3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Trying to decide what to get for Xmas - How do you decide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
First Xmas into the hobby - OH got TTR from Santa last Xmas, which opened him up into the hobby, and he's dived right in . .. . . but there's so many games to choose from . .. . so many we both want. . . how do we whittle it down?

Or rather, how do you whittle it down or decide?

I'm already stressing over which gamewright games to get the little for stocking, before we start on the adult presents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a very long (compared to my average monthly budget) to-buy list, with the anticipated month of the purchase.
When I was asked by 2 friends a Christmas list, I gave each of them a list of several games I anticipated to buy in the next months. The lists were made only of games (no gaming accessories) and I put several not-too-expensive games to allow for a choice between a single game or 2/3 smaller ones.
For one of the 2 friends, I put games that were not in my to-buy list but that she could enjoy a lot (games lighter than my usual picks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
When it comes to whittling a large list down to a smaller list, I'd go by the games that are most different from what you already have. Try to build up a diverse range of games (to start with at least).

When it comes down to choosing between a small number of similar games (e.g. 2 worker placement games or whatever), the trick is to accept that 1) you're working with incomplete knowledge, 2) you will never have complete knowledge and 3) it almost certainly doesn't matter. If both games are well rated on BGG (top 200 say) then either will be a fine choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.