$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spotted A Feast for Odin IRL for list, $99. I have the urge to grab it cuz I know it's in short supply but...
It seems like multiplayer solitaire, lacking the tension of Agricola, the spacial tile placement seems unthematic, too wide open but...
Shiny!!!

So, what do you do when faced with this conundrum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
I usually just give into the temptation and buy it. Ho Hum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to chase stuff like this at just about any cost, but now I wait for it to come back at a lower price or in the form of another game with the same mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have this feeling at the Essen fair. I always tell me "if I don't buy this right now, I will never possess it". But I can handle these situations a little bit better every year..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just passed on a copy of Forbidden Stars at my FLGS for $75 (25% off retail). Still thinking I should have picked it up. A few weeks ago they also had a copy of both Chaos in the Old World with the Horned Rat expansion for 30% off retail and I passed. By the time I went back to grab them, they were gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dealt with the exact same problem but it was only 79.99 canadian. I'm not a huge Rosenberg(I think thats the spelling) fan but I love Patchwork and Euro's. I was literally watching the stock diminish on one of my go to online gaming stores and finally had to make a decision at 1 left in stock.

I chose to pass and just thought about the games I own that need some more play and I felt better about it. Plus I know I'm really waiting for some other games I know I actually want so I saved the money for those.

Edit: I feel I should add that I did the same thing with Terraforming Mars and have been regretting it ever since, @#$%!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great topic, especially given that next week begins the holiday season sales, starting with Thanksgiving and, of course, Black Friday.

When I really started getting into board games a couple years back, my collection exploded (well, to me at least). I'm over 100 titles now and I even have a few still in shrink wrap. Most of the titles I have, I'm quite happy with; others I regret the impulse buy.

To paraphrase my wife's sentiment: A game you buy on sale, but don't play, is NOT a deal. I have a few titles in my collection that prove I have not followed her wise advise. Come Black Friday and other sales this holiday season, I hope I DO follow her wise words.

If you don't see yourself (your gaming circle included) playing the game, don't bother buying it. Sure, you could MAYBE sell it for a profit later (really depends...we all know most titles sell for a loss once the WOW factor wears off), but in the mean time, it is money tied up, space on your shelf, and when you do sell it, it is time and effort spent.

If it's a title that will see the table, then by all means, grab it (guilt free).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a huge reason my "collection" has ballooned to the size it has. Restraint is something I've had to learn, not something I was born with.. ;(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it's a newer game and will more than likely have more coming out in the nearish future, I would wait. No reason to spend 2x-3x on a game if you can wait a couple months and get it then. Especially if you have a long line of unplayed game to keep you occupied.

If it's an old, OOP game that is not likely to be re-printed anytime soon if ever, then yes, by all means pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
It seems like multiplayer solitaire, lacking the tension of Agricola, the spacial tile placement seems unthematic, too wide open but...

I like it more than Agricola. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
doverboy wrote:
I just passed on a copy of Forbidden Stars at my FLGS for $75 (25% off retail). Still thinking I should have picked it up. A few weeks ago they also had a copy of both Chaos in the Old World with the Horned Rat expansion for 30% off retail and I passed. By the time I went back to grab them, they were gone.

I saw a similar deal and picked up Forbidden Stars as I have had my eye on it since it came outand i freaked out when I heard it will be OOP soon. Justifying to my wife was a whole other matter, lol.

And two days later my FLGS posted on Facebook that they found a new in shrink Chaos in the old world that they had in storage. Ugh! Too many games and too little cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
skutsch wrote:

I like it more than Agricola. YMMV.

Lots of people do, but they seem to like different things than I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I know it's in short supply

Because it is the first print run for a Uwe game. There will be more. No need to grab a game for the shear sake of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
skutsch wrote:
I know it's in short supply

Because it is the first print run for a Uwe game. There will be more. No need to grab a game for the shear sake of it.
Is there sheep shearing in FfO?

I think you meant "sheer".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to its scarcity before xmas buy it try it and if you don't like it I think it should be easy to trade it with just a small loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.