$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 64.45

4,556 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 3D Printing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox Reinard
msg tools
How long does it take roughly to print one figure? I'm looking to spruce up my Reanimate, Wolf, Summoned Stones, etc by making 3D models for them. Basically any token that is treated as a figure at all times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
How long does it take roughly to print one figure? I'm looking to spruce up my Reanimate, Wolf, Summoned Stones, etc by making 3D models for them. Basically any token that is treated as a figure at all times.


Someone may have done this already. I'm sure I've seen a thread for it. Anyways, I'd search for the files on a maker sight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
My interest is knowing how long it takes because the 3D Printer service in my area charges by time. I can locate models to approximate what I need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would depend on how fast their machine goes. There is not a uniform speed for machines. I'm pretty sure, even within one machine you can set it to go faster or slower.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
That's a cool project, the summoned stone especially had nothing even remotely like a good mini for it until someone started printing and selling them recently:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/PQPLHMR6X/summoned-stone-to...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Foley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bucho22 wrote:
That's a cool project, the summoned stone especially had nothing even remotely like a good mini for it until someone started printing and selling them recently:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/PQPLHMR6X/summoned-stone-to...


I use warmachine shifting stones for my geomancer. Hadn't seen them mentioned on the site before but they're good models, and come in a 3 pack:

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/unit...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I think for summoned stones I can probably make use of my many chess pieces, finding three suitable Rooks, or failing that, pawns. The wolf and the reanimate would probably not be too hard to find a 3D model for.

Does anyone have experience with 3D printers? I know they aren't all the same. I just want a sample so I have a rough idea of what to expect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
For example, I have a Harry Potter "Wizards Chess" set. Most of the pieces are massively tall, but the pawns are all hunched over. They're a bit wide but not sufficiently so that they spill into other spaces more than is acceptable.

Other than Monopoly, any board games with a dog as a piece that you can name?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hammond
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
foxreinard wrote:
For example, I have a Harry Potter "Wizards Chess" set. Most of the pieces are massively tall, but the pawns are all hunched over. They're a bit wide but not sufficiently so that they spill into other spaces more than is acceptable.

Other than Monopoly, any board games with a dog as a piece that you can name?


There are good size dogs in the Zombicide companion dogs and Zombicide zombie dogs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
foxreinard wrote:
I think for summoned stones I can probably make use of my many chess pieces, finding three suitable Rooks, or failing that, pawns. The wolf and the reanimate would probably not be too hard to find a 3D model for.


If that's all you're looking to do it's super easy to get a wolf and a skeleton mini, you don't even need to bother printing the things, just go to a gaming store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
And that, friend, is why I was wondering about how long a mini typically takes. If 3D-print would be the cheaper option then I would want to use that. If not I can head to some form of gaming outlet and ask for such miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.