with new houses (which I still created and tested some one year ago until now).

There are much more ideas in the pipeline, but only the best ones will be published sooner or later after intensive testing-rounds ;-)


Expansion you say!? Well that's exciting, can't wait, no matter how long it takes ;P New Islands & Variable Houses would be super interesting in my opinion

--

Asides from that, for anyone wanting to try 5-Player - You could try running a Coal-Baron style rule, where you can use taken action spaces but they cost 1 more viking than the previous number on the space. (E.g. If someone's already taken Plundering, you could send 5 Vikings there to do it also). That would open things up while still making decisions tough of whether to pursue the more expensive action or go for something cheaper.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Van Assen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Instead of increasing the price in Vikings, consider increasing the price in silver (e.g., 1 coin extra for 1st and 2nd column, 2 coins extra for 3rd and 4th column).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, it is planned to give for example new islands like Lofoten (settled around 660), Orkneys (settled early in 8th century), Isle of man (settled early in 8th century),... and also some early settled/founded places like Dublin, Wexford and Waterf(j)ord in ireland. It is true that the strategical depth of the basic game is high, but it still can be made higher and more various with plenty new ideas that still exist for a year (remeber that the publishing process to the "Essen" fairy in 2015 was stopped only because of an illness, so things are now longer forward planned).
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
flag msg tools
GAFBlizzard wrote:
An expansion might be interesting, but I hope a lot of copies get reprinted so the original version gets played more too.


A reprint is in work and well be ready soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
flag msg tools
assen wrote:
Instead of increasing the price in Vikings, consider increasing the price in silver (e.g., 1 coin extra for 1st and 2nd column, 2 coins extra for 3rd and 4th column).


This could be part of a totally new game, i think, but not for Odin, because it would kill an elementary balanced system of "vikingplacement". In Odin you could not make higher the number of acitons (like in Agricola for example by extra-birth). Its part of the game, to find out, how you can increase them a little bit, even indirect by cards. Using coins would encrease the possible number of actions to much and kill all other functions of "hacksilver" (by the way: Hacksilber was not a currency like Dollar or Euro. Only the scaled weight of the silver was interesting for a trade. One of many interesting informations that could be read in the almanach.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.