Subject: Preferences and Habits of Board Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yu-Chi W
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

My name is Yu-Chi, and I am currently a PhD student in Educational Psychology at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

I am conducting research about preferences and habits of people who play board games.

Because of your experience with these types of games, I would like to invite you to participate in a brief, 5-10-minute survey regarding your game preferences and habits. Your responses will be used to inform future research on the benefits of playing board games.

Thank you so much for your time and participation!

Board Game Preferences and Habits Survey

EDIT: Participants must be at least 18 years of age. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Marx
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
Completed, good luck with your study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Malmberg
Canada
Barnwell
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Completed. I too had to find a bunch of people for some research recently, and I was very happy when people stepped up and did my survey for me. Best of luck in your studies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and done. Would be interested to see some posted results if possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done! Good luck with your study
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Game with your family, it really is wonderful.
badge
B.F.W.M.F.W.H.E.
mbmbmbmbmb
Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On average, how much do you enjoy playing the following types of board games with others in-person?

"Not at all" straight down the line.

Is this survey particularly interested in those kinds of games, or is there a major blindspot in the survey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClericID wrote:
... Would be interested to see some posted results if possible
Yeah, what he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yu-Chi W
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
did it

EQoD wrote:
Completed.

siredofk wrote:
Completed, good luck with your study.

Perks55 wrote:
Completed. I too had to find a bunch of people for some research recently, and I was very happy when people stepped up and did my survey for me. Best of luck in your studies.

losfp wrote:
Done! Good luck with your study

Abysmul wrote:
Done

Thank you to everyone who has completed my survey!

ClericID wrote:
Done and done. Would be interested to see some posted results if possible

Once I finish collecting and analyzing the data, I will definitely post back on here with my results! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yu-Chi W
United States
flag msg tools
mb
curtc wrote:
Quote:
On average, how much do you enjoy playing the following types of board games with others in-person?

"Not at all" straight down the line.

Is this survey particularly interested in those kinds of games, or is there a major blindspot in the survey?

lelandpike wrote:
ClericID wrote:
... Would be interested to see some posted results if possible
Yeah, what he said.

Thank you for completing my survey!

I only included the types of mechanics that I am primarily interested in to keep the survey as brief as possible.

I appreciate your feedback, and I will definitely keep it in mind for future studies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question about preferred player numbers is meaningless - I turn up wanting to play specific games which determines the number of opponents I desire, rather than hoping there will be 4 others then thinking about what we could play. Because of the games I like, 4 and 5 players (inc me) are best, but I have other games that work better with other numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed.

All the questions were meaningful and well thought out. Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be an issue with selecting the buttons. For one category, I made a selection, then thought of a game we like to play that fits that category, so I needed to change my response. When I clicked a different button, both were selected. I had to reload the page to clear the responses.

You should probably include a question about the group(s) people play with. Someone who plays with the same few people each time will need to use different social skills than if that person regularly played with strangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survey erroneously assumes boardgaming habits are standard and linear in each participant.

For all the questions my general responses would be:
1. Depends on who I am playing with or who I am going to be playing with
2. Depends on where the game will be played
3. Depends on the time available

I game in a number of varying circumstances, one size does not fit all. My Monday night group is quite different to my Thursday night group which is different to both my Saturday groups which are different to each other. Playing at home is different, sometimes that is the Thursday night group, and so is playing two player games and games with my niece and nephew....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Done, glad to help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed the survey.
Hope you get many of participants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
tallboy wrote:
Survey erroneously assumes boardgaming habits are standard and linear in each participant.

For all the questions my general responses would be:
1. Depends on who I am playing with or who I am going to be playing with
2. Depends on where the game will be played
3. Depends on the time available

I game in a number of varying circumstances, one size does not fit all. My Monday night group is quite different to my Thursday night group which is different to both my Saturday groups which are different to each other. Playing at home is different, sometimes that is the Thursday night group, and so is playing two player games and games with my niece and nephew....

This is exactly my situation. I have one group where we play fillers and party games, one group for euros, one group for war games that last 20 or more hours, and I game with a 6 year old and 82 year old mother. For each group my responses would be totally different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed the survey.

I was confused about one part of the survey. It had questions of the form (paraphrased from memory): “How important is the following when selecting board games to play? Luck.”

Is this asking whether the amount of luck is important or whether luck itself is important? I happen to dislike games with a lot of luck, so how do I vote? “Very important” or “not important at all”?

(For the record, I voted “very important”.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Done meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is not driven by competition, victory, or mastery, I found the questions to be irrelevant to me. I play games for fun, with my friends. It seems strange to me to not have "game is fun" in the reasons for choosing a game. This seems tailored to a specific type of gamer, one I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed taking this survey. There were some questions where I could answer "Depends on the situation", but for the most part there was a clear answer that stood out from the others for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have missed it but when/where will we be able to review your results / findings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.