Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Preliminary thoughts after first play.

Interdependent to the point of game instability and near total lack of individual position and control. Very opportunistic play with lots of incentive manipulation, emerging alliances, and just downright nasty play. Revenue can and will very likely fluctuate wildly, impacting your investment (action) capabilities.

The game is quite thematic and mechanically representational of the conflict. I particularly enjoy the narrative and play of the conspiracies. The the drive toward prestige back in London is well integrated into your actions and reflected across the various VPs (prizes, industry leaders, number of enterprises).

I really like how balanced the game is beteeen its endings and methods of generating victory points. Underselling for instance robs revenue but can create industry leaders which give VPs. Getting out of the turn early and bidding high for prizes is a high risk/reward VP crap shoot and leaves you vulnerable to the actions of others including a potential revolution push.

In closing I feel nearly every decision matters, has a nice butterfly effect across the current and future game state, and are often opaque in their ramifications. So as you may be able to tell I quite like it. Looking forward to my next play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to get this to the table this weekend. I am definitely going to be careful who I get to play it though. I am glad I did a dummy game last night to make sure I had rules and procedures down. I found many places where you can just cut people off at the knees. This is not a game for those who can't take that level of player interaction.

I am curious how the final scores panned out for you though? That is the only part of the game I am a little iffy on in terms of the mechanism and such. Not in the way of how it works but rather how it plays and how people appreciate and/or don't appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Me 7pts: 2 industry leader VP + prizes
Will 7pts: 4 industry leader VP + prizes
David 1pt: prizes
Lee 4pts: 4 enterprises won via revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Lee and I really enjoyed it. Will was along for the ride but he's been out of practice and the learning curve was especially steep for him. David did not enjoy it; he prefers engine builders and didn't care for the game's volatile nature. Also he has a pet peeve for games that reward passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
where you can just cut people off at the knees

Can you explain how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Gerit wrote:
Quote:
where you can just cut people off at the knees

Can you explain how?

I'll give one example. Taking an underselling action on an opponent before they have taken any investments can be harsh. This happened to me near the end of turn three. I was about to have 3 investment actions and an underselling dropped me to one. It was a great move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Interesting...devil

My copy of the game has to cross the ocean so I must be patient just a little bit longer, but I look forward to play AIT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any comment on game weight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure has generated a scary number of rules question threads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
blockhead wrote:
It sure has generated a scary number of rules question threads

I believe most of that is a result of the rather sparse rules set. You have to lay the map out and go through the example of play in addition to reading the rules. I normally don't need to do this but this time it was necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.