Subject: When to return unrolled Petroleum dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading through the rules, and am on page 10, where it says:
Quote:
Return any brown Petroleum dice that you rolled back to the supply. All other rolled dice are returned to your player mat.

Is this meant to be a denial strategy? Page 9 indicates you get these dice only for this turn.

It doesn't say simply:
Quote:
Return all brown Petroleum dice back to the supply.

so there's a reason of the rolled qualifier that I'm not getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be shocked if an faq or correction comes forth saying rolled or unrolled petrolium dice get returned.

Since it does state they have to be used that turn that's where I assumed use em and lose em or just lose em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "pool" of 4 brown dice in the general supply. There should ALWAYS be those 4 there on each new turn. You can buy some for your energize phase with oil, and then you return them after rolling them. You never own or block a brown die.

The other dice though, you actually do own and keep for the rest of the game. There are limited numbers and you can thus block someone from making a nuclear plant (by hoarding yellow dice) for example. These dice are rolled on your energize phase but never returned.

Hope that helps.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9, it clearly states in bold print "These gained Petroleum dice are temporary, and may only be used this turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Why not say all brown dice that you rolled?

Especially since it says about petroleum dice on Page 9 "These gained Petroleum dice are temporary, and may only be used this turn.", why would you ever have one that you didn't roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Why not say all brown dice that you rolled?

Because it adds an unintended qualifier to rule state. (See above replies by publisher & designer.)

Quote:
why would you ever have one that you didn't roll?

Because it is one of my first 3 games and I'm not thinking straight, I need to see the dice in my hand to know I don't need (or want) it; and the other players won't let me "take back" the purchase move. The rules on page 9 are clear that I don't have to roll it. So obtaining a brown die that you don't roll is easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right "that you rolled" is unnecessary. But given that petroleum dice are temporary, there would never be a situation where it would be advantageous to spend oil for a die if you were not going to roll it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
yaverot wrote:
Because it adds an unintended qualifier to rule state. (See above replies by publisher & designer.)

He's just being nice, heh.

yaverot wrote:

Because it is one of my first 3 games and I'm not thinking straight, I need to see the dice in my hand to know I don't need (or want) it; and the other players won't let me "take back" the purchase move. The rules on page 9 are clear that I don't have to roll it. So obtaining a brown die that you don't roll is easy.

I assumed you read the whole rulebook and not just part of it, including the part about it the dice being temporary. This is a pretty common thing when people get new games. Hopefully someone at the table would have caught it.

If I was playing with someone that made this mistake, I'd let them take their oil back if they wanted for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.