$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108.06

6,710 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light dungeon crawler without any roleplaying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Hey guys!

I just found my way back to board gaming after a bit of an off-period.

Me and my fiancé started playing a few cooperative games that we came to love(Pandemic and Hanabi). Now we want to extend our cooperative game library with a new game: A dungeon crawler.

We do, however, have a few issues.
- We want to be able to play a range of players (roughly 2-5) as we sometimes play on our own and sometimes with friends. We want the game to be equally fun either way.

- We want the game to be extremely light on the rpg-aspect. Preferably none.

- We want the game to make us feel as if we're explorers in a somewhat free world(building as we go, like Carcassonne/Tsuro).

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

(Currently we own Descent, but haven't been able to play it as it felt a bit rule heavy and the rpg-aspect of the game keeps us from trying.)

Also, any cooperative game that we may have missed would be of interest!

Best regards,
M
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would suggest taking a look at Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. It's quite light with a relatively quick setup and playtime compared to e.g. Descent and has virtually no roleplaying (just a bit of asymmetrical powers and "leveling"). It accommodates 2-5 (actually 1-5), the dungeon is "built as you go" and the game can be played either cooperatively or competitively.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
At a first glimpse, this looks just right for us. The 'cute-ish' theme will probably help to get my fiancé interested.

Oh, and I might have to add. We do not want any game/dungeon master. Didn't seem as there were one in Masmorra though.

The main issue with RPG's that we want to avoid is games that require us to read or create a story. I wouldn't mind(and I assume we would) casually start making up stories to go with the game we're playing - we just don't want it to be a requirement or a part of the game.

And seeing as we have to introduce people to the game for(perhaps) just one game night, heavy sets of rules are also unwanted.

I will look into Masmorra a lot more. Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, nothing has beat the Dungeons and Dragons series for quick, light, one shot dungeon fun. I would suggest starting with The Legend of Drizzt.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
I have been looking a bit at their series. We own the Lords of waterdeep game already.

But I am making associations between the RPG board games and the rulebooks that they use for their rpgs. Are these games rule-heavy and do they require a lot of "talking"?

We don't mind talking and roleplaying, if it occurs naturally. We just don't want to be forced into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Beitzel
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just saw a video run through of Mice and Mystics on TableTop, played by Will Wheaton and his wife and her kids. It looks exactly like what you are talking about. A simple and light but entertaining dungeon crawl with a light hearted theme that anyone could get into!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mkarl wrote:
But I am making associations between the RPG board games and the rulebooks that they use for their rpgs. Are these games rule-heavy and do they require a lot of "talking"?


Nope. These are not roleplaying games. They are pure board games. Of course, the cooperative nature "requires" some talking, but not in the roleplaying sense. More in a coordinating fashion.

Also, the rules are A LOT lighter than the actual RPG.

Having said that, I would also recommend Mice and Mystics.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
I had a quick look at the video at Tabletop. The game seems great. I'm just concerned about the 'quest guide'-element. Is this requiring any 'reading-out-loud'? How does it work when considering re-playability?

Otherwise, looks great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Alright, so there are no scripts or background stories that we have to read out loud?

I'll try to find the rulebooks online and have a look through. thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While rules-light and cute, Mice and Mystics is all about its story. There is a lot of reading the plot aloud before each scenario. And while the rules are relatively easy, the rulebook is so terrible that it makes the game seem way more complex and confusing than it actually is.

I would even go so far to say that the plot is what makes the game interesting. Gameplay-wise, Mice and Mystics is mediocre at best, it becomes repetitive very quickly. So I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better suggestion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
Another good dungeon crawler is Descent. It does not give the feeling of a free world, as it is a pure dungeon crawler all about getting through the dungeon and killing monsters. But it is story-free and recently got a companion app that removes the need for one player to play the opposition. Pure monster smashing fun.

In case you are into Star Wars, Descent has been re-implemented to make Star Wars: Imperial Assault, currently ranked #15 here on BGG.

Bonus suggestion; if you're in for a fun, light-hearted, silly game, check out Dungeon Fighter (made by the awesome Horrible Games).

Highly accessible co-op games are my number one interest within boardgames. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss that outside of dungeon crawlers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Trantor42 wrote:
While rules-light and cute, Mice and Mystics is all about its story. There is a lot of reading the plot aloud before each scenario. And while the rules are relatively easy, the rulebook is so terrible that it makes the game seem way more complex and confusing than it actually is.

I would even go so far to say that the plot is what makes the game interesting. Gameplay-wise, Mice and Mystics is mediocre at best, it becomes repetitive very quickly. So I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better suggestion.


I see. We will keep looking.

Thanks for your reply!

We basically want a game that allows us to kill monsters, exploring, finding treasures and advancing in level/equipment. But we don't want it to be part of a story.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Eery Petrol wrote:
Another good dungeon crawler is Descent. It does not give the feeling of a free world, as it is a pure dungeon crawler all about getting through the dungeon and killing monsters. But it is story-free and recently got a companion app that removes the need for one player to play the opposition. Pure monster smashing fun.

In case you are into Star Wars, Descent has been re-implemented to make Star Wars: Imperial Assault, currently ranked #15 here on BGG.

Bonus suggestion; if you're in for a fun, light-hearted, silly game, check out Dungeon Fighter (made by the awesome Horrible Games).

Highly accessible co-op games are my number one interest within boardgames. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss that outside of dungeon crawlers.


We currently own descent, but haven't given it an honest chance(due to the story-telling element). However, I was interested in buying Mansions of madness as they had the companion app. I was not aware the same was available for descent.

I will give this a shot to see how well apps can substitute the 'awkward' parts where you'll have to play a story-teller infront of friends and family.

I'll send you a PM asking for other coop games.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mkarl wrote:
We basically want a game that allows us to kill monsters, exploring, finding treasures and advancing in level/equipment. But we don't want it to be part of a story.

Search your feelings: you already have the answer you seek.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness is great for this (2nd ed. obviously). Explore, get stuff, figure stuff out, kill creepies, and the app does all the heavy lifting. Rules are pretty simple - I recently ran a game with an older lady who in other games would hit me every turn asking rules questions, a 13 year old girl, and my wife who's recovering cognitively from a traumatic brain injury...and it worked like a charm. Love the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
We currently own descent, but haven't given it an honest chance(due to the story-telling element).


Decent - although promising "an immersive story-driven campaign" - really doesn´t have that much of a story-telling element. The story just gives you a few lines of background for the objective you have to reach and can be ignored completele if you wish so. And there is absolutely no role-playing required or involved anyway.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister and Claustrophobia are both fun and unique styles on the normal dungeon games.
If you want to try a Sci Fi variant have a look at Space Cadets: Away Missions good game and not as thinky as descent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
wamsp wrote:
Mkarl wrote:
We basically want a game that allows us to kill monsters, exploring, finding treasures and advancing in level/equipment. But we don't want it to be part of a story.

Search your feelings: you already have the answer you seek.


I am not sure what you are referring, but hopefully it's not munchkin(tried it, but didn't get us in the right mood)!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
HvKjr wrote:
Mansions of Madness is great for this (2nd ed. obviously). Explore, get stuff, figure stuff out, kill creepies, and the app does all the heavy lifting. Rules are pretty simple - I recently ran a game with an older lady who in other games would hit me every turn asking rules questions, a 13 year old girl, and my wife who's recovering cognitively from a traumatic brain injury...and it worked like a charm. Love the game.


This sounds promising. I'm gonna try the companion thingy for Descent first to see if that works for us. In that case I think a spooky mansion might be a better setting than caves and dungeons.


Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
yshild wrote:
Quote:
We currently own descent, but haven't given it an honest chance(due to the story-telling element).


Decent - although promising "an immersive story-driven campaign" - really doesn´t have that much of a story-telling element. The story just gives you a few lines of background for the objective you have to reach and can be ignored completele if you wish so. And there is absolutely no role-playing required or involved anyway.


I'll give it a try with the companion app. When we tried it the first time we just did the first mission(and quit in the middle). We read through the mission objectives and felt as if we spent a lot of time setting up and none playing the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
GitFeatures wrote:
Dungeon Twister and Claustrophobia are both fun and unique styles on the normal dungeon games.
If you want to try a Sci Fi variant have a look at Space Cadets: Away Missions good game and not as thinky as descent.


Thanks for your response!

I'm not that into sci-fi in board games. Will leave that one for now.

The Claustrophobia and Dungeon twister seems more like the types of games I'd like to play.

I'm not sure how to decide. It seems a lot to take in and I'm not sure which info I should assess for each game. I am looking at youtube clips and I am mainly finding myself interested in games that have the most charismatic people playing them. (unfortunately)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:


Great game! More deck-builder and board game than dungeon crawl experience, but it might suit the OP's needs. I have it on my table right now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.