Popular Tags: [View All]
André
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro

Runebound 3rd edition is a very interesting game. When I found out about it I was captivated by the fantasy theme and started to look into it, then I bought it.

Components

There is quite a lot in this box and there are several stencils to push the chits and tokens out of. The cards have vibrant art and are good quality. The minis are absolutely amazing, the amount of detail is great for minis that are smaller than the Imperial Assault ones. While playing Runbound there are occasions when two miniatures are required to be on the same space but you can’t as the hexes are too small. My dad was expecting the board to be big and grand, with nice big hexes, I mean it is an adventure game! Another thing I don’t like would be the dice. They give you stickers to put on the dice! Come on FFG don’t copy GMT’s C&C:Ancients!angry I have small hands and I struggled to get them on so I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone with larger hands. There is no alternative to the dice and game board so I’ll just have to make do. This is a huge let down from Fantasy Flight. Other than that, the components are good quality and very nice.

Artwork

Once again its Fantasy Flight and my expectation was high and they have managed to pull it off. The art looks amazing and the character sheets are done really well. Everything is laid out nicely and is easy to understand. This makes Runebound fairly accessible to new players but I would still make sure you have someone who has played it before, just to keep you straight. While playing with my parents they started to find it hard to tell apart plains and forest. This became a bit of a problem when they had to roll dice as they didn't know what matched up with what. compared to the older versions of Runebound I would say the colours are slightly less vibrant but the board does have better artwork. I think they’v done a great job on the artwork.

Mechanics

The mechanics that are used in Runebound are very good for these kinds of games where you have to move across the board and try and get things. There is a lot you can do in in this game but one of my favourite things would have to be the uniqueness of the battle system. You get double sided tokens that you flip to see what side they land on and your opponent does the same. you then see who has the most gold symbols, that player has the initiative i.e. he goes first. There are different symbols that mean different things: block, attack, surge, flip a token; additionally, in the expansions, tactics and charge. Anyway, you keep dealing damage until one of you dies. This makes Runbound very different from other games with the same kind of ‘move and get things’ mechanic. Trust me, it beats rolling dice all the time and you can get more battle tokens by getting equipment. I also like the moving system In Runebound. While moving you have a choice of rolling dice equal to your speed or you you can move to an adjacent space. To do the first option you roll the dice and match up the dice with the terrain. This is a very simple mechanic and easy to learn. The mechanics are very good and fits well with the theme. I have no other games like it.

Final Thoughts

I have really enjoyed playing Runebound 3rd and I am pleased that I bought it. If you’re planning on buying all four expansions, that are out at the moment, you might have some trouble fitting them into the base box. I have two expansions and only just made them fit! I would have kept them in there expansion boxes if they weren't made out of flimsy card. Don’t let this put you off buying the expansions though because they are very good, its just something to be weary of. I was not impressed with dice in Runbound but otherwise the components are really good. There is two scenarios in the base game. I have played them both several times; I’m not sure how many more times I can play them before I get bored. I have bought the caught in a web expansion so I have a bit more choice. This is a great game and definitely one to get if you’re a fantasy adventure fan.

BY CIAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
de bois wrote:
Intro

you might have some trouble fitting them into the base box. I have two expansions and only just made them fit!

Hi,
I have all four expansions - all cards sleeved - in base box and there is still some space for another expansions. no problem with the box space so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this with the insert still in the box?
Cian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
de bois wrote:
Was this with the insert still in the box?
Cian

No, I have removed the insert. Now I understand your space issues, with the insert I believe there would be a little space for all the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
insert flipped upside down so you have 2 channels instead of one
works fine i even have a bulky token box in there that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Runebound 3rd edition a half-dozen times (twice with expansions), I'm ready to switch back to 2nd edition with common houserules.*

I like the 3rd edition trophies, skills, and faster movement (i.e., more player actions per turn), but other changes rub me the wrong way.

- Goods cards. Ugh, I hate these. I feel like my early actions are scripted, since I'll always grab goods asap given how scarce money can be. Worse, getting them and cashing them in isn't any fun. It's a mindless pick-up-and-deliver that wastes multiple actions. Frankly, I'd prefer to eliminate goods entirely and just start everyone with 3-4 extra gold. Even with goods in play, we use a variant where players start with 2 extra gold anyway - just to make things less stark and more interesting.

- Token combat. I don't mind the token system itself. It's kinda fun. What I mind is how swingy the token combat can be. There's nothing more frustrating than facing the villain in the endgame showdown, only to cast poorly while the villain gets a hot cast. A hero can be eliminated in a single combat round (or close to it) under these circumstances, which makes the rest of the game feel like a waste of time.

- The time limit. I don't like it. If you fail an early combat, you get way behind. And if the right weapons/armor/etc. don't come up - the ones that combo with your character's powers to deliver maximum damage - forget about it. This usually means that at least one player ends up having to face the villain with insufficient equipment without a chance of winning. Also, under the time limit, late-game quests are pretty pointless.

- I miss allies. Those were a really nice touch that made combat in the 2nd edition interesting.

- The zombie scenario for the base game scales horribly with fewer players. This can be houseruled (# of spawned zombies per event = # of players + 1), but the obvious lack of playtesting for all player counts is annoying.

One pro for the 3rd edition, though: It handles three players OK, mostly due to the time limit. However, I'd still prefer to limit either edition to two players only.

Anyway, if you've never played 2nd edition, these criticisms may not mean much to you. Runebound 3rd edition is fine, but I do think that it needs houserules to be more fun. Though, to be fair, so did the 2nd edition.

*Common 2nd edition houserules: faster leveling (fewer xp required per upgrade), less harmful player death (player loses all gold or most expensive item, whichever is greater), and better shopping selection (shopping player chooses whether to add an ally or non-ally to the city, rather than a random selection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review! My copy arrives tomorrow, can't wait for it to hit the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice enthusiastic review. As you can see from the comments, bgg-ers have often played every version of a game so it's mighty useful for reviews to cross reference and compare earlier editions, and even better other games that might offer similar experiences to help gamers choose the best one. I see you have 200+ games in the collection and all expansion for RB 3rd, but many gamers read reviews to help maybe choose a handful of games each year/month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.