Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission 7 Question (Misprint?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tate
United States
California
flag msg tools
Our Mission 7 rules state that during the minion rule phase minions all move 2 spaces towards the objective. We have a suspicion that this is a misprint as the game ends in 4 turns with the accelerated movement. The mission feels right when minions move their normal 1 space.

Has anyone else played this mission? Is it possible with the 2 move, or does our mission folder have a typo? We have found other typos and assumed that to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of fact, my son and I just played Mission 7 this evening and we lost our first try (we run the EZ mode already but still... shake).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We finally won our second try by rushing two mechs to the assembly line and having them standing guard there, destroying any minions coming. The other two were dealing with the crystals. It took us +1 hour to complete this challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totshy wrote:
Our Mission 7 rules state that during the minion rule phase minions all move 2 spaces towards the objective. We have a suspicion that this is a misprint as the game ends in 4 turns with the accelerated movement. The mission feels right when minions move their normal 1 space.

Has anyone else played this mission? Is it possible with the 2 move, or does our mission folder have a typo? We have found other typos and assumed that to be the case.

This mission is too hard. You need a godlike drafting hand in the 1st and 2nd round else you can't win. There is a flaw in this mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mission 7 is probably the hardest in my experience... but it's definitely very winnable.

Are you playing with 4mechs or 2 mechs? It's harder with 4.

I'm sure you do, but just checking: you know that you don't lose when only one minion makes it to the assembly line? I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but I think it's 10 minions before you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doclj86 wrote:
Mission 7 is probably the hardest in my experience... but it's definitely very winnable.

Are you playing with 4mechs or 2 mechs? It's harder with 4.

I'm sure you do, but just checking: you know that you don't lose when only one minion makes it to the assembly line? I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but I think it's 10 minions before you lose.

yes it is 10. it usually end in the 4 or 5 round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hmmm.... don't think we ever had that problem. You should easily be able to make it back by round 4/5... then can defend?

A level 1/2 fuel tank when you get back buys you a good bit of time. A levelled up cyclotron is also very useful for ranged attacks when you are coming around last corner.

Other than that I'm not sure what you are doing wrong? We completed mission 7 first time... and have done it a few times since...

Which minions are getting you? I'll get it out and come up with some more suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
To confirm, all minions move 2 spaces during the movement phase in this mission (and all subsequent missions).

You can do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tate
United States
California
flag msg tools
We were playing 3 player and speed didnt come up in our drafts. We simply couldn't make it to the assembly area before 10 minions hit at the end of round 4. The 2 move felt incredibly harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tate
United States
California
flag msg tools
doclj86 wrote:
Hmmm.... don't think we ever had that problem. You should easily be able to make it back by round 4/5... then can defend?

A level 1/2 fuel tank when you get back buys you a good bit of time. A levelled up cyclotron is also very useful for ranged attacks when you are coming around last corner.

Other than that I'm not sure what you are doing wrong? We completed mission 7 first time... and have done it a few times since...

Which minions are getting you? I'll get it out and come up with some more suggestions.

Largely its all of them. We played 3 player and from the starting position it seems incredibly difficult to make it 8 spaces forward and a few spaces left/right. We lost 3 times in a row where we were still trying to get movement cards and the minions left us in the dust going strait to the assembly area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok so using the set-up diagram and compass as reference:

Your 2 best options for choke points are the 4 squares yellow side of yellow and red gates on central assembly zone boards:

Therefore you need to rush a mech into each of these areas. The closest starts to that are blue side start, and the bottom right side of yellow board. Both of these starts require only 6 movement to reach the choke point. You should be able to get there easily by turn 3... or 2 if the right cards come up.

Once there they are not only slowing minions down... but the majority of minions must come through there. once there change some of that movement into close range killing: scythes, cyclotrons consider a fuel tank.

I'd start your 3rd player on the right green board starting point. This is because this is where the bulk of the minions start... so that play can thin the wave from that side out... a blaze and flamespitter looks like an awesome start... but I think 2 skewers to protect crystal will actually be better.

This should get you over the initial hit of this mission with probably about 4 doom remaining... from here the minions actually spawn pretty slowly until you lock in 2 crystals... and your mechs should be strong enough to defend and send someone out to get last crystal!

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tate
United States
California
flag msg tools
doclj86 wrote:
Ok so using the set-up diagram and compass as reference:

Your 2 best options for choke points are the 4 squares yellow side of yellow and red gates on central assembly zone boards:

Therefore you need to rush a mech into each of these areas. The closest starts to that are blue side start, and the bottom right side of yellow board. Both of these starts require only 6 movement to reach the choke point. You should be able to get there easily by turn 3... or 2 if the right cards come up.

Once there they are not only slowing minions down... but the majority of minions must come through there. once there change some of that movement into close range killing: scythes, cyclotrons consider a fuel tank.

I'd start your 3rd player on the right green board starting point. This is because this is where the bulk of the minions start... so that play can thin the wave from that side out... a blaze and flamespitter looks like an awesome start... but I think 2 skewers to protect crystal will actually be better.

This should get you over the initial hit of this mission with probably about 4 doom remaining... from here the minions actually spawn pretty slowly until you lock in 2 crystals... and your mechs should be strong enough to defend and send someone out to get last crystal!

Hope this helps!

Thanks! We will give it a shot next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Well... I noticed that one of the things people tend to do wrong is, pick up the crystal, get hit and try to retrieve the crystal before going for the chocking point/base.
It's actually best to just leave the crystal for later, as you need to get to the middle asap. After you upgraded a bit, you can go and get the crystals.
I remember we had 3 jobs devided in this mission when we played it (played with 3 people). One to protect the base (that was me, every turn blowing away one side of the base)
A tank to get the crystals... with 3 seperate skewers and the upgrade to be able to put 2 minions on each skewer.
And the third... I believe the third didn't do that much, just trying to retrieve a crystal he dropped earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_citizen wrote:
Well... I noticed that one of the things people tend to do wrong is, pick up the crystal, get hit and try to retrieve the crystal before going for the chocking point/base.
It's actually best to just leave the crystal for later, as you need to get to the middle asap. After you upgraded a bit, you can go and get the crystals.

Yeah, that was what we did during our second play. The crystals are of secondary importance. The first and foremost is protecting the assembly area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.