Subject: Questions on example of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was running through the example of gameplay in an attempt to learn the rules. I am confused by the examples below. Not trying to nitpick but trying to suss out whether I am misunderstanding the rules or they are incorrect.

1) Got confirmation on the salmonella misprint. No further explanation needed.

2) J8 - The clay mound appeared as part of the Vaalbara Breakup. This should not be possible since it is an ocean landform and oceans are inactive, right?

3) J9. The Mars bug lost a mutation due to the extreme temperatures. I had thought it two red chormosomes (one on the host, one on the rna polyerase), plus heat shields from the Helicase. Even if you couldn't count the chromosome on the mutation, that should be enough to withstand the heat right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
4) One more question. In J9 the parasite lost it's yellow chormosome. This was the diseased chromosome from the helicase mutation. The glossary suggests these cubes are in lockstep. Wouldn't that mean that losing the chromosome would downgrade the mutation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) Landforms always come from the topmost refugia pile for the "Heaven" event, and the bottommost pile for the "Earth" event. The active/inactive status is only for placing bionts.

I can't speak to your other questions w/o setting up and playing through the example (which I plan to do once to check it and resolve any questions of my own, then a second time to record a video demonstrating the two-player example in the rulebook.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
gar0u wrote:
2) Landforms always come from the topmost refugia pile for the "Heaven" event, and the bottommost pile for the "Earth" event. The active/inactive status is only for placing bionts.

I can't speak to your other questions w/o setting up and playing through the example (which I plan to do once to check it and resolve any questions of my own, then a second time to record a video demonstrating the two-player example in the rulebook.)

Sure of that? The rulebook says "draw the top Regugia placard from under the Landform card from the uppermost active Refugia deck with cards remaining. The underlining is from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mat9h wrote:
2) J8 - The clay mound appeared as part of the Vaalbara Breakup. This should not be possible since it is an ocean landform and oceans are inactive, right?

Current living rules don't mention Clay Mound any more, but say instead "Two new biomes appear, both from the coastal landform deck since the cosmos is empty.". So you were right.
And I respectfully disagree with Will: D3 is very clear that new Refugia come from active landform rows.

mat9h wrote:
3) J9. The Mars bug lost a mutation due to the extreme temperatures. I had thought it two red chormosomes (one on the host, one on the rna polyerase), plus heat shields from the Helicase. Even if you couldn't count the chromosome on the mutation, that should be enough to withstand the heat right?

I agree with you, the mars bug was shielded enough not to undergo an atrophy.

mat9h wrote:
4) One more question. In J9 the parasite lost it's yellow chormosome. This was the diseased chromosome from the helicase mutation. The glossary suggests these cubes are in lockstep. Wouldn't that mean that losing the chromosome would downgrade the mutation?

I also believe that losing the yellow diseased cube should have demoted helicase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike & Dom. Looks like I got it wrong. Apologies for steering you the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
gar0u wrote:
Thanks, Mike & Dom. Looks like I got it wrong. Apologies for steering you the wrong way.

No worries. Still have the outstanding question on whether chromosomes on mutations provide the benefits for the host. For example , would they protect from heat extremes or help with the darwin roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mat9h wrote:

Thanks for pointing out these two errors. I have modified J9 in the living rules to correct this:

J9. T TAURI SUPER FLARE (the first Proterozoic Card) The Red Queen becomes a Red Wedding.
• Events. Most Refugia are degraded by cosmic rays. The XX events cause the unshielded Parasite to lose its quorum sensing mutation and its yellow disease cube. The PNA Bacteria also lacks heat shields, so it must lose both Mutations. The thioester-life loses a blue Chromosome. Because the Mars-Bug has two red Chromosomes it does not suffer any Atrophies, but its helicase mutation is demoted because of the loss of its associated disease cube in the Parasite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just sitting here and try to play through the example of play. Emphasis is on try.

Quote:
Two new biomes appear, both from the coastal landform deck since the cosmos is empty.

Which biome appears?

I tried to find the order of the cards before I start to play but it is very hard to extract them from the rules book, this thread and the living rules.

It is hard to find in the living rules the differences from the version from Oct. 22nd and the ones from Nov. 23rd.

Please Mr. Eklund provide us how we have to stack the cards that the replay of the example gets easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Question to J2
Quote:
The Mars Paleo-Ocean and ...

In the setup rules for two and three player games (C Point 5) the bottom most placard has to be removed from every landform. There are three cosmic placards. Therefore only two cosmic placards should be in the example play. Am I wrong?

Ups, just saw the difference between the rule book, the living rules from Oct. 22nd and Nov. 23rd. 2016. In the latest rulebook there is no removal of placards with any player count.

Dear Mr. Eklund, when will there be playable rules? And the latest rulebook with images as PDF to download? Sorry to say, but currently I am very disappointed.

Edir: Corrected typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlleinGespielt wrote:
Dear Mr. Eklund, when will there be playable rules?

The rules out of the box are quite playable. The living rules include changes made since the game was published and they, too, are quite playable.

Regarding the number of Refugia in the starting stacks, follow the rules that came with the game, follow the living rules or make your own decision on how many to have. The fewer cards in the stack, the harder the game (in my opinion) as you have fewer choices as to where to attempt to spark life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says to remove the bottom refugium card, but the example of play in the rulebook didn't follow this rule. These discrepancies are driving me nuts.

The Rulebook says 20 placards, in the game are 16. And for me an example of play has to be easy to setup, easy to follow and to understand the rules. The proofreading and proofplaying the example here was not a real strong point in the development of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.