Subject: Time loss from attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played two games of this, enjoyed the first, but during the second the Mage played the red card followed by the ice cone a number of times on me. This resulted in about 30 minutes (8 player game so more downtime anyway) of me literally doing nothing except losing reputation. I can't think of a less fun experience I've had gaming. It's essentially 'miss a go' for the 21st century, and as fun as it ever was.

So watch out for that. I'll still play it again, but without the Mage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, you're right, that is a powerful and potentially unfun combo.
The only thing that could save the targeted player is when someone attacks and dazes or knocks down the wizard, making her lose the effect of the red card -wich I wonder why it didn't happen in your game as holding the Dragon flagon usually makes you a target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other players let the Mage just sit there and collect 18 reputation over 6 rounds? That's crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair:

a) they were involved in some sort of barrel kicking, chair throwing, area attack, rug pulling battle at the time, and seemed entrenched in it.

b) someone did throw something in the mage's direction, but naturally I was in the way at the time and got hit instead

c) Given the preprogrammed nature, and the fact two of the people were dazed for three actions, it would have been a while before they could have done anything anyway, and that would have had to begin with a 2 time move.

d) It's not really the job of other players to enable someone to actually get a turn

I'm very wary now of cards like bite and ice cone, because if played against someone who's already ahead on the time track they can be played multiple times and there's nothing the victim can do when they are. I'm not sure they're OP in terms of making that player win, but they do make it unfun for the victim.

edit- also, it was everyone's first or second time ever playing the game, so there were no real expectations of what to do or who to go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly the same thing happened in my first game. I'm getting rid of it because its name is basically mud amongst the people I game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.