Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During my practice run through last night, the game seemed pretty opaque from the start. Any tips I can give new players that I introduce the game to in order to help them avoid any egregious starting errors, and build a competitive position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would recommend this tips by Philipp Klarmann. In my opinion they are really helpful:

Mastering the learning curve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say this after a few plays:
1. You need to be very aware of what is in your opponent's tableaus. You need to know what actions they are capable of and what empires the relate to.
2. You want to have empires in your tableau so you need to keep your eye out for ways to get them. the easiest and most direct is by getting a queen and having a coronation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you put an empire in your tableau, carefully watch for cards in the market which can target and affect that empire.

For example, if you obtain the Ottomans then Ottoman or East cards can affect that empire, as can card abilities (e.g., repress East). You don't want opponents having such cards.

Sell the cards for 2 money or better yet play them into your tableau - if you lose the empire (say through a peasant revolt or jihad), then you have a strike-back ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JKidder wrote:
2. You want to have empires in your tableau so you need to keep your eye out for ways to get them. the easiest and most direct is by getting a queen and having a coronation.

It seemed to me last night that it was pretty easy to get empires via conspiracy or peasant revolt. At the start of the game all the empires just have 1 defender, and there are a number of cards that give you a 2-unit conspiracy or a 1 unit + your concession revolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning they ARE easy to get. But then you have to nourish and shelter them, or the other players will pick them from your tableau like ripe fruits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
At the beginning they ARE easy to get. But then you have to nourish and shelter them, or the other players will pick them from your tableau like ripe fruits

That part seems true. I was just questioning the priority on Queens. They give easy access to empires at the beginning, sure, but so do lots of other cards it seems. And queens get less useful as the game goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RvdH
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why empires are important to some extent, I feel they are often overvalued by newer players. An empire by itself does not get you anything directly. So you have an empire, but then what? What are you going to use it for?

I think cards with prestige icons are the ones to watch out for.

After six games I've seen the following victory conditions met:
* 3x Renaissance
* 3x Holy Islam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Why empires are important to some extent, I feel they are often overvalued by newer players. An empire by itself does not get you anything directly. So you have an empire, but then what? What are you going to use it for?

Early Empires themselves aren't very important, but the ability to place concessions are. That gives you strong early economy along a trade route -- this is doubly so in the East, along the East Trade Route, as it is short, and can be more easily monopolized. Likewise, both trade routes start in the North-East, so claiming an early empire there lets you benefit from BOTH trade routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.