Subject: Learned a lot my first game - spoiilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Played my first game with Roland. Got to the 3rd act and the Ghoul Priest came out. I had NO weapons. I had the card "Hyper Awareness" but I used that for a skill test and I should have kept it for that +1 agility each turn...might have helped evading the Ghoul.

I did have a couple allies who I used as meat shields when I lost the evade tests. Did put two damage on the Ghoul but it was not enough.

Lost 3 sanity before he showed up so eventually I had to make 3 straight evade attempts and I lost all those so I was toast.

Still fun and now I know a bit more of what I need to do.

The rules are not too bad after watching a table top video and reading these forums a bunch of course.

Going to enjoy this quite a bit. LOTR will still get plays but for awhile this one will be on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I REALLY wish there was a player action window when monsters attack in their attack phase that let you play event cards. The Ghoul Priest doing 2 life / 2 horror without recourse really sucks as far as mitigation goes. You cant for example play 'Dodge' because its not a triggered ability. You can only play the triggered (sideways lightning bolt) abilities that cost 0...

The key for defeating the GP for me was luring it to a room with 1 clue left and having Lita, but still 2life/2horror felt beastly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:
I REALLY wish there was a player action window when monsters attack in their attack phase that let you play event cards. The Ghoul Priest doing 2 life / 2 horror without recourse really sucks as far as mitigation goes. You cant for example play 'Dodge' because its not a triggered ability. You can only play the triggered (sideways lightning bolt) abilities that cost 0...

The key for defeating the GP for me was luring it to a room with 1 clue left and having Lita, but still 2life/2horror felt beastly.

As I understand it you can mitigate the damage through your assets/allies. (Example Tira or the beat cop, or other ally) can take the brunt of the attacks if you successfully pass her Parley skill test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:

You can play Dodge in that situation. It is a fast event. The RRG page 11 says you can play fast events from hand any time its play instructions specify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

You can play Dodge in that situation. It is a fast event. The RRG page 11 says you can play fast events from hand any time its play instructions specify.

hmm the manual specifically says in the timing chart only the triggered/sideways bolt actions can be played.

does that mean 'fast' can be played at any point there is a player action window in the timing charts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:

You can play Dodge when monsters attack in their attack phase:

Pg. 11 of the Rules
"A fast event card may be played from a player’s hand any time its play instructions specify. If the instructions specify when/after a timing point, the card may be played as if the described timing point were a triggering condition for playing the card."
"A fast asset may be played by an investigator during any player window on his or her turn"

A couple of questions for the OP:
When you say a couple of allies, do you mean at the same time? You can only have one ally.
And why were you trying to evade three times in a row? If you already had a couple of damage on the Ghoul Priest you might have killed him with three Attacks even with no weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Steerpike wrote:
[q="BloodyCactus"]A couple of questions for the OP:
When you say a couple of allies, do you mean at the same time? You can only have one ally.
And why were you trying to evade three times in a row? If you already had a couple of damage on the Ghoul Priest you might have killed him with three Attacks even with no weapons.

No, I had one ALLY out, he died, then the next round brought another ALLY out.

I lost a few attacks and did not trust another attack and wanted to evade so I could move to a new location without him so I tried the 3 evade actions in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
My very first game was a solo Roland one.

Drew rotting remains twice before the Ghoul Priest ever spawned.

So yeah, once he arrived I fell to his horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
My very first game was a solo Roland one.

Drew rotting remains twice before the Ghoul Priest ever spawned.

So yeah, once he arrived I fell to his horror.

I had the same happen in my first two games as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.