$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.89

6,657 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to read the rule book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I just opened the box, and there's a thin rulebook in it, and an even thicker rules reference book from A-Z. Why?

How did you learn the rules? I'm playing with my sister tomorrow and I'd like to figure out the rules as fast as possible because she's a casual player who doesn't have too much patience learning large amounts of rules. Is the thin book sufficient for the first play, or do you need the large reference booklet as well?

Update: Whenever I ask a question, in 99% of the cases it's a useful and valid question. But in the 1% of the cases you accidentaly don't, you get shit thrown all over you from multiple people. I hope Mr. Taylor S. enjoys his GeekGold.

I'm not that experienced as a player, and almost never play other games than party games, so yeah, I was confused. I could have read the first page of one of these books, but I was silly and asked it here...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
I just opened the box, and there's a thin rulebook in it, and an even thicker rules reference book from A-Z. Why?

How did you learn the rules? I'm playing with my sister tomorrow and I'd like to figure out the rules as fast as possible because she's a casual player who doesn't have too much patience learning large amounts of rules. Is the thin book sufficient for the first play, or do you need the large reference booklet as well?


If you had bothered to even open the books you would have found the answer to your question on the first page of the Learn to Play Guide.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1 of the "Learn to Play" book:
Quote:
This Learn to Play book is written as an introduction to Arkham Horror: The Card Game for new players. It should
be used as a guide while learning and playing the rst game. We recommend that new players learn the basics of the game using the introductory scenario and the pre-constructed decks described in “Investigator Starter Decks,” on page 4. e end of this book also contains an introduction to campaign play and rules for customizing original decks.
A quick reference of keywords, icons, and important game symbols can be found on the back cover of this book.
e complete rules of play can be found in the Rules Reference book, which also addresses more advanced topics such as th e interpretation of card text, the resolution of timing con icts,
and a detailed phase sequence. We recommend that new players become familiar with the game using this Learn to Play book and only look up details in the Rules Reference as they occur in play.

Edit: and I don't even own the game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Before your sit down with your sister, absolutely read through the Learn To Play, perhaps (ideally) alongside a solo 'test' game of your own. Give yourself, say, two hours at a maximum. That will give you the general gameflow. The rest is just interpreting card text by and large, which you can (and should) interpret with THE GRIM RULE (worst of your suspected options is the correct option), or mid-game consult the bigger booklet - the Rules Reference - and hope to luck into a swift answer. I think the RR is a little sloppy/loose in how it alphabetises/cross-references likely look-up terms, so good luck.

If, before tomorrrow, you have an hour to spare, do, do, do watch a youtube playthrough. It will help immensely.

Hope it goes well for both of you!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Atle Hegsvold
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be helpful:
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noaloha wrote:
Before your sit down with your sister, absolutely read through the Learn To Play, perhaps (ideally) alongside a solo 'test' game of your own. Give yourself, say, two hours at a maximum. That will give you the general gameflow. The rest is just interpreting card text by and large, which you can (and should) interpret with THE GRIM RULE (worst of your suspected options is the correct option), or mid-game consult the bigger booklet - the Rules Reference - and hope to luck into a swift answer. I think the RR is a little sloppy/loose in how it alphabetises/cross-references likely look-up terms, so good luck.

If, before tomorrrow, you have an hour to spare, do, do, do watch a youtube playthrough. It will help immensely.

Hope it goes well for both of you!


Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening the 'Learn To Play' rule book to the first page is obviously the best starting point
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jesus Christ this post.

"How did you guys open the box? I'm thinking of opening it tomorrow, but not sure which corner to start from. Any tips on removing the shrink wrap?"
17 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
DrFunkenstein wrote:
Jesus Christ this post.

"How did you guys open the box? I'm thinking of opening it tomorrow, but not sure which corner to start from. Any tips on removing the shrink wrap?"


This is literally every FFG LCG. It blows my mind.

90% of the people who buy these games open it up and then sit there wondering what they do.

There's no problem asking for help, or helping others here, but its getting pretty old. 400 questions a day on the simplest things. All people need to do is read the learn to play book. Any questions that come up you read the appendix book. THEN if its still not clear, asking here makes snese.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFunkenstein wrote:


"How did you guys open the box? I'm thinking of opening it tomorrow, but not sure which corner to start from. Any tips on removing the shrink wrap?"


What? You bee to remove the shrinkwrap to play? I thought you had to spill blood of a virgin and all R`llor himself would fill the rest. Man this game is hard to play.i demand a refund.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be nice. If you don't have something nice to say...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well whenever you do one thing that might be a bit silly in most peoples eyes, you get shit thrown all over you from multiple people. I hope Taylor S. enjoys his GeekGold.

I'm not that experienced as a player, and almost never play other games than party games, so yeah, I was confused. I could have read the first page of one of these books, but I was silly and asked it here...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Well whenever you do one thing that might be a bit silly in most peoples eyes, you get shit thrown all over you from multiple people. I hope Taylor S. enjoys his GeekGold.

I'm not that experienced as a player, and almost never play other games than party games, so yeah, I was confused. I could have read the first page of one of these books, but I was silly and asked it here...


You also got Noaloha and Zodiac providing helpful answers and while mbialek, tonksey, and DancingFool were not diplomatic, their answers were correct as well. On balance, I'd say your self-identified silliness was met mostly with assistance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esgaldil wrote:
Timefortravel wrote:
Well whenever you do one thing that might be a bit silly in most peoples eyes, you get shit thrown all over you from multiple people. I hope Taylor S. enjoys his GeekGold.

I'm not that experienced as a player, and almost never play other games than party games, so yeah, I was confused. I could have read the first page of one of these books, but I was silly and asked it here...


You also got Noaloha and Zodiac providing helpful answers and while mbialek, tonksey, and DancingFool were not diplomatic, their answers were correct as well. On balance, I'd say your self-identified silliness was met mostly with assistance.



My thanks go to Noaloha and Zodiac of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.