Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best hero team / any must picks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Let me preface this by saying I think the game seems very balanced. I understand that different hero compositions are great depending on what your objectives for a given mission are.

That being said, does anyone has a typical must pick hero? I keep hearing people say that they like April the best. I have been playing as the villain a lot, so I was going to try playing the heroes now. Any tips on must pick heroes? Or does anyone have rankings on their preferred hero picks from best to worst, or favorite to least favorite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I consider April's Stealth ability to be overpowered. It's the main reason people talk about April so much. She always gets to have the card, and with her extra chi on dice she essentially gets to use it for free. I think it needs to be nerfed by disallowing her to attack and use stealth on the same turn. Barring that, there's little reason not to use her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buendia

Texas
msg tools
new user
April is indeed a pain to deal with...I'm playing through as villain first before I play heroes and with her on the team the difficulty is definitely hard. With splinter added it's extremely difficult. I've managed to get through book 1 2 wins/2 loss and book 2 2 wins/2 loss and I have yet to kill April or even bring her down 2 hp. With her 1/3 chance of rolling chi on her dice, it's damn near impossible for her to be focus drained.
I do wonder if she is being played correctly; is she able to use stealth suit, gravity gauntlet AND 1 other ability all on the same turn? Or is she limited to either stealth suit or gravity gauntlet and 1 ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Valsheru wrote:
I do wonder if she is being played correctly; is she able to use stealth suit, gravity gauntlet AND 1 other ability all on the same turn? Or is she limited to either stealth suit or gravity gauntlet and 1 ability?

From her character sheet:

Quote:
April receives the Stealth Suit and Gravity Gauntlet special moves in addition to her other special moves. These moves do not count against her limit of 1 special move per turn when used.

To me the Stealth Suit is the biggest issue by far. It makes her extremely difficult to hit, she can attack while using it, it can be used virtually every turn, and it has a relatively low cost. If there were only the Gravity Gauntlet, then she would be on par with most other heroes. That's why I advocate nerfing the Stealth Suit so that she can't attack and use it on the same turn. And it isn't even difficult to justify that thematically. I mean, even a Klingon Bird of Prey can't fire when cloaked (well, there was that one...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Valsheru wrote:
April is indeed a pain to deal with...I'm playing through as villain first before I play heroes and with her on the team the difficulty is definitely hard. With splinter added it's extremely difficult. I've managed to get through book 1 2 wins/2 loss and book 2 2 wins/2 loss and I have yet to kill April or even bring her down 2 hp.

While April is tough, I'd point out that you seem to be going 50/50 on hero/villain wins. I would argue that the game is going fine if each side is winning about half the time.

Getting obsessed with downing a specific hero is usually not as good a play as winning the scenario, which you seem to be doing fine at.

April being at full health when the heroes lose the scenario isn't that bad a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Matthew, just don't waste your resources on going after April. Focus on another hero who is easier to wound and easier to keep wounded. Sure it's a nice bragging point if you can take her down, but it isn't necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep an eye on her, though, nonetheless, just in case. If she develops into a problem, I'll address it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
April, Donatello, Raphael, Splinter

This combo is really tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Delthos wrote:
I agree with Matthew, just don't waste your resources on going after April. Focus on another hero who is easier to wound and easier to keep wounded. Sure it's a nice bragging point if you can take her down, but it isn't necessary.

That isn't really the point, though. Playing with an overly powered character is less fun. The villain wants to be able to choose from 4 characters to attack, not 3. And if a character is truly that powerful, then they will appear in every game, and that limits variety. Ideally each character should be roughly equal in terms of their effect on the game (well, except someone like Shredder).

Thank you Kevin for keeping open-minded about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.