Subject: Question about the gains of glory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
after prologue, i have a single but critical question about gains of glory during raids:
if you succeed in exploring, you gain one glory, ok so far. But sometimes sometimes articles in the captain's booke make you win upgrade for your raiding ship. As i understnd the rule, this new upgrade doesn't make you earn glory as you only earn glory with upgrade when you buy them not when you earn them freely from the booke... In the opposite case, this will favour too much exploring activity compared to the other ways of getting glory, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of frequently asked questions, but this has got to be the most frequent. Probably been asked 20 times since I started reading these forums. The intention is that you gain 1 glory every time you add an upgrade to one of your ships, however you do it. Same for building structures. This, and lots of other questions, are answered in the "unofficial FAQ" (the publisher hasn't seen fit to give us an official one yet).

The Captain's Log (Unofficial SeaFall FAQ and compilation of rules clarifications and game play information from SeaFall's developers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
There are lots of frequently asked questions, but this has got to be the most frequent. Probably been asked 20 times since I started reading these forums. The intention is that you gain 1 glory every time you add an upgrade to one of your ships, however you do it. Same for building structures. This, and lots of other questions, are answered in the "unofficial FAQ" (the publisher hasn't seen fit to give us an official one yet).

The Captain's Log (Unofficial SeaFall FAQ and compilation of rules clarifications and game play information from SeaFall's developers)

Then this un-official faq is just totally contradictory with the rulebook that states page 15 : "Gain 1 glory for every upgrade bought"

The rules appear to be not so well written and i fear some other debate raise while we advance in the game...

IMO, i am tempted to play it as it is writtent in the rulebook. I just fear that with the errata in this un-official FAQ, the exploration just becomes to rewarding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Then this un-official faq is just totally contradictory with the rulebook that states page 15 : "Gain 1 glory for every upgrade bought"

I wouldn't agree it's contradictory. The rules are incomplete. You're going to find lots of things like this if you keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
msg tools
mbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
IMO, i am tempted to play it as it is writtent in the rulebook. I just fear that with the errata in this un-official FAQ, the exploration just becomes to rewarding...

I would advise against house ruling anything as when you unlock new things it may throw out your game balance.

Yes exploring can be rewarding, but raiding for the upgrade also will earn you the point as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spriggster wrote:
I would advise against house ruling anything as when you unlock new things it may throw out your game balance.

Of course, it could also throw the game balance into balance.

The game isn't particularly balanced as published. That's not to say that someone who hasn't even seen the later boxes is necessarily going to be able to make changes for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
spriggster wrote:

The game isn't particularly balanced as published. That's not to say that someone who hasn't even seen the later boxes is necessarily going to be able to make changes for the better.

i don't want to annoy you but in the un-official faq, there is an answer from Honeycutt that says:

"These endeavors in the captains booke do not afford additional glory - instead, they're used to determine what happens at the site during the resolution."
This is quoted from the Captain's Booke part...

so the question remains : do boat's upgrades give one glory when earned after a successful raid ?

all that fears me: is Seafall a great game doomed by numerous mispelling of rules and plenty of erratas ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
spriggster wrote:

i don't want to annoy you but in the un-official faq, there is an answer from Honeycutt that says:

"These endeavors in the captains booke do not afford additional glory - instead, they're used to determine what happens at the site during the resolution."
This is quoted from the Captain's Booke part...

so the question remains : do boat's upgrades give one glory when earned after a successful raid ?

all that fears me: is Seafall a great game doomed by numerous mispelling of rules and plenty of erratas ????

ok, that's me. Endeavors are rolling dices tests (i have the french rules) so the entry i quote last isn't an issue.

But i keep saying the rulebook is just contradictory with the un-official faq as it is written "Gain 1 glory when an upgrade is bought"

if i don't comply to the un-official faq, do i unbalance the game or not ? or the un-offical ruling brings more balance to what is strictly written in the rulebook ?
Do you know if JR Honeycutt is eager to answer this question ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If a player gains an upgrade in such a manner, and then sinks, will you make them lose glory, even though they did not gain it? What if they bought one upgrade and raided for another? Are you going to track which is which in case this happens?

I think this game will survive a lot of tinkering, but you might just find it easier not to in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is that you simply treat upgrades that come from Captain's Booke entries as having been "bought", but at a discount price (possibly free). This is not much of a stretch, and might be a helpful way to reduce the perception of inconsistency.

But to summarize, you are supposed to gain a glory any time you gain a structure or upgrade (by any means), and that you lose that same glory if you later lose that structure or upgrade. If you prefer to omit this rules clarification, I don't think it will be game-breaking, but it will certainly affect the value of certain game effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.